My Dad is dying, what is some good scripture to read to him?

My Dad is dying, I want to read scripture to him. He is a Christian. I am specifically looking for scripture for his dying process not for those grieving.

5 Likes

@Richi, I am so sorry for your pain. I’m touched by your question. The first passages that come to my mind are 2 Timothy 4:7-8, 2 Corinthians 5:6-9, and Psalm 23. Do you know if he has any favorite Bible passages? Sometimes hearing our favorite passages can be comforting even if they aren’t specifically about going to heaven.

I’m writing my answer to you somewhat quickly in case you are with your father right now and need immediate suggestions. I can offer other ideas if you want them.

5 Likes

John 14:1-3 and Revelation 22:1-5 might also be good. I’m praying for you, @Richi.

3 Likes

@Richi What are some of his favorite passages?

2 Likes

You know - there is a passage that was specifically written for situations like this. It begins by saying that we sorrow not as others who have no hope, and ends saying wherefore comfort one another with these words.

It’s I Thessalonians 4:13-18.

May God give you, your father and your family grace and a great sense of the Lord’s nearness as you pass through the valley of the shadow!

4 Likes

Great-thank you

Rich Iverson

2 Likes

I hope these songs will give you and your father comfort.

God Bless You :hugs:.

3 Likes

Hi Richi – Ps 116, esp. v.15
“Precious in the sight of the Lord; is the death of his faithful servants.”

We want our loved ones to be with us, but God waits for His faithful ones to beside Him as well. And the irony is that I take great comfort in the thought that while we prepare to grieve the departing of a loved one, heaven prepares to celebrate the arrival of a faithful one.

2 Likes

John 6:63
“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

Romans 8:11
“But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.”

Psalms 118:17
“I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.”

Declare these words to Him. Speak life to him.

2 Likes

Hi Rich,

I hope you are still able to pray and comfort your father, Isaiah 26:3

“You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.”

and

“and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Many blessings and prayers to your dad and family!

2 Likes