Luke 22:3- Satan and Judas

(whitney doweary) #1

Hello Everyone,

Ive been having a hard time understanding Luke 22:3 when Satan entered Judas while in the Upper Room. I wanted to know if Satan was a fallen angel then is him entering humans something that

1. only the demonic CAN do
  2. only the demonic CHOOSE to do
  3. only the demonic VIOLATE Gods will and Angels like Michael and Gabriel out of choosing Gods will do not choose to do so.

The question was raised while studying the other night and I began to think about that more and more. Satan was once an angel and after the fall he was cast out. I don’t see anywhere else in the Bible that shows an Angel entering into humans, but I do see that the demonic enter not only humans but animals as well.

Is this part of choice? or is this something that has been given to them due to the fall?

Thank you to all who take the time to answer these questions. Blessings!

3 Likes
(SeanO) #2

@WDOWEARY I am not sure that we can know the answer to your question. The Bible tells us that satan has been a liar from the beginning and is the father of lies and yet that he was cast out of heaven by Jesus’ victory upon the cross and can no longer accuse us. The Bible also clearly indicates that people can surrender themselves to evil spiritual beings in some form or fashion. But I do not think the Scriptures give us many details about this spiritual realm and the abilities of these beings. Rather, we are to seek the Lord, delight in Him and have nothing to do with evil.

I think of a conversation Frodo had in the Lord of the Rings when leaving the Shire about the black riders:

‘I am deeply grateful,’ said Frodo; ‘but I wish you would tell me plainly what the Black Riders are. If I take your advice I may not see Gandalf for a long while, and I ought to know what is the danger that pursues me.’

‘Is it not enough to know that they are servants of the Enemy?’ answered Gildor. ‘Flee them! Speak no words to them! They are deadly. Ask no more of me! They are deadly. Ask no more of me! But my heart forbodes that, ere all is ended, you, Frodo son of Drogo, will know more of these fell things than Gildor Inglorion. May Elbereth protect you!’’ Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Thankfully Jesus already won the victory! And we have no need to fear. Some additional resources are below. Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

1 John 5:18 - We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-War-Believer-Spiritual-Warfare-ebook/dp/B00XNPCI0E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1545162534&sr=8-10&keywords=spiritual+warfare

“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about devils,” C. S. Lewis noted in The Screwtape Letters . “One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.”

We are swimming in the deep end of the mystery pool, with many unanswered questions on which the Scriptures are simply silent. How could a morally pure creature rebel against God? Why did the other angels join the revolt? When did all of this happen?

Even though Christians don’t know all the answers, we know the God who does. And we know that “the reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil” (1 John 3:8).

3 Likes
(whitney doweary) #3

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply to my question. When I read the Bible I submit that every word is true and my questions that I raise are just from being in awe of the scriptures and setting that events are taking place. I do agree that there are things that we may never know about the spiritual realm and perhaps its for good reasoning. I know that people can start to go down a dark path out of fascination and the quest for the all knowing so I thank God that He is enough. I do appreciate the literature that you suggested and I plan on purchasing this to help better understand.

2 Likes
(SeanO) #4

@WDOWEARY Of course - hope it was helpful :slight_smile: Connect is about questions and conversations, so feel free to add any additional thoughts / insights you encounter. It is always good to ask questions - even if we do not have an exact answer, it strengthens our minds and often helps us to go deeper in our knowledge of the Word!

2 Likes
(Kenny) #5

Hi @WDOWEARY, that’s an interesting question that you brought up. Actually I didn’t know that Satan entered Judas as well haha. :slight_smile:

Though I don’t have a direct answer to the Enemy (as a fallen angel) entering Judas, I do have one where a non-evil spirit enters the believer.

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? (1 Corinthians 3:16)

I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. (Ezekiel 36:27)

Many other verses also support that the Holy Spirit fills the believer and the gift of tongues is a proof that the Holy Spirit dwells in them.

All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. (Acts 2:4)

============

I believe it stands to reason that if your body is the temple of God, and the Holy Spirit dwells in you, it will not allow another evil spirit to dwell in the temple of God.

If memory serves, I don’t think any believer after the crucifixion has been possessed by any evil spirits.

As a new creation, we have full authority over the forces of evil.

The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.” He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven. (Luke 10:17-20)

In that day, because the believer did not have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them, they are susceptible to demonic possession.

============

Not sure if this adequately addresses some parts of your question.

(whitney doweary) #6

Hello Kyrie,

Thank you for responding. I really do appreciate it when anyone takes time out of their day to help me in any way. I really don’t know where I stand when it comes to having a direct answer on possession. Personally I do know of ppl who proclaim Christ yet had to be delivered from evil spirits. I guess it’s just a topic we all could agree to disagree on without getting off course. I’m very happy to hear from a fellow brother in Christ so again thank you :pray:t3:

1 Like
(Kenny) #7

No problem! @WDOWEARY

I do lean more towards, someone who is a new creation, not being able to be possessed by evil spirits, based on what I shared above though.

Do you mind sharing what was the issue that the individuals have where they are required to be delivered from evil spirits?

1 Like
(whitney doweary) #8

Someone very close to me was taken over by a demonic spirit and this person is in Christ. This person faced a lot of rejection and abandonment in their life and when she gave birth she encountered the demonic. Ill never forget it. Now I’m not sure if it was a struggle in the spirit where obviously the Holy Spirit was victorious, but i cannot deny this persons faith in Christ Jesus. I understand where you are coming from and I took that stance myself when I witnessed this, but it’s so hard to rationalize. This person I know encountered this after she gave birth to her second child. The room got very cold and i noticed that she was being very clingy more than usual. She didn’t want to be alone. Her husband came home and he began to feel the cold presence and then heard his wife speak in another tone. The voice mocked him, laughed at his praying, and then spoke of harming. He was able to get her in the car and their child as well in terror as they made their way to their pastors home. On the way to the pastor the voice told her husband that he couldn’t save her and laughed.

When her husband told me all that happened after I left it was hard to digest. This person was trembling when he told me what took place. He never experienced this. If you knew the person who had the encounter you wouldn’t for a second question their faith in Christ at all. I’m lead to read the word of God more about this so praise the Lord.

I don’t dismiss your belief in what you shared, but I do believe there are some things we just simply will never fully understand.

Blessings

(SeanO) #9

@WDOWEARY @Kyrie made some great points. There are a few things you may want to consider:

• there is a difference between being harassed by evil spirits and being indwelt by evil spirits (demonized) - Paul the apostle was afflicted with a thorn in the flesh and Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, but neither was actually demonized
  • a person suffering from great emotional distress / hardship or psychological turmoil may behave in very strange ways without being demonized and also experience disturbing thoughts / voices in their head
  • evil spirits could be attacking without the individual themselves being demonized

In the case of your friend, you are assuming 2 things:

• that their experience was one of demonization rather than spiritual attack or emotional / mental turmoil
  • that they were genuinely saved

Both of those interpretations of the evidence, while I trust you have good reason for making them, may be false. I am very sorry to hear of your friend’s experience - it sounds like it was very traumatic - may the Lord Jesus continue to protect, shield and strengthen them with His love and grace :slight_smile:

If we read Scripture, we see that God is a jealous God when it comes to us and He will not allow us to be associated with demons. How much less to be demonized if His Spirit is in us? Also, Jesus talks about how in order to drive out satan the strong man must be bound, but who is strong enough to drive out the Spirit of God? No one!

I Cor 10:21-22 - You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. 22 Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

Mark 3:24-27 - If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end. 27 But no one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

I think that sometimes when we go through traumatic experiences it is easy forget what we have affirmed in worship - He is the Great I AM!!!