Love 'in all it's forms'

Hi there,
on Valentine’s Day this year, there was a gif sent around by Tim Cook (CEO of Apple) saying today we celebrate love in all it’s forms…the gif of course showed girl-girl, boy-boy, boy-girl etc.

My question is…how do you counter this argument?
Especially when gender ‘whatever’s’ are getting married in the name of love.
The argument being that love is pure,irrespective of it’s expression.

1 Like

Hi, Jet glad you can pose a tough question like this. I think a lot of us have received some type of gif or something similar like the one sent to you, it’s part of our cultural ethos. I think the first thing you can do to counter this argument, is to have the person you are talking to define love and lust. This is where it can be a bit cumbersome for the person you are speaking to. So defining love is a good starting point coupled by defining lust. A simple question: What is the difference between love and lust? If the definition of love is pure, you can have the person define pure or talk about purity. It’s a matter of asking good questions, listening to him or her intently, and demonstrating a genuine empathy for that person. This is a simple answer, and maybe it’s not what you are looking for as an answer. I believe the key to sharing the gospel is having good questions to ask. If you don’t know the answer, get back with the person at another time and talk more on the subject. 1John 4: 7-12 Great question, I’m sure others can add and give insight to this topic.

1 Like

@MJM Hi!

I almost feel like this is really part of a much larger conversation about what it means to be in a relationship with Christ.

However, if I was on social media and I saw a post like the one you’re describing, I might respond, at least initially, and in the spirit of 1 Peter 3:15, by mentioning that the greatest true love there is, is the love which exists between Christ and His people, and also inviting this person to read the Gospel of Matthew(or whichever Gospel you prefer), especially if they’ve never encountered Christ before.

I think initially, I would focus more on inviting people to know Christ, rather than discussing any particular Christian doctrine. I’ll give this example as to why I think that is.

When a person is single they aren’t going to want to live like a married person. So if you tried to impose a married lifestyle on a single person they aren’t going to understand why they would want or need to live that type of lifestyle. Likewise, a person who isn’t in a relationship with Christ(“single person”), isn’t going to understand why they would want to live as a Christian(“married person”).

So, just like in an earthly relationship, a single person won’t understand married life, until they meet someone they want to be married to, so too spiritually, they won’t understand being a Christian until they meet Christ and want to enter into a relationship with Him.

So, I might start the conversation by mentioning the love that Christ has for His people and then inviting the person to read a specific Gospel. Hopefully, that will start a much longer conversation about what it means to be in a relationship with Christ through the context of a marriage.

You might find the following YouTube video from Sam Allberry helpful. He discusses his life and how he was drawn to Jesus. He also does a Q&A after his speech which I found helpful.
Sexuality, Identity and Christianity: Who am I? Sam Allberry

I also found this YouTube video from Ravi Zacharias helpful.
Love Cannot Be Defined Apart from God | Valentine’s Day

1 Like

Hi Jet. What a complicated question, but one so relevant to today.
First, I think one way to counter this attitude of love in any expression, might be to ask what love is and what it is not. In asking that question, you bring out what lies deep within a person’s definition of love. You see how much of himself is involved. Today’s culture says, “If it feels right, do it”. That definition appeals to our base emotions or inner desires. It doesn’t seek to benefit the other, but the individual. This type of love is bound up in self. It only satisfies for the moment. But when this love, based on feelings, is put to the test, we discover its shortcomings. As soon as a wrong is incurred from the other person, the initial reaction is to do one of two things: retaliate or retreat. In my opinion, it is rare to see this type of love forgive.

I think 1 Corinthians 13 gives us something by which we can measure what true love is and what it is not. “True love” is defined as the highest love one can have. It is God’s love for man and man’s love for God. It is also love for one another. God’s love is unconditional love, as demonstrated in 1 Corinthians 13. But that doesn’t mean that God’s love is not unattainable for man, or God would not have put it in Scripture to teach us. Christ was the ultimate demonstration of love and we are to follow His example.

According to 1 Corinthians 13, Love is not:
Prideful, false, deceitful, or hypocritical. It is not jealous. It does not seek to build one’s self up; is not arrogant. Love does not act unbecomingly or dishonorably; does not seek its own good (selfish); love isn’t angered easily nor keeps a record of another’s wrongs. Love doesn’t delight in evil or injustice.
Love is:
Patient, longsuffering, perseverant. Love serves others. Love rejoices in truth—not just spoken truth, but truth in all revealed spheres of reality, morality, divine truth. Love always protects and guards closely; love has faith in and trusts; love is hopeful and expectant. Love stands fast.

This love is true emotion, so much so that it sacrificed itself for the sake of regaining the love that was lost in the garden.
Seeing what the nature of true love is and what it is not, we need to ask if that is what the culture means when it says, “If it feels right, do it.” It actually is superficial compared to Corinthians.

Second, I would also ask if one considers one’s self moral. An atheist might deny the existence of morality. Yet, if he or she is wronged, what is the response? My point is, like it or not, agree or not, humans have been created to be the image of God. That does not necessarily mean God’s physical form, but His nature. He has instilled that nature within us. So that we will know what His morality is, He has told us throughout Scripture. He has specifically told us what sexual immorality is in all its forms. They include sex between people of the same sex; sex outside the bounds of marriage; sex that is a perversion…the forms of sex that are expressed in your question. So, if one considers himself moral, that morality is from God and he can’t agree that today’s culture is moral when it allows sex freely in any form.
I hope I’ve given you some perspectives into ways you can respond to today’s cultural definition of love.