Music

(Cameron Kufner) #1

Hello All

I’ve been pondering on the notion that is often promoted about certain types of music and whether it is demonic (Mainly Rock/Metal) or not. Now, do I believe Satan can influence music? Absolutely. No question about it. I believe the Bible (I believe in Ezekiel?) mentions that Satan was a minister of music when he was in Heaven as well. I just don’t buy into the notion that Christian’s should only listen to Christian music. To me, that is way to legalistic. Just like the topic of tattoos, piercings, etc. I don’t believe Christian’s should purposefully listen to openly satanic bands or musicians, I believe we should be careful, but this notion that Christian’s cant listen to other music is just something I don’t buy. Mainly because I have never come across a scripture that says anything about the music we should listen to. I believe Christian’s can glorify God through all types of genres of music. I could be completely wrong, though. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts/get the dialogue started. God bless!

(SeanO) #2

@CamKufner I think the main principle I apply to music is not about the style, but rather about thoughts that it invokes. Is it in keeping with Paul’s advice in Philippians?

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

You may find this thread helpful along these lines as well:

(Timothy Loraditch) #3

@CamKufner This is a common issue in the church but I would look at Romans the 14th chapter. In there the writer encourages us not to judge others. It mentions that some tread some days special while another treat all days alike. Some eat meat and some do not. Verse 12 says “So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.”

You need to pray and ask God what you should and should not listen too, but if others feel differently that is between them and God. Whatever you decide to do, do it in faith not doubting that God is leading you.

(Jack Johnson) #4

I believe it’s not bad to listen to worldly music, it depends on what type of music we hear,
Many times music tells us the mood of our generation with so many questions in the lyrics, which we as Christian’s can use to reach our youth,

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #5

I’d agree with @SeanO and Paul, but i’d also like to add that make sure what you listen to won’t be a stumbling block to “younger” Christians. An example would be if a person came to christ used to listen to heavy metal a lot but since becoming a Christian turned to worship music, but soon hears some christians who listen to similar music that he used to when a non christian. This music then reminds him of his “previous self” and brings back bad memories and bad thoughts, etc. You know what I mean?
Also, if so-called secular music was all you listened to, you wouldn’t be all that different than a nonbeliever who knows you are christian, but doesn’t really see any difference between you and themselves, right?

(SeanO) #6

@O_wretched_man I agree we should always seek to honor the conscience of our brothers and sisters if we are able (Romans 14).

Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall.

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.

Do you think that Christian music is one of the main things that sets us apart as believers? I could imagine a person who does not enjoy Christian music and yet serves those around them with self-sacrificial love and praises the Lord in their own way. Perhaps there is a distinction between having a heart filled with worship and listening to Christian music? One could worship while listening to Bach.

Should a christian listen to songs that are not christian in nature ? Or more importantly go sing on pubs to win others ? This has been bothering me!
(Cameron Kufner) #7

Everyone, thank you for your replies. I have gained proper perspectives. For me personally, I’m in a weird stage. Please do pray for me (Lord knows I need them). I just struggle with the same old sin and feel distanced from the Lord, but the other reason I asked this question was to hear other perspectives. I can admit that I have been stubborn and have had the attitude of “Music does not matter, God does not care what I listen to.” I know that’s not the case. I have been really wanting the benefits of Christianity, but haven’t been wanting to sacrifice everything. I have sacrificed some things, but I have not sacrificed enough. I still listen to the same music I’d listen to before I was saved (Rock/Metal) and I know what @O_wretched_man said really spoke to my spirit. You made an excellent point. Lord knows I’m trying, but I’m still stuck in stubbornness and wish for my heart to be made new and stubborn free. I need prayers. Again, thank you all for your replies.

(LaTricia J.) #8

I am a music lover. I enjoy a variety of types of music from different genres. However, there’s some music that I won’t listen to because maybe it depresses me or reminds me of unsavory times in my life. I listen mostly to Christian music when I’m driving but my workout playlist is … not that lol. I don’t feel bad for not always listening to Christian music, or I should say music that is directly tied to Christianity. All of the music I enjoy somehow leads me back to my spiritual foundation in one way or another. Maybe I end up contemplating the lyrics and the situations that the songs are talking about; or maybe the music just has me feeling so good and excited, and for me all of that feel good goes right back to Christ. Music is such a creative expression and there are so many talented musicians doing wonderful things like mixing classical music or traditional instruments with Hip Hop or Metal - and the music that is made is mind blowing and outstanding! These folks have been blessed and who am I not to enjoy that?

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #9

@SeanO
I know what you mean and I was thinking about that when I said what I did before. I do not think that Christian music is the main thing that sets us apart. It is more of what is in our hearts and how that shows in our everyday lives. People are watching us Christians and what we do— how we handle things—whether we know it or not.

On an aside note: I think we can all agree that Bach and heavy metal music do not come with the same baggage as each other, though.

(SeanO) #10

@O_wretched_man Valid point. They are very different genres, each with their own temptations. I imagine classical music offers itself as an idol - to worship the creation rather than the Creator - the genius of man in crafting music. While heavy metal tends towards anger and rebellion. I’m sure that is a separate discussion in and of itself.

(Clarice Fong) #11

Hi @CamKufner! There are Christian artists in the rock scene :slight_smile: Look up Skillet on Spotify. Have a listen, and see who else Spotify suggests :slight_smile: I only know this because I work in Christian radio and have somewhat broader exposure to Christian music. You would be surprised by the spread of styles you will encounter, if you look hard enough. Admittedly, hard rock isn’t popular in Christian circles, but I do believe God can sanctify anything man creates and turn it for His glory :slight_smile: I also agree with all the points above - I think you’ve gotten enough affirmation in that area :slight_smile:

I hope this helps you on your journey!

For those curious -
Skillet on Apple Music

(Cameron Kufner) #12

Clarice, thank you for that suggestion. I believe I’ve heard a few of their songs. I listen to bands such as POD, Demon Hunter, Project 86, etc. I will check out Skillet again, though. Thank you again. God bless!

(Emily McIntosh) #13

I’d be curious to learn if the Bible indeed mentions Satan as a “minister of music”…I don’t recall that it does anywhere.

I’m a classically trained musician, and I’m afraid I’m quite cynical about Christian music and dislike listening to most of it. It’s way too simplistic in structure, and not very “original” in content. It seems to reflect the (lack of) depth of thinking of this generation. If I’m going to listen to something that makes me worship, it’s more the old, sacred choral music written for churches throughout the centuries. I love singing hymns, but don’t like listening to them, oddly.

Music is the language of the soul. It’s a language, truly. It’s meant to touch something deep inside. So each person will respond to some different style or flavor at different seasons of life. As a language, the words you fill your mind with are the words that shape your reality and perspective on the world–and probably the emotional world. So the music we choose to listen to shapes our thoughts and emotions, our soul, somehow. It’s background music to our story.
Conversely, as creators, we can also shape the atmosphere around us by choosing to play music that fits what our soul feels at the moment, or to help shape what we need to feel at the moment. And it’s completely right and fitting to enjoy something just because.
I guess the concern would lie in how the music is influencing our lives. Does it nudge our thoughts toward God, or to not so good places? (“Worship” music usually upsets me, because I start analyzing the structure and words, so I just try and leave it alone.) Just as the Psalmists weren’t afraid to question God, but wrestled through their problems honestly with the understanding that God is indeed God, so turbulent music can have it’s place. I guess music should be an honest reflection of what we’re feeling inside. And if we direct that honesty toward God instead of distracting ourselves away from him, isn’t that what matters?