Making Disciples

discipleship

(Joshua Elder) #1

One of the great works of the Holy Spirit living in our lives is making disciples of Jesus Christ. We are called to go into all the world to do so. We as Christians often spend ourselves in different ways trying to plant, water, and see growth in those who have not yet come to know the Lord. How do we do it? What is our way of making disciples? This quote from Charles Spurgeon suggests that we should look at how our Lord Jesus made disciples and do the same:

“Soul-winning must be meat and drink to us. To do the Lord’s work must be as necessary as food to us. His Father’s work is that in which we also are engaged, and we cannot do better than imitate our Lord. Tell me, then, how Jesus set about it. Did He set about it by arranging to build a huge Tabernacle, or by organizing a monster Conference, or by publishing a great book, or by sounding a trumpet before Him in any other form? Did He aim at something great, and altogether out of the common line of service? Did He bid high for popularity, and wear Himself out by an exhausting sensationalism? No; He called disciples to Him one by one, and instructed each one with patient care. To take a typical instance of His method, watch Him as He paused in the heat of the day. He sat upon a well, and talked with a woman,—a woman who was none of the best. This looked like slow work, and very commonplace action. Yet we know that it was right and wise.” Charles Spurgeon An All Around Ministry

How have you worked to make disciples of Jesus Christ?

Do you agree with Spurgeon about emulating Christ in calling disciples one by one?

What mistakes and successes have you made that have informed your understanding of making disciples?

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi Josh, I think this is an important topic for us. May we see the sacred dignity and value in each individual. The world is changed through Bible studies over a cup (or two) of coffee.

I found Robert Coleman’s The Masterplan of Evangelism to be an incredibly helpful guide to personal discipleship. My understanding of how he would present the material now is that discipleship involves the following steps:

1. Incarnation
  2. Selection
  3. Association
  4. Consecration
  5. Impartation
  6. Demonstration
  7. Delegation
  8. Supervision
  9. Reproduction

Here’s a nice summary of the book:
master-plan-of-evangelism.pdf (49.5 KB)
(Found at http://www.efcc.org/am-site/media/fit-bk-master-plan-evangelism.pdf)

(Tim Ramey) #3

Josh & Carson, this an incredibly huge but ignored subject. Of course we are suppose to live Jesus but I know that I need to be more proactive. If I were to see someone walking out in front of an oncoming speeding car, I would yell, “Stop!” But we watch people walking towards the edge of the cliff and shrug our shoulders. It’s not only an issue of eternity but as Keith Green once sang, “How can they live without Jesus?” I often have a hard time with life even as a Christian but I’m forever grateful that Jesus is in my life. When I hear of someone receiving Jesus on their deathbed, I’m so happy to hear it - yet I think, what a waste. They lived a whole life without knowing the One who is everything to us.

Carson, I ordered the book that you recommended from the library. I really want to grow in this area. Josh, you asked what works and what doesn’t. We have a lodge and being a loving witness to the guests is important but even more critical is the testimony to our staff - many of whom are from overseas. When I’m one-on-one with them, I hit it head on and ask them where they are spiritually. That’s works wonderfully for the right ones but has not been so great for others. Sometimes they relate and other times they don’t, but when I tell them my story after hearing theirs, they listen because they know that I am sincere. How I beg the Lord to give me the right words that will at least plant a seed.

Yes Josh, I agree with Spurgeon that most of us will not be Billy Grahams. I want so much to grow in this area of just one soul for Jesus. I don’t l know if you saw the movie, “Hacksaw Ridge”. I want to be like that soldier - “just one more Jesus, let me save one more.”