Live Stream Discussion: Ravi Zacharias and Vince Vitale: "You Shall Know" (That I Am Lord)

livestream

(Carson Weitnauer) #1

Please join us for a community viewing and discussion of the live stream featuring Ravi Zacharias and Vince Vitale on the theme, “You Shall Know” (That I Am Lord).

The live stream is embedded here and will start on October 5, 2018 at 7:00pm EDT (Atlanta/New York):

We will look forward to watching and discussing this evening’s presentation together!

This discussion will be especially moderated by @Brian_Weeks. Please reach out to him or the @connectmoderators if you have any questions or concerns about the discussion.

We believe that active engagement leads to deeper transformation than passive consumption.

See you Friday!

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

(Brian Weeks) #3

Hi friends,

I’m looking forward to seeing you here in a few hours! Please let me know if you have any questions as we approach the event.

(Anthony Costello ) #4

@Brian_Weeks

Hi Brian, do you still need help moderating the event?

What do I do?

Anthony

(Anthony Costello ) #5

@Brian_Weeks

Hello? Any one else here?

Anthony

(Brian Weeks) #6

Hi friends and welcome to our first ever live streamed event here on RZIM Connect! Please use this thread to share your thoughts and questions on this event. I’m looking forward to our time together!

(Brian Weeks) #7

Hi Anthony, it’s great to see you here. I think we have it taken care of, but I’d love to hear any contributions you might have!

(Jimmy Sellers) #8

Like Anthony what do I do? Is this the public site or is this Connect ony?

(Anthony Costello ) #9

Hey Jimmy!

(Jimmy Sellers) #10

And to you.

(Anthony Costello ) #11

Who was the Oxford scholar that Vince just referenced? Was that Swinburne? I didn’t catch the name.

(Brian Weeks) #12

Hey Jimmy! This is open to anyone who’s joined Connect.

(Brian Weeks) #13

That was it, Anthony. Richard Swinburne. Here’s his book, The Resurrection of God Incarnate: http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/0199257469.001.0001/acprof-9780199257461.

(Jimmy Sellers) #14

Where is the event streaming from?

(Anthony Costello ) #15

Scholastic theologians made distinctions between kinds of belief in God: credere Deo, indicated a belief in the propositional truth of the Scriptures, credere Deum, indicated a belief that God exists, but credere in Deum, indicated a salvific faith; a personal relationship with God.

Vince presented all three.

(Brian Weeks) #16

The Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State.

(Brian Weeks) #17

As Vince explains that the Christian faith is a worldview strongly supported by falsifiable evidence, my gratefulness to God for his choice to reveal himself and give us minds capable of comprehending and rationalizing the evidence of his existence is kindled yet again.

Vince said everyone believes in a virgin birth. It seems, essentially, he’s tying it in with the cosmological argument that basically says that every effect has a cause - I find this to be a very compelling argument for the existence of God.

So far, Vince has addressed the cosmological argument, the fine tuning argument, and the argument for the resurrection of Jesus. I’m curious, is there any one of these you find most compelling? If so, why?

(Brian Weeks) #18

For those interested in saving the story Ravi just read, here you go:

This is the story of a country bumpkin type of fellow who goes into the ministry and wants to find a job preaching and thinks he knows the scriptures and so he goes to an interview. And the interviewer says to him, “Well Sam, will you just tell me how much you know about the scriptures? As an example, tell me the story of the Good Samaritan.”

And Sam says, "I will. Yes sir, I will, I will.

Once there was this man travelin’ from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among thorns, and the thorns sprung up and choked him. An’ as he went on he didn’t have no money, and he met the Queen of Sheba, and she give him 10 talents of gold an’ 10 changes o’ raiment. An’ he got into a chariot and drove furiously. And when he was driving under a big juniper tree, his hair caught on a limb of that tree and he hung there many days and many nights, and the ravens brought him food to eat and water to drink, and he ate 5,000 loaves of bread and two fishes.

One night when he was hangin’ there asleep, his wife Delilah come along and cut off his hair, and he dropped and fell on the stony ground. But he got up and went on, and it began to rain, and it rained 40 days an’ 40 nights, an’ he hid hisself in a cave, and he lived on locusts and wild honey.

Then he went on ‘til he met a servant who said, Come, take supper at my house, and he made an excuse and said, No, I won’t. I have married a wife, an’ I can’t go. An’ the servant went out in the highways and the hedges an’ compelled him to come in.

After supper he went on and come on down to Jericho. An’ when he got there he looked up and saw that ole Queen Jezebel sitten’ down way up high in a window. An’ she laugh at him, an’ he say, Throw her down out there, an’ they threw her down out there. An’ he say throw her down again! And they throwed her down again 70 times seven, and of the fragments that remained they picked up 12 baskets full, besides women and children, and they say, ‘Blessed are the piecemakers’. Now, whose wife do you think she will be there on that judgment day?”

(Anthony Costello ) #19

I haven’t heard Ravi use these vivid examples of human evil before. I think, as hard as it is to hear about these manifestations of evil, it is critical to understanding the depths of human sin.

One of my professors, Clay Jones, has spent his entire career documenting human genocides and the most egregious atrocities committed by human beings against other human beings. When we see what human beings, what we, are capable of, we can only praise a God who saves us from such depravity. _

_

(Anthony Costello ) #20

Here is Clay Jones’ most recent book on the topic of human evil: