Matthew 18 lost sheep and angels

Under the parable of the lost sheep, Jesus says to not look down on one of these little ones because “their angels” always see the face of My Father in Heaven. Whose angels are these? Why the possessive?

I am not hung up on angels, there is just so much mentioned about them as I am reading through Matthew.What did people at that time think of angels? I know they knew that angels could appear to them as real men, such as near Sodom and Gomorrah and in Genesis.

1 Like

@plantaseed Great question :slight_smile: Based on Matthew 18:2-6, we know that little ones are Jesus’ disciples, those who have humbled themselves before God like children. We see a similar sentiment echoed in Hebrews. There are angels who minister to God’s Church. We also see this in Revelation.

Hebrews 1:14 - Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

I think the following Study Bible definition of angels makes a good point - the Scriptures never reveal to us everything we might want to know about angels. There is a lot we just don’t know, but we do know that they are servants of God who minister to those that belong to Christ and execute God’s purposes in the world.

Guardian Angels Jesus’ comment in Matthew 18:10 and some passages which assign protective roles to angels (for example, Michael, angelic prince over Israel, Daniel 12:1 ; angels of specific churches in Daniel 10:13 ; Acts 12:15 ; Revelation 1:20 ; Revelation 2-3 ) imply that a heavenly counterpart represents each person in heaven. This evidence is commonly used to assert that each individual has a “guardian” angel assigned to him or her by God. The term, “guardian angel,” however, is not biblical, and the idea is at best only implied in these passages.

The difficulty observable in answering these and many other common questions is obvious. The cause of the difficulty is the assumption that Scripture reveals a complete angelology and if all the passages concerning angels are pieced together the complete picture will be revealed. A careful survey of the biblical text, however, reveals that no such fully delineated angelology is present.

1 Like