Missing verses

Hello :wave:. I’ve got another question for you. Why is it that different versions of the Bible are missing verses? For example in the KJV there is a 17:21, 18:11, 23:14 in Matthew. A 7:16, 9:44, 9:46 in Mark. A 17:36 and 23:17 in Luke. A 5:4 in John. A 8:37 in Acts. Then in the ESV there is none. Then also in the KJV Luke 9:56 reads “ it says for the Son of man is not come to destroy mens lives but to save them. And they went to another village.” and in the ESV it is altered to just “ and they went to another village”. Is this something that I should be worried about reading my ESV Bible?

4 Likes

Hello @BJ_Hernandez, great question. There is nothing you should be worried about. When it comes to the King James Version of the Bible compared to the new translations the biblical scholars are attempting to get as close to what the original authors were meaning and writing as possible. When they do this they use the manuscripts we have found over time. The KJV uses the manuscript Texus Receptus. Since then other manuscripts have been found that predate that and the older they are the more accurate they are presumed to be but that is not the only reasoning for accuracy. There are lots of other ways used to determine what was originally written. This is called textual criticism. Textual criticism is a method used to determine what the original manuscripts of the Bible said. Scholars use this technique so they can be as accurate as possible.

The verses in KJV simply were added in intentionally or by accident. Because of this newer translations will remove them and put them down as notes in a study bible most times. Nothing about this is hidden and Christians are very open about these things. If you want to read more about this and the manuscripts here are a few links to check out.

One thing to understand is that not all translations are trying to achieve the same thing. Here is a chart to help you.

This chart can help you understand what the goal is of some of the newer translations. So they may read a bit differently than others. As you can see NIV is “Thought for Thought” meaning certain slang/phrases get translated better for our culture to understand whereas NASB is a word for word meaning everything is translated as is.

Another thing to watch out for is people who think KJV is the word of God and the only translation that is correct. While I don’t have much of an issue with these people they don’t really seem to grasp the reasoning or methods behind what Biblical scholars are doing. I say all this to tell you to be careful of anyone who tries to convince you of just one translation to use at all times. Some are really good and some are really bad. But don’t worry cause we are blessed. We can look at what the manuscripts say and judge for ourselves. Some people choose to go as far as learning Greek and Hebrew so they can read it on their own without needing a website or book to translate.

Even if you can’t take the time to learn Greek or Hebrew there are enough free resources for you to do the research and find out for yourself what the Bible says. That is the amazing thing about Christianity nothing is hidden from the believers when it comes to the Bible.

I hoped this helped some, God Bless :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s good to know​:+1:t3: thank you Luna for all your help, God bless :slight_smile:

1 Like