Married to a Jehovah's Witness

I’m crazy about my wife. But not long after we married she became a Jehovah’s Witness (perhaps due to deep respect for her mom after she moved from her mom’s house to mine). She participates in Watchtower events 2-3 times per week. Now this is not all bad. I like every JW I’ve ever met (with one exception). I also have Mormon friends in the neighborhood (I moved to Utah in 2002) and always felt blessed when I joined my last wife at her Eastern Orthodox church and was friends with the priest. All of this has resulted in a revival of sorts in my own faith such that I know I’m closer to God than ever before in my life. I have searched the scriptures daily to see whether what these folks say is so. (So much of it is not so!) And I don’t want to be outdone in devotion to God than those of these other faiths.

She agreed last month to sit down and spend the morning telling about each other’s faith. My three points, presented firmly but with as much love as I could muster, were (1) There is abundant testimony in the Bible to the deity of Jesus Christ, (2) Why should anybody desire to follow a faith that was founded by a false prophet? (3) JW has a shameful history of covering up child sex abuse among members.

I won’t ask for prayer that she may be converted, a very low-percentage scenario (O me of little faith!). I just want to be convinced that she’s going to heaven! The Bible says, If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you will be saved. The Bible says, Whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. Jesus said the two great commandments are: (1) Love the Lord thy God … and (2) Love your neighbor as yourself. My wife does all of these things. Doesn’t that mean that she’s a member of the family and household of God, though “misguided” (a theologian’s euphemism for “heretical”)? Can anybody who denies the deity of Christ be called a Christian?

At this time in my life my fondest aspiration is to take captive every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your point of view.

Hi Charles, this can be a very confusing issue. It is easy to get tangled up by their doctrine if you aren’t equipped ahead of time. If you took the Core Module, i believe there was one video that specifically and scripturally explained the Jehovah’s Witness religion and how it disagrees with the principles of Christianity.

Also, on the search icon at the top of the screen, I searched the words Jehovah’s Witness and came across another new post from someone - a Christian - who is getting married soon to a JW. You could search the other posts about the subject because there are many good responses.

But basically, the precepts of the JW religion are not coherent because they claim to believe the Bible but also follow a subsequent revelation which says that Jesus is not God. I also found a very thorough History of Jehovah’s Witness on catholic.com.

I prayed for you that the Holy Spirit will guide you in all truth as Jesus said He would in John 16:13. I prayed that you would have clarity in your own heart about your belief in Jesus and that your love for Him would grow deeper and that this love would be what changes your wife’s heart. Walk in His power for the Kingdom of God is not in word but in power (1st Corin 4:20).

Be blessed on your journey!

2 Likes

Marion, thanks for the advice and for that lovely prayer.

Marion, I searched but couldn’t find. Can you tell me specifically where to find that post?

Yes, so in the search type in Jehovah’s Witness. A series of posts will come up. Scroll down to the one that is titled Can a Pentecostal marry a Jehovah’s Witness. There are some older ones as well if you scroll down further.

Alternatively, here’s the link! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I read every post. Sadly, the unanimous opinion here – among fellow Evangelicals – is that my Jehovah’s Witness wife is not going to heaven.

I sense your pain. Never lose hope. Remember…God loved her when He created her, He loved her before you even knew her, He loves her now, and perhaps He brought you into her life to show her that love. God wants to be in relationship with her even more than you want this for her. Pray fervently for Gods grace not only for her but for you as well. Believe in miracles.

2 Likes

I found peace surrendering it to Jesus. Praying in situation due to Rage and Abusive speech back then. God took care of me. Now God has used me to pray and lay hands on him and Jesus healed him of cancer. God lead me throughout. I had to develop a mantra FORGIVE to live and every day choose to LOVE. Asking the LORD to renew my mind. Heal my heart. And I have prayed for him constantly. I have prayed for God’s interventions, healing on his heart, mind, and soul. Asked God to break bondage over him. His abused past. It is a day to day thing. Remember Jesus in Isaiah 54 tells us He is our Spouse/Husband. He has to be the perfect. He has to be the source to feed our souls. One day at a time with the LORD. Everything we desire in relationships has to be JESUS. He is the only one that matters. He will help you through. Don’t give up!

3 Likes

Hi @Charles_Beall,
Thankyou for the honesty of your posts, and showing how much you care for your wife.

My wife and I have been trying to witness to Mormon missionaries that come to the door, last week we were able to share the Gospel with two young ladies which was quite encouraging (detail here if interested).

I’m not at all experienced in talking to Jehovah’s Witnesses, but if possible you want to look for a question that will cause the house of cards to come tumbling down.

In the RZIM Training Core Module Course, we learnt about 4 questions that make up a person’s world view. I wonder if Origins might be the category you might try to talk about to your wife?

Origin:
How do you think the universe came into existence?
How do you think human life began?

Meaning:
What is the purpose of human life?

Morality:
How do you determine good and bad?

Destiny:
What will happen at the end (at death)?

For Mormons there are two things; they have a logical problem with the origin of the universe and the fact that God (Heavenly Father) is actually an man who has reached ‘exaltation’ (godhood), as is Jesus, and essentially they have a recurring ‘men become elevated gods’ into the eternal past. Therefore they cannot explain the origin of the universe as their ‘God’ is not eternal.

the second one that we ask; because they have a works based salvation you can try to ask something along the lines of ‘at what point in your life will you know you have reached enough works to be worthy of heaven’. With Mormons, salvation happens after all they have done as it says in 2 Nephi 25:23b (in direct contradiction to Ephesians 2:8-9).

The reason I share this Mormon perspective is perhaps this article below might be a simple demonstration of the logical inconsistency for Jehovah’s Witnesses view of Jesus being a god, and yet in their New World Translation in John 1:3 it states very similar to any credible translation that Jesus created all things.

If interested, there are a couple of other threads on the forum also. (in this thread there is linked a document which may be of interest also; it was very helpful for me as it has a section on Mormons)

And I’m sure you’ve seen some of the evangelism sites such as https://www.4jehovah.org/ and https://www.4witness.org/

Thinking of you as you show Christ’s love to your wife, and we pray that you will see fruit for your efforts to reach her. :pray:
M

3 Likes