Meek and mild

How much is enough? How meek and how mild do we/I need to be? Should I, for instance let someone kill me? Will you allow that to your own self? When can I defend myself?

1 Like

Hi @Hein thank you for your questions :grinning:. I will try and respond by addressing the two main things that I recognised in them.

Firstly, what does it mean to be meek and mild? Am I right in thinking you’re referring to the descriptions that Jesus gave in Matthew 5 on the sermon of the Mount? Here he said “blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.” There’s a good description of what it means to be meek here and I think it’s good to realise that being meek doesn’t mean being a doormat :blush:. Being meek is more about your heart attitude towards others. Jesus demonstrates this well in his servant heart, but we also see in him a fierce strength, demonstrated by his willingness to go the cross. He calls us to be meek too - to love and serve others with a Godly strength and empowerment.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevin-deyoung/blessed-are-the-meek/%3Famp

Secondly, how far do we serve others with meekness, even if it’s to our own detriment? Again, Jesus demonstrated the ultimate sacrifice on the cross. Deuteronomy 6:5-7 tells us to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and strength and to love our neighbour as ourself. Jesus repeats this in Luke. We must love others. Jesus tells us that we will need to bear our cross when following him, that we will suffer persecution for his sake. However I also believe there are times when God calls us to this, and other times when God calls us to discern with his wisdom whether we should place ourselves in a risky situation.

In asking how much God would ask of us, or if others, it can be challenging for us to accept what God might require. This article looks at this sort of issue, when God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/how-could-god-ask-that/%3Famp

The point of stories like this isn’t to make us worried about what God might ask us to do, but rather point to what He has already done for us:

When we read the story of Hosea, we need not fear that God might call us to marry an unfaithful spouse just to make a point through our misery. Instead, we’re meant to see that Jesus will join himself to an unfaithful wife—you and me—and make us his pure bride. He will go to the slave market of sin and buy us back at the cost of his own blood.

I know I haven’t answered all your questions and hopefully some others will be a help here but I hope this starts you off with some things to think about :blush:.

2 Likes