Life's meaning according to Bible

(Tsilise) #1

Hello everyone,
The question which lately occupy my mind surround the meaning and purpose of life.
I am interested to know whether Bible explicitly points to way in which our lives are to be lived so as to fulfil our life’s true meaning and purpose. And what according to Bible is the true meaning and purpose of our lives?

(Cameron Kufner) #2

Great question. As far as how we should conduct ourselves, in the New Testament we can find many examples of how we should live, either in all of the gospels or all in the writings of Paul. As far as the Old Testament, we can find how we should live to honor God in books such as Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, to name a few.

I would say the overall goal we should all strive for is to love God with all our heart, all our mind, and with all of our soul/being. We should present our lives as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, for this is truly the way to worship him. (Romans 12:1)

That’s the best answer I have, until I think of something more to add. God bless!

(SeanO) #3

@Tsilise In the Bible, our purpose is to love God and love neighbor. But oftentimes we, at least I, want to know exactly what God wants us to do in terms of our profession or in terms of ministry. And it can be frustrating when we lack clarity in those areas.

But I think we must be careful not to make an idol out of finding our purpose in life - even if that is ministry. Ultimately the Bible calls us to find our rest in Jesus - we are human beings, not human doings. It is not what we do for Christ that matters most, but who we are in Christ.

To that end, I believe God calls us to grow in wisdom, love Him and love others. And if we do that, we can trust that He will provide and guide, even in the midst of uncertainty.

This thread has some thoughts on working through this question at a deeper level:

(Carson Weitnauer) #4

Hi @Tsilise,

I really appreciate this question. Thank you for starting a good conversation!

Another way of expressing the idea of loving God and loving our neighbor, as Cameron and Sean have mentioned already, is to have faith in God and to live faithful lives. To imitate the example of Jesus, “Not my will, but your will be done” as the prayer of our hearts.

What this looks like in principle varies tremendously based upon our own circumstances. There is no way to give up responsibility for our lives to God. As our loving Heavenly Father, he is actually inviting us to take responsibility for our lives and to walk in a mature way. As we come to know Christ more intimately, and are active in the life of a good church, we grow up into the likeness of Christ, so that we love as he loves us. (For instance, Ephesians 4:1-16).

Part of the paradox is that as we increasingly depend on God, we find the natural freedom, desire, and ability to live according to God’s purposes in our own unique life circumstances. He doesn’t keep telling us, like a parent tells a young child, “Eat your vegetables”, instead, he celebrates as we make mature decisions about what to eat - and of course, make God-honoring decisions in all the weightier measures of life too.