Matt 9:2-7

(Marvin Kam) #1

**Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

3 At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!”

4 Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 6 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” 7 Then the man got up and went home.

In this healing, Jesus had to say twice to heal the cripple. Is it because of the doubts in the scribe’s hearts who were present there that causes the delay?

5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?
Please help explain this verse? Which is actually easier and why?

Thank You!
MK

2 Likes
(Sara Isaac) #2

Hi Marvin! In Mark 2:7, it continues and says: “Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” Jesus continuously collides with the scribes and pharisees in every occasion as He tries to declare who He really is. So, He could have just healed the man! But in almost every miracle you read, Jesus does not only eliminate the defect or the illness but He adds something to the person and discloses something deeper about Himself.
His deeds were really supernatural and fascinating: walking on water, feeding the people, giving sight to blind men…etc But Jesus was trying to shift their paradigm. Even if every problem disappeared at sight, it wouldn’t be enough. The pharisees refused Jesus to be the Messaiah because he didn’t conform to their agenda. They needed a great political leader who would save them from oppression, and instead they found someone telling them to love their enemies, walk an extra mile with them and pray for them. Though politics is not a bad thing, nor politicians are evil, but a real change could only come from within. And that’s the harder job actually. God took on the harder job, He gave Man free will, and He is trying to win him over without actually overriding this will.
Andrew Fletcher once said, **" Let me write the songs of a nation–I don’t care who writes its laws". Jesus was composing a new song for us to sway along.
In Matthew 7, He says, On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness." He is trying to shift our eyes from what is glamourous to what is true and real. To live from the inside out.

4 Likes