Support RZIM Connect

Making of King James Version Bible

Hello,
May I know some information about King James family tree?Will you please help me to know relationship between King James and making of King James Version Bible? Difference between King James Version Bible and New King James Version Bible?

4 Likes

Hi Pranjali,

Pleasure to meet you through this forum!

I’m certainly no expert on this, but my understanding is that the King James Bible was the culmination of English Bible translation traditions up to that point in 1611. In other words, there were at least seven major English Bibles which came before the KJV, which the King James translators referenced while they did their work. These were the Wycliffite Bibles (whole Bible appeared around 1380), Tyndale’s New Testament (1525?), Coverdale’s Bible (1535), Matthew’s Bible (1537), the Great Bible (1539), the Geneva Bible (1560), and the Bishops’ Bible (1568).

After this, for about three centuries, the KJV was the most widely-used and respected English translation. As Leland Ryken puts it, “The KJV was the Bible of the English-speaking world throughout that long interval” (Leland Ryken, The ESV and the English Bible Legacy, 26).

As for the relationship between King James and the King James Version, I don’t personally know too much, but I believe that King James was the one who authorized the work (in other words, he’s the one who commissioned the KJV translators to do their work). After they completed, it seems that he had a big part in distributing copies of it to the people. This probably would account for part of its success.

As for the New King James Version and its relation to the KJV, I honestly don’t know. The New King James Version probably attempts to preserve as much of the King James tradition as possible, having its close relation to the KJV and embodying the same/similar translation philosophy, but updating the language for a more modern-day context. It’s probably still an “essentially-literal” translation (as opposed to what is called “dynamic equivalence” or “thought-for-thought” translation).

What is probably another thing to think about is what sources (manuscripts, papyri, minuscules, etc.) the translators use. This tends to impact what translations people consider reliable, since some have different priorities on which families of manuscripts they use and prioritize. But that is probably now reaching the edges of your questions here.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions!

God bless!
Jason

Soli Deo gloria.

8 Likes

Thanks for your wisdom and knowledge on the subject of KING JAMES BIBLE very interesting and educating.
God bless you :pray:

5 Likes

Yes Jason,
Thank you so much for your answers so much informative and helpful.
God bless you.

4 Likes