Mel Jackson

Hi from west Michigan. I am Mel Jackson and love the Lord with all my heart. I was raised in a Christian home and am one of 7 children of a Baptist minister. My dad had pretty strict rules but was always quite willing to talk about why he held to them. He was a godly man who loved all of us.

When I was 7 I made a commitment to the Lord. But as I grew up I was quite frustrated with my life. I remember thinking about the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, etc.) and realizing I did NOT have peace.

Eventually I rebelled in college. It was not directed against my dad but directly against God. I did not want God in charge of my life. I was studying biology at a secular university and all my profs taught large scale evolution, which seemed to remove the need for a creator God. I decided to seriously consider their arguments. After all, if large scale evolution works, maybe there is no God and my problems would be over. Each day the profs would teach us greater and greater levels of the complexity of life, even within single cells. I remember the moment when I realized large scale evolution just could not explain life. Immediately I thought a number of things: I am stuck with God; I’d better not commit suicide - why throw myself in hell early; I’d better live a careful and healthy life; and, finally, I felt like I had fought God so much that there was no hope for me - so eventually I would die and go to hell. I lived like that for awhile. No hope but at least I stopped being suicidal.

One night I cried out to God and He heard me. I prayed a prayer I had already prayed many times before - God, have mercy on me and forgive my sins and save me. I will follow you. This time I knew He accepted me. I was filled with joy! But God also said to me, “This is it. If you follow through, great. If not, this is it.” I have never wanted to find out what “this is it” meant so I have followed the Lord with my whole heart ever since. That was 48 years ago.

After that, I finished getting a bachelor’s and a master’s in biology, spent a year teaching at an MK (missionary kids) school in Venezuela, got married to my wonderful wife, Dee Dee, and we went to Denver Seminary for an MDiv for me and an MA for her.

We then headed to Kenya for 27 years with Africa Inland Mission, where my wife was a nurse and I taught high school at Rift Valley Academy and worked with Kikuyu and then Maasai tribesmen on Sundays.

Now we are back in the States, living in Zeeland, MI. I work with refugees in Grand Rapids, with over half my time spent with Somali Muslims.

I look forward to interacting on RZIM Connect with others who share my love of science, working with Muslims, apologetics in general, and just a deep love of God’s word.

Life is good! God bless you all.

10 Likes

Welcome @kenyamel! We are delighted to have you in our midst! What an incredible life of ministry you have led. I know I was inspired by reading your story, I am sure others will be as well. I look forward to reading your contributions on the Science Forum!

3 Likes

Welcome to Connect @kenyamel. Your contributions with such a vast experience of travel and scientific understanding will be very valuable to our community.

3 Likes

Wow! This is an incredible account of your journey with God!
Welcome to connect @kenyamel, you have already been a blessing :pray:
I believe you will have a vital role here if you stick around. We can certainly use someone with your experience and knowledge. I am truly inspired by your story :heart:
Thank you!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @kenyamel fellow Michigander. Good to have you us. I am in East Lansing. You? Great tetimony of the grand weaver and hound of heaven after you your entire life. Check out the member testimony category if you get a chance. Many would be blessed to read what the Lord has done in your life. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Mel
Thank you for sharing your story and walk with us. It is inspirational and moving. I also fought God when I was younger. Stories like yours keeps reminding me how big God’s love is and how abundant God’s grace is.

3 Likes

Welcome Mel and fellow West Michigander! (I’m from Spring Lake) I love your story and feel you’ll be a wonderful part of the group, understanding so much of the science vs. God issue. Your journey to accepting and knowing God as your personal Lord is inspiring and wow, you’ve done so much since you embraced it! God bless you and your wife and all you put your hands to!

2 Likes

Thanks, Brian. I hope I can learn and can, at times, provide some food for thought for others.
God bless!

1 Like

Hi Laurie. God has been very good to us. It is a joy following Him.
Thanks for your encouraging words.

1 Like

Welcome, thanks for for contributing and sharing God has been so good to me. Glad your here proud of you.

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. It is good to be here.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story brother, @kenyamel
Welcome and Amen

1 Like

I look forward to learning from others and interacting with them. It is good to be here.
God bless!

1 Like

Hi Kel,

I am in Zeeland (near Holland). God sure has been good to me. God called me to be a missionary when I was 12. But after fighting God so much, I remember my amazement when I arrived in Venezuela and realized it had happened. Then the many years in Kenya were a joy.

God loves us! It sure is great serving Him.

1 Like

God sure is amazing. He is “abundant in lovingkindness!”
God bless!

1 Like

Welcome to Connect Mel. I enjoyed reading about your life adventure! It was exciting to read about and I look forward to reading you input on various topics.

1 Like

We have really good friends in the Zealand area. Ron and Sue Elenbaas. He owned Pete’s auto parts.

Hi Kel,

Sorry for the looong delay. I have been quite busy with life and haven’t been on this site for a while. Anyway, I do not know your friends, nor the auto shop you mention. My family was in Africa until recently. Before Africa, my wife and I were from NJ and NY.

Anyway, have a good day!

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me. Participate as much as you are able. We all know that life and responsibilities sometimes get in the way. But I hope to read more of your posts and keep connecting.