Modesty in the Bible

What does the Bible actually say about modesty in the way we dress (in particular, how women dress)?
This is a topic that many Christians have opinions about but I am not aware of any particular scripture passages that discuss modesty. Any help here?
It seems as if this idea of modesty can change drastically as culture changes.

1 Like

Hi @Sgpage,

I think the verse you mentioned is found in 1 Tim 2:9-10 "And I want women to be modest in their appearance (or to pray in modest apparel). They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes. 10 For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do.

There’s actually a good article on this from Got Questions:

Personally, I would just like add to the above article by drawing your attention to the way they draw attention through their looks and apparels:

• “Fixing the hair” means it’s time-consuming, because it could be so over-elaborate.
  • “Wearing expensive jewelries or clothing” means its wealth-consuming.

Now the sin is not in the time you spend to groom yourself, or the wealth you spend on those trinkets, but in exerting all their resources (time and money) to draw attention to themselves instead of focusing on good works to glorify our Father in heaven.

I know some girls even take all their sweet time to doll up only to be super-late for church, or because their newly bought fancy dress or pair of shoes is ruined they refused to go to church or goes to church grumpy, it only goes to show what they prioritize in life. Or when they are at church, instead of seeing to each others’ needs, they are busy comparing the latest fashion trend, and whose looks is better. You know what’s amazing, I know narcissistic guys these days who are equally guilty of all the above too. Sometimes, a pastor or his wife could be prone to these same issues too, especially when they are at the center of attention.

The apostle Paul was exhorting everyone to refocus on what truly makes a Christian attractive, not their looks and apparels, but their good God-glorifying deeds. And that’s where we should divert all our time, money and resources to.

Hope that helps. Blessings in Christ,
Roy

1 Like