Mel Jacks-n

Hi from west Michigan. I am Mel Jackson and love the Lord with all my heart. I was raised in a Christian home and am one of 7 children of a Baptist minister. My dad had pretty strict rules but was always quite willing to talk about why he held to them. He was a godly man who loved all of us.

When I was 7 I made a commitment to the Lord. But as I grew up I was quite frustrated with my life. I remember thinking about the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.) and realizing I did NOT have peace.

Eventually I rebelled in college. It was not directed against my dad but directly against God. I did not want God in charge of my life. I was studying biology at a secular university and all my profs taught large scale evolution, which seemed to remove the need for a creator God. I decided to seriously consider their arguments. After all, if large scale evolution works, maybe there is no God and my problems would be over. Each day the profs would teach us greater and greater levels of the complexity of life, even within single cells. I remember the moment when I realized large scale evolution just could not explain life. Immediately I thought a number of things: I am stuck with God; I’d better not commit suicide - why throw myself in hell early; I’d better live a careful and healthy life; and, finally, I felt like I had fought God so much that there was no hope for me - so eventually I would die and go to hell. I lived like that for awhile. No hope but at least I stopped being suicidal.

One night I cried out to God and He heard me. I prayed a prayer I had already prayed many times before - God, have mercy on me and forgive my sins and save me. I will follow you. This time I knew He accepted me. I was filled with joy! But God also said to me, “This is it. If you follow through, great. If not, this is it.” I have never wanted to find out what “this is it” meant so I have followed the Lord with my whole heart ever since. That was 49 years ago.

After that, I finished getting a bachelor’s and a master’s in biology, spent a year teaching at a school in Venezuela, got married to my wonderful wife, Dee Dee, and we got further Bible training - an MDiv for me and an MA for her.

We then headed to Kenya for 27 years, where my wife was a nurse and I taught high school at Rift Valley Academy and worked with Kikuyu and then Maasai tribesmen on Sundays.

Now we are back in the States, living in west MI. I work with refugees in Grand Rapids, with over half my time spent with Somali Mu$.

I look forward to interacting on RZIM Connect with others who share my love of science, working with Mu$, apologetics in general, and just a deep love of God’s word.

Life is good! God bless you all.

1 Like

Mel, great to have you introduce yourself again! :slight_smile: I’m so glad you’re involved in Connect as your life story so demonstrates a commitment to serve others with compassion and respect.

Wonderful to meet you @kenyamel - but you’ve got me really curious - what is Mu$?

Hello Mel, thanks for the open and honest testimony about your life journey to truth, and freedom in Christ. I look forward to hearing your thoughts as you share all the questions we have as we reach the next level in our walk with Him.
Stay safe out there my friend.
Mike

A follower of Muhammad - written that way so internet searches will not easily find it.

1 Like