Meaning 'commending ourseleves' in 2 Corinthians

Hello,

In 2 Corinthians 4:2 it says, but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God (NASB).

Can someone please tell me what ‘commending ourselves’ means in this verse? I’ve looked in a dictionary and at the Greek and I still don’t understand.

Thank you

I think that you can make the meaning of the word “commend” much clearer if you’ll put the letters “re-” on the front of it.

I hope this will help you.

2 Corinthians 4:2 NIV
Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.

@LKHHKL I am not a KJV Onlyist follower nor against it. I study KJV alongwith other newer versions like NIV and NASB. Here is an outline of the verse. I do hope it helps.

1. We have disclaimed the hidden things of dishonesty; the hidden things of shame; those things which wicked men do in secret and which they are ashamed of.
    N.B. There were some people at Corinth who think fornication and incest are not sin.

2. We don’t walk in subtlety and cunningly like the false teachers. We do not distort the doctrines of the Gospel to serve carnal purpose nor do we use it as an excuse to justify sin.
    N.B. There were deceitful teachers in the garb of Christian ministers in Corinth.

3. We preach openly and explicitly what we know to be the truth, which is the Gospel of Jesus. We conceal nothing but teach spiritual things, not in the wisdom of man but in those taught by the Holy Spirit.

4. We are commending ourselves to every man’s conscience. In other words, we are speaking so that every man’s conscience shall bear its testimony that we proclaim nothing, only the truth of God. This is the Divine truth that every man’s conscience will acknowledge it as true, even though it speak decidedly against his own views and practices. The eye of God is ever on the heart and conscience of man and he always bears testimony to his own word.