Life’s four questions on meaning

What if a person feels he has all the 4 things (wonder, truth, love & security) when it comes to meaning… what should we enquire about next…
it’s as if asking a person already filled with happiness to seek happiness…

2 Likes

Hi @Aro_Viki
this is a good question to consider. Are you sharing this conversation with a friend of yours?

Can you share a little as to what grounding this happiness is rooted in? You mentioned that they are filled with happiness - which is good, but if the happiness is rooted in something temporary that will pass away; then what?

The pursuit of pleasure in and of itself is also eventually empty as King Solomon found out. Ravi shared a message well worth a listen on the problem of pleasure.

If your friend is completely happy; and has all the answers for the ‘Meaning’ Category of a worldview at this stage in life; perhaps move onto the Morality category; with the question being: How do they tell what is right and what is wrong?

Ask them, in the pursuit of meaning (pursuit of happiness):

• How do they know what is the right way to do this?
  • What is wrong with pursuit of personal happiness at the expense of others happiness?

We all make daily decisions about right and wrong, so this might cause this person to think; and perhaps you can lead the conversation to the Moral Law Giver argument if they do not believe in God at all.

hopefully a few helpful thoughts - please feel free to share more as you see fit. By the way, a really warm welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Matt,

First of all, thank you so much for responding. This is great insight.

I am actually talking to a friend about the reason for the faith that is in me :slightly_smiling_face:. There were many questions that were discussed and knowing him and from the past conversations I came to an understanding that he is a content person who is filled with happiness around him. I am trying to see the one video sermon I heard from Dr. Ravi about how to tackle issues beyond the question of meaning.

I’ll check the video that you sent. Thank you so much. Have a blessed 2020 :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @Aro_Viki
Happy new year! I’m glad this is a helpful starting point, and so glad that you are having this conversation with your friend.

Ravi suggests there are 4 areas that make up a persons worldview. We were talking about meaning and morality.

The other two areas are origins and destiny. If we can talk about even just one area, this is good and will make people think.

4 worldview questions

Origin:
How do you think the universe came into existence?
How do you think human life began?

Meaning:
What is the purpose of human life?

Morality:
How do you determine good and bad?

Destiny:
What will happen at the end (at death)?

Here is a very good video also from Ravi about these 4 areas, and the question of Christianity being true.

Also, as I’m sure you do, make sure to pray for your friend, as you share. Ask questions to learn more as this opens the conversation up and that way it’s not a battle of intellectual ideas but of mutual sharing.

Feel free post further questions to the forum as you are able, or share how your conversation progresses. May your friend see Jesus love through you.
In Christ
Matt

2 Likes

Absolutely Matt. Thanks a ton :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am just trying to put things together. I love Dr.Ravi, I completed his Core Module course last year and from then on I have been practicing these interview question at different levels toward different audience. Thanks for giving me these extended inputs. God Bless!!

1 Like

Ah that’s brilliant, yes the Core Module was really good. I need to go back myself and rewatch some of the Eastern religious thought modules. It was the best course I’ve ever done and would recommend it to anyone.
God bless and all the best to you for 2020.