Looking to understand mother's death at age 7

Hello,

Where are you from?
DC

What led you to join Connect?
I subscribe and listen to some of the podcasts.

• Ask Away
  • Vital Signs
  • Let my people think

How do you hope to contribute?
I am tremendously thankful for your ministry and the direct impact it has had in my life. Allowing me to think through questions I’ve been wrestling with.

Most recently I was wrestling with “My mother died when I was 7 years old from breast cancer and God loves me”, I’ve also been wrestling with “Do we have free will and where does it come from?”

While reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination
I came across:

He directly wills the good, indirectly wills evil consequences of good things, and only permits evil.

So God did not will my mother’s death but he did permit it.
And God shows his love for us through Jesus on the Cross.

Also still wrestling with free will:
Determinism vs Free Will: Crash Course Philosophy #24

Looking for thoughts and feedback on where I am and approaching this.

-Leo

5 Likes

Welcome Leo @lapolonio. I am so glad you are here. I am so sorry to hear about your mother. The hardship in our life is challenging and life changing. But I am so glad you are asking the important questions, because without God, our creator and father, all of life will not make sense.

“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis

In terms of the free will and determination, refer to a link below.

I hope this helps.
God Bless.

2 Likes

@lapolonio Welcome to Connect brother :slight_smile: When it comes to trusting God amidst this painful and broken world, I really like the way Philip Yancey describes faith. I recommend his book “Where is God When it Hurts”.

“I have learned that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse.”
― Philip Yancey

There are so many instances in my life where the “why” question is still not answered. But I do my best to cling in faith to the following truths through prayer and intimacy with God:

• Jesus weeps with us
  • Jesus walks with us
  • Jesus will wipe away every tear

May His peace be with you :slight_smile:

John 11:32-35 - When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34 “Where have you laid him?” he asked.

“Come and see, Lord,” they replied.

35 Jesus wept.

Matthew 11:28-30 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Revelation 21:4 - ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

“We tend to think, ‘Life should be fair because God is fair.’ But God is not life. And if I confuse God with the physical reality of life- by expecting constant good health for example- then I set myself up for crashing disappointment.”
― Philip Yancey, Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud

“If prayer stands as the place where God and human beings meet, then I must learn about prayer. Most of my struggles in the Christian life circle around the same two themes: why God doesn’t act the way we want God to, and why I don’t act the way God wants me to. Prayer is the precise point where those themes converge.”
― Philip Yancey

https://www.amazon.com/Where-When-Hurts-Philip-Yancey-ebook/dp/B000SEONA6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=where+is+God+when+it+hurts&qid=1590260928&sr=8-1

5 Likes

Thanks for the resource. I think I want a Christian explanation that aligns with the scientific understanding of free will.

If you have time watch the video and give me your thoughts.

1 Like

Hey @lapolonio. I will and let you know. :ok_hand:

God Bless.