Matthew 16:27 saved by works?

Matthew 16:27 says “For the son of man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels and then He will reward those according to his works.”
Is this speaking of salvation, as in the reward will be based on works? It kind of sounds like it’s separate from salvation and just referring to like extra blessings?

4 Likes

Hi Sadie,
yes I think you’ve hit the nail on the head; this is talking about a loss of potential rewards for the believer. We know that salvation is not of works at all; Ephesians 2:8-9 but of course we want to do things that are of eternal value in a response of love to Christ ‘who loved us and gave himself for us’.

there is also the passage about what kind of works Christians do; as to whether these works will be of any eternal value… in 1 Corinthians 3:11-15, we can do things that are compared to wood, hay or stubble, that don’t have any eternal value; or we can do things that are like gold, silver or precious stones. As Christians, we want to try to be like the Apostle Paul; who was looking forward to seeing Jesus at the end of his life and hearing the words ‘well done, thou good and faithful servant’…

just a few thoughts; hopefully a helpful starting point, and looking forward to others input too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Sgpage happy Sunday dear
I believe that what the Lord meant in this scripture is the account of stewardship which will be considered in his righteous government as to how diligent and committed we were in our service to him.

2 Likes

Matthew 16:27 and 28
For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

This was the glorious Christendom, the kingdom which Jesus Christ was now about to set up, by the destruction of the Jewish nation and polity, and the diffusion of his Gospel through the whole world. This was the wonderful display of God’s grace and preaching by the power of the Holy Spirit after the day of pentecost. The reward spoken is for the apostles and their successors in the sacred ministry of preaching the Gospel. This kingdom is not the New Jerusalem, the kingdom yet to be set up at the second coming of Christ.

Verse 28 confirms the above explanation. Our Lord is evidently speaking of the establishment of the Christian Church after the day of pentecost, and its final triumph after the destruction of the Jewish polity. The destruction of Jerusalem, and the Jewish economy took place about forty-three years later. Some of his disciples and followers no doubt survived the destruction of Jerusalem by Rome in 70 AD and witnessed the extension of the kingdom of Christ.

Hi Sadie!

I’d just like to point you to Romans 14:10-12 (ESV)

10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me,
and every tongue shall confess to God.”

12 So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Verse 10 states that we will all stand before the judgement seat of God and (v. 12) give an account of ourselves. We will have to answer for our good works, bad works, and evil works. If you’re saved, the evil works have been paid for and taken away, if not, you will be condemned for them, but we will be rewarded based on the other. How did we live our lives? Did we take advantage of the opportunities God gave us to witness and show His love and mercy? This is where we will receive our crowns and then immediately throw them back at the feet of Christ. I’m certain I will be in tears because of the way I have lived, but He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” (Rev 21:4)

What a wonderful promise!!

1 Like