Livestream: Where Do Our Values Come From? An Evening with Ravi Zacharias

Where Do Our Values Come From? Livestream:

During the event, please feel free to add your questions and comments as a reply to this Topic. We expect all comments to meet our Terms of Service.

Event Overview

On Friday, July 19, the Zacharias Institute will host its third event in the #TrendingQuestions series, “Where Do Our Values Come From?” Our featured speaker will be Ravi Zacharias!

Date and Time:

7:30-9:30pm EST
Friday, July 19

Self-Study Material:

9 Likes

Great talk tonight. Here is what I gathered so far, but I missed some spots.

Main premise: We agree with humans on the presence of evil and the power of love. However, Christians the worldview to explain the origins of evil and love.

Quotes

Sin is a choice that you make. Evil is a condition that then overtakes you.

You can’t just keep it at an abstract nature of evil. It has to come down to the human heart.

Can you really talk about evil without an absolute moral framework? Can you talk about education without looking into the human heart?

We talk so much about the hiddenness of God, but the reality is the hiding-ness of man.

“I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt.” This is the only world view where redemption precedes righteousness.

I love the law because of Whose law it is.

The Christian response, focusing tonight on Genesis.

• Imago dei: made in the image of God. Intrinsic worth and reflective splendor.
  • Male & female: Diversity in form, unity in worship.
  • Sovereignty of the Creator and the stewardship of us over creation.
  • Theology of life, autonomy of the individual. (We have been given the freedom of choose, not to sever the consequences.)
5 Likes

The concerns of the church especially hits home for me.

I mourn what the church has done to itself. In our desperate attempts to be relevant, we have lost the Truth.

Os Guinness would say, ‘Relevance has become irrelevant if Truth has become irrelevant.’

Find the burden God has placed on your heart and lighten the load in that particular area.

3 Likes

Ok, last post for me. Looking forward to hearing others’ thoughts!

• What stood out to you most?
  • Did the talk tonight remind you of any other Bible passages or current events?
  • What will you take from this #TQ episode and carry back to your everyday life?
2 Likes

What stood out to me most?

I found some questions concerning as to their origin.

Did the talk tonight remind me of any other Bible passages or current events?

Nope, just personal stuff.

What will I take from this #TQ episode and carry back with me?

Dr. Ravi’s synopses of the moral argument and how it applies to Dawkins and Harris.

1 Like

I am sure I have heard before how the astronauts took communion and had a moment of silence on the dark side of the moon. But if I did , I had forgotten.

This just shows to me how far our culture has fallen from the Judeo-Christian values that Ravi spoke more at length on in another segment. I am quite certain that would not be allowed today unless the astronauts were to do it unbeknownst to the institutions. Maybe NASA didn’t know about it then, but I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have been able to get the elements on board with it being approved.

And with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, this is one story you are sure not to hear in the media as the event is remembered and celebrated.

3 Likes

I was struck by Ravi’s comment contrasting what we think of as the “hiddenness of God” when it’s really we that are hiding from God. Once he said it it seemed so obvious.

How many persons feel drawn to the cross but stay back because they feel so ashamed, so unworthy. Thinking one day I’ll be a better person, and then…

Have any of you experienced a circumstances where you wanted to hide from God?

3 Likes

@Jesse_Means_God_Exists These are just questions I hastily wrote to get conversation started. I would love to hear more of your thoughts. Were there questions you were wondering while watching the video?

@Jennifer_Judson brings up some great thoughts and different angles. I especially like your thought of how many of us think one day we’ll be a better person worthy of accepting God’s gift of the cross. Quite true.

1 Like

@Brittany_Bowman1, there were parts where I admittedly got somewhat emotional. I am not a detailed oriented person so I don’t often remember specifics, but I will say it was very impactful. To the gravity of the morality that was discussed as to what some people do was somewhat frightening and surprising at the same time. I am talking about when Ravi talked about the people on death row.

Something that moved me was when I heard Ravi talk about the astronaut who demonstrated that the first food eaten on the moon was a communion meal. I thought that was very cool.

2 Likes

Yes i do many times, but then i have to keep reminding myself God loved and redeemed me not because of who i am or what I am or where i am but because of who HE is…

3 Likes

Amen. Well said.

2 Likes

@ReSound-TruckDriver That’s an interesting point. I hadn’t realized communion was taken on the moon mission, either. I looked into it more and found these links interesting. @Jesse_Means_God_Exists mentioned this, too.

The first point in the Gospel Coalition article stood out to me. Buzz Aldrin was an elder at his local church and said after his landing, “We wanted to express our feeling that what man was doing in this mission transcended electronics and computers and rockets.” Aldrin had consulted his pastor, Dead Woodruff, who reflected, "“One of the principal symbols is that God reveals himself in the common elements of everyday life.”

Pretty powerful stuff. I’m going to ponder this more, and I’d love to hear your thoughts. I think my question would be, what elements do we experience in our everyday lives (like Aldrin saw the computers and rockets), and how can we lift those up towards God? It’s probably different for each of us in our careers.

I agree with you on the trend of modern conversations shying away from faith-based conversations. I work in communications, and I can get so frustrated. Yet, I think one of the most powerful parts of Aldrin’s story is that he, too, faced opposition, and NASA had even had a lawsuit brought against them for the astronaut’s reading of Genesis on the Apollo 8 mission. Yet, I think God used that opposition as a reminder He is doing the working for His light to shine, not us. When Aldrin gave the small opportunity that he had, just asking for each listener to offer up thanks in his or her own way, God still shone through.

In that sense, it was kind of a mirror of our own lives as Christians. We don’t save ourselves, but we do humbly clear out the distractions in our lives and invite God in, who then is the one who does the working in our lives. I’d love to hear your thoughts! In your all’s line of work, how do you create space for Christ in your personal interactions, and how do you walk the line of giving acknowledgement to Christ without pushing Him onto others? Are there other examples in history where you can think of someone giving God space, similarly to Aldrin did with his request for thanksgiving?

I’m a new professional and always looking to learn from wiser folks. I’ve chatted with Carson and others about it before, and one helpful tip I gleaned was to simply let others know we are Christian, as then we can gauge their level of interested reaction. Vince Vitale also mentions in one his talks about just talking about church as a regular part of the answer to “What did you do this weekend?” This weekend, I was doing that, and I asked, “Would you like to go with me?” To my amazement, without hesitation the person said “Yes.” I felt pretty foolish for not asking before. So, needless to say, I’m always looking for ideas… because I’ve got a lot to learn. I’m starting to learn it’s less about what we can’t do and more about just giving God what we have.

The Guidepost article says Buzz Aldrin quoted a verse from Psalm 8 at the end of the mission. It’s a beautiful passage, and I pulled verses 3 and 4, which Aldrin quoted. Are there any other Bible passages that stand out to you on the glory of God’s creation?

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?

2 Likes

Thanks for the summary Britanny. I particularity like the idea that we have the freedom to choose our actions bur remain responsible for the consequences of our actions.

2 Likes

Wow. Just saw Ravi on livestream, though only a portion. In listening to his weak and raspy voice preach the beautiful gospel of Christ, sometimes even in whispers, I couldn’t help but think, the flesh may be weak, but the Spirit is powerful, willing and able.

2 Likes

Amen! I think a soft voice helps us listen that much closer.

As always, it was amazing.

2 Likes