Miracles in other religions

(ASH W) #1

Hi,

My question is how do we explain supernatural miracle claims from other religions? For example if a hindu says he was cured of cancer by praying to one of his god’s then how can this be explained without also discrediting our own claims of what God has done for us?

(Andrea L) #2

In Exodus chapter 7&8 the magicians are able to do many of the miracles Mozes does. Except the last one, which they cannot “And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast. Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh’s heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the Lord had said.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭8:18-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬ (emphasis added by me)
This is I believe an example that the evil also has supernatural power, although not as much as God.
I hope it helps.

(SeanO) #3

@ash Good question. I think there are a few things to keep in mind:

• miracles are not the main evidence of the Christian faith - the life, death and resurrection of Jesus is the main evidence
  • simply because one miracle claim is false does not mean they are all false - in fact, 99% could be false and yet 1% true - so each claim must be evaluated on its own merit. Some Christians who claim miracles are no doubt incorrect, but that does not mean all claims are false.
  • as @andrea.l mentioned, there are bad spiritual forces in the world - it is unclear to me whether or not they could heal, but perhaps it is possible
  • we must critically evaluate any claim of the miraculous - their claim may be false or lacking evidence

If I were engaging a Hindu and they raised miracles as support for their worldview, I would probably turn the conversation toward the resurrection rather than get into a discussion about the validity or lack thereof of miracles within their own faith. Perhaps others have some thoughts on how to best direct such a conversation???

A Connect thread on the evidence for miracles within the Christian worldview:

(ASH W) #4

Good points @andrea.l

Thank you :slight_smile:

(ASH W) #5

You hit the nail on the head here. I guess we are always chasing that “thing” that is current and personal which could sway anothers belief… but then I would be saying is that Jesus is not enough…

Thanks @SeanO

(SeanO) #6

@ash Sure thing! Yes, it is alluring to try to attempt to convince someone to believe, but the most we can do is lay out the evidence in each area of life - origin, meaning, morality and destiny - and the truth of Christ - and allow the Holy Spirit to do His good work in their heart.

In “Christianity for Modern Pagans” Peter Kreeft examines Pascal’s work. One argument Pascal makes is that God gives exactly enough light for the righteous to find Him and for the wicked to reject Him.

"He gives exactly the right amount of light. If He gave less, even the righteous would be unable to find Him, and their will would be thwarted. If He gave more, even the wicked would find Him, against their will. Thus He respects and fulfills the will of all.

If He gave more light, the righteous would not learn humility, for they would know too much. If He gave less light, the wicked would not be responsible for their wickedness, for they would know too little."

I like this argument and think there is a lot of truth in it. We should give a reason for the hope that is in us, but the rest is between the individual and God.