Loose Belief in God

(Alexander Keniston Rhodes) #1

Hello everyone. I’ve recently made a bunch of relationships with people who believe in God, but see Him more as just a comforting presence to rely on in difficult times and feel satisfied with this perspective of God, feeling no need to have any sort of serious committal to Him or think more deeply about what the implications of an existing God would be. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to dig deeper with these friends and start taking a more serious look at the implications of God existing in a loving way?

(Claire N Streb) #2

Oh, He should be revered and praised and worshiped, because He should be so much more than a crutch! And, it sounds like you know that, hence your question. Have you seen Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ? It can get pretty gorey, but some people have been blown away by just how much Jesus did for us that they were never the same since. Praying/Talking with God with a wholehearted desire for your pursuit of Him will get you what your seek, because Jesus said, “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” Also, “Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.” God Bless You! You are in my prayers today.

(SeanO) #3

@akrhod20 Tim Keller says there are 3 fundamental reasons people get more serious about faith: intellectual, social and emotional. I think the best way to get these folks to go deeper into their faith is to invite them into an environment where they can be around believers who take their faith seriously, ask the tough questions and experience genuine Spirit filled worship. Maybe get together with a few other Christians and invite some of these folks to just spend time with you and see what a serious Christ life is all about.

(Alexander Keniston Rhodes) #4

Thank you both so much for your feedback. I’m starting up a Bible study with some friends and am trying to make it open to all backgrounds, so hopefully that will provide a good opportunity for people to come and learn mote about what life with Christ is like.

(SeanO) #5

@akrhod20 May the Lord Jesus guide your study, bring the right mix of people and work in the hearts of those who come that they might know Him more.