Luke11:19

Hi everyone, today was reading Luke and 11:19 “And if I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? So they will be your judges.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭11:19. stuck in my mind, why Jesus asked :
By whom do your sons cast them out?
I pressume the crowd would say by God. And who he ment by sons. Then He said , “so they will be your judges”. What did he meant here?

1 Like

Good question, @komartanas!

I believe He was pointing out their hypocrisy - their double standard. In their eyes, Jesus could do nothing right - even if He did the exact same thing that their own disciples did, they would attribute the best means and motives to their own disciples, and the worst to Him.

Therefore, they shall be your judges.. When a critic behaves that way, he exposes more about himself than about the one criticized.

I hope this will help you.

5 Likes

@komartanas, I think you’re right that Jesus’ question assumes they would answer that their sons exorcise demons by God’s power. This assumption, then, points out their hypocrisy, as @jlyons commented, because they cannot witness demons being cast out and say on one hand that their sons do it by God’s power, yet Jesus does the same thing by Satan’s power.

For this reason, Jesus says, their sons will judge them for accusing Jesus of doing Satan’s work.

3 Likes

Hi Martynas,

You have brought up and interesting question here. I always find it helpful to have a good understanding of the situation as I try to understand some of these interesting points in scripture. :thinking: The cross references for this passage in scripture are Matthew 12:22-30 and Mark 3:22-27. In both of these passages it is clear that the comments that you are referring to were specifically made to the scribes and the Pharisees in particular and not to the crowd in general. It was the scribes and the Pharisees who were challenging Jesus because He was demonstrating in a very real way that He had more authority before God than they did. They did not like this. :neutral_face:

I believe that when Jesus refers to their sons, He was referring to those under the authority of the scribes and Pharisees that were engaged in the same practices (driving out demons). These other sons (those under their authority), would be their judges because they placed themselves under the authority of the scribes, but the scribes were not willing to place themselves under the authority of Jesus who had demonstrated in a very powerful way that He had greater power and authority. But they would not submit to Jesus…so one day they will be judged for not being willing to submit to Jesus authority. :frowning_face:
May the Lord bless you as you try and grow deeper in your understanding of God’s word.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your time and thoughts.
So moving on to next passage for example in Mark 3:27 “No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.”
‭‭ i dont understand exactly what Jesus here means with this parable. Is He staiting that He is tha one who is able to come in to a man and “ bind” the demon and spoil demons house and set the man free?

2 Likes

Hello Martynas,

Good follow-up question, some of these phrases within scripture can be difficult to understand. :thinking:
As I try and understand this passage I usually like to understand the context of the passage which means that I have to read Mark 3:20-35 to fully understand what is happening in the passage that you mentioned. So let me see if I can explain it for you.
Jesus enters a house and begins to teach. At this point His family does not understand who Jesus is as the Son of God. As usual Jesus teaching would be centered on Him being the Son of God to those that are listening. Thus His family thinks that He is “out of His mind”. Then the teachers of the law come along and take it one step further. They say He is “possessed by demons”! So Jesus tells a parable. Maybe I can tell you a parable that will help you to understand the parable that Jesus told.

If you are a sports fan….say soccer, suppose one of the strikers on a team, started playing for the other team. The ball comes near him, so he starts to take the ball to his own net. Then he starts to take the ball away from his own team and giving it to the other team. If this happened then his own team would lose the game. A team divided against itself cannot stand. :soccer:

Jesus applies this principle to the spiritual realm, if demons are fighting against each other than evil will not stand, the devils end will come. Ultimately Jesus is pointing out that those on the side of evil don’t fight against each other, and so if Jesus is doing something good He cannot be on the side of evil. :men_wrestling:

Next Jesus moves into the story about the strong man coming into the house. Jesus is progressing the parable of the battle between good and evil. So he was getting those around Him to evaluate what He (Jesus) was doing and see if it is good or evil. If it is good then He has to be on the side of God, thus good not evil. Jesus being on the side of God was not something that the Pharisees liked, in fact they hated it, which is why they were challenging Jesus to start with. :frowning_face:

But I would have to add that this gives us reassurance that whichever side of the battle is stronger in our lives will win the battle. If our relationship with Jesus is strong there can be no stronger man that can come and over power Jesus in our lives. :muscle:

May the Lord be the strong man in your life as you seek after Him. :smiley:

2 Likes

The outline:
Jesus casts out a demon from a deaf and dumb person (Luke 11:14). The Jews ascribe this to the power of Beelzebub (Luke 11:18). Jesus counters their blasphemous accusation and vindicates his conduct of casting out the demon with the power God (finger of God) in the verses that followed. We can understand better by reading Luke 11 verses 18 and 19 together, but it is always better to read the entire passage of the event.

The man was possessed with a demon. The indwelling demon took away both his sight and hearing. Beelzebub was considered the lord of idolatry. He is the worst among the demons. The prince of idolatry is the chief of wickedness.

1. This demon makes himself master of the heart, the eyes, and the tongue of the sinner. His heart he fills with the love of sin.
  2. His eyes the demon blinds that he may not see his guilt, and the perdition which awaits him.
  3. His tongue he hinders from prayer and supplication but increases his liberty in blasphemies, lies, slanders, etc.

None but Jesus can redeem the man from this threefold captivity.

1 Like

Thank you for replies!

1 Like