Matthew 7:1-5

(Kenneth Jones ) #1

We all know this famous passage, as it is thrown in our faces every time we try to tell someone what is wrong with the world, or with something they are personally doing.
What are some approaches to use when someone misquotes this verse to excuse their sins, casting the burden on you.

(Andrew Bulin) #2

This is a great question that I’d like to get a little context on. When you say things are wrong with the world, it is clearly broken and struggling along. I do not feel that is a part of the context of this passage specifically. Can we find direction in the Bible where we should chide the world in the midst of it’s Godlessness?

As to personal commentary if someone is in the wrong, I guess it would help to know some example scenarios. Is this more about abuse, adultery, deceit, etc. or that you did not wash the proper and ritualistic way. That last one there was a concern in Jesus’ day. Perhaps one more akin to our modern times is how many hours should I watch television compared to how often I read the Bible? Should I even be watching this or that? Or maybe no one is really worried about that! :slight_smile:

The premise of the passage in Mat. 7:1-5 can be summarized in verse 12:

Matthew 7:12 NASB
[12] "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

The context of the discussion was how believers and followers of God (we can suppose ones that truly wanted to), should be united with one another. The Pharisees had added a tremendous amount of laws to daily Jewish life, so there were many ways someone could judge their neighbor while also elevating one’s self. But Jesus was here to give a better way, one built on love to God and neighbors. A love that was sacrificial.

As believers, we should be looking to restore, not condemn:

Galatians 6:1 NASB
[1] Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.

I would be curious is the judgement an effort to save your brethren, or to measure them against a standard? As I mentioned at the beginning, maybe you have more specific examples in mind to round out this discussion a bit further?