Moving into the new?

Hello Everyone!

I found faith earlier this year and it’s been an amazing journey of discovery and growth for me. However, I have found myself failing to hear the Word of God for my life clearly, I have been tripping up and stumbling over old bad habits and want to grow beyond this.

One thing that has been a particular struggle for me is trying to understand my past life in the context of my new life with Jesus. In the same way I do not wish to judge others for their choices, it pains me to judge myself so harshly for the mistakes and regretable actions of my past. At the same time, I fear that without wholeheartedly rejecting my life before Christ, I will not be able to move forward in a meaningful way.

So as we move towards Christ and away from worldly obsessions, how should I look upon my past life? I would actually really appreciate practical suggestions also; would throwing away old objects (like after a bad break up) make sense or is that being ridiculous?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Blessings, Stuart

1 Like

@sritson. Hi Stuart! It helps me to remember how undefinable it is that GOD loves me so. Perhaps in my own heart, I resent the paths that have brought me to this day, however, the Word of GOD is true. He is greater than the condemnation from my heart.

When I am willing to forgive and embrace others He reminds me, often, that whatever I may feel about myself, I need to understand that He loves me? That it can be an affront to His love for me that I am unwilling to extend that same love to myself.

My past is a part of the witness and testimony of how GOD has rescued me. Those ways and that living has been transformed into badges of honor. My human errors today serve as cautionary hints that help me realign my walk before GOD.

I think we will never be a finished product so long as we live in these bodies on this Earth. But that is the point of redemption it is an on-going process. I must be patient with myself at least somewhat as GOD continues to be.

Sometimes there are triggers from my past that I have learned to remove from my circle of influence. I have had to learn this practice. Ultimately learning most succinctly after suffering the sense of separation such behavior and triggers bring to my soul. I have learned some things are not worth it. Not because the people or circumstances come with their own curse, but rather I am learning what it means to protect my valuables. So, my caution is not about my past but about my hope for the future.

You are already saying the magic words. “I want to grow beyond this!” Time will not allow me to tell you of all the ways and things the Lord has matured me away from. I continue to learn how to let His mind be in me. The learning has been difficult sometimes because of the need to be renewed in my own mind. But the journey is so worth the discomfort and the joys are so complete with each lesson, and the growth so amazing.

Remember never let anything separate you from the Love of GOD. Ask Him daily what that looks like and how to live that commission. I don’t have a formula for you because you are not formalized into salvation. You are GOD’s and you can trust Him to do good work in you.

2 Likes

Hi Stuart @sritson, I want to join @cer7 in affirming your new life in Christ! As I was reading your question, 1 Corinthians 6:11 came to mind. After listing all kinds of broken sin-identities, Paul declares over the (still very imperfect) believers:

And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

In Romans 6:11 he exhorts believers to stand in a new orientation to their old self:

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

I certainly recommend all of Romans 6 as a meditation on the way in which Christ has given us new life in relation to God! But this verse underlines the radical nature of the break with our old way of life. Not that we deny it—no, our broken chains witness to the power of Christ to save and redeem—but we completely revoke our allegiance, investment, and complicity with that life.

Each of our situations are different, and the steps we need to take to break with our old life vary. This is a matter for prayer and discernment. But it is really difficult to pray and discern these things alone, and it makes us very vulnerable to the enemy’s lies. Have you found a community for your Christian journey, Stuart? A mentor, prayer partner, or mature Christian friend(s) can help you judge rightly and know how to respond to God’s Word in your life situation as you grow and move forward.

Have you invited others around you into this process? Do you have believers around you who can speak the truth of God’s grace over you?

3 Likes