My "god" can do miracles too

I’ve met a stonge Hindu. When I tried to communicate the Gospel of Christ to her, she always claimed that her “gods” are faithful to her and that her “gods” perform miracles too. For example, she said to me, that her “gods” healed her newborn baby that had a hole in her heart. How can I preach the gospel to her?

5 Likes

There would seem to be many barriers she is putting up against the witness of the Gospel. Indeed, Paul writes that the god of this world has blinded her eyes so that she cannot see. Unless those barriers come down, she will never see. But how will this happen? I think we need to show respect to those to whom we are trying to reach. Sure, she is Hindu, and we know that she does not know God. But we don’t need to point that out to her. Rather, just listen to her, honor her, love her. Let the Holy Spirit do the work.

6 Likes

I may have to circle back to this, because I do not have much time to write out a full response. I will leave you with these Scriptures to ruminate on for now. God can and will show goodness even to unbelievers to let them know he is there. It might seem a little tough to say, “Hey, that miracle you think your God did, actually my God did it.” This would have to be a very delicate conversation. Have they had any other experiences with God? Change of heart, peace, relationship, etc. Life with God is more than just miracles.

I hope this helps! Please respond to tis comment with more questions and I will respond more when I have more time!

Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Matthew 5:45 that ye may be the children of your Father who is in Heaven. For He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Acts 14:15-17 And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein: Who in times past suffered all nations to walk in their own ways. Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.

5 Likes

@Matthew Good question :slight_smile: I think the Engel scale could be helpful in terms of actually evangelizing this individual. It sounds to me like they are at -10 - they know about Jesus, but they do not recognize that Jesus is different or better than their own religious teachers. As such, you could expect her to be defensive of her own views. It would be great if you could invite her to just be around Christians who love Jesus and would love her.

You might share your testimony and say that Jesus does more than heal our physical hearts. He provides healing to our heart of hearts. And then share some about how Christ transformed your life if you think she could relate to your story. Or maybe there is someone else whose story would resonate with her more that you know.

Christ be with you as you share His love and truth!

I think there are a few things to keep in mind regarding miracles as well:

• miracles are not the main evidence of the Christian faith - the life, death and resurrection of Jesus is the main evidence
  • there are evil spiritual forces in the world
  • each claim to the miraculous must be evaluated on its own merit
5 Likes

@Matthew, first of all I just praise God for stepping out in faith to share Christ to your Hindu friend. Both the approach and reason are important to convey and may the Lord lead you. The question you ask is a tough one to answer and I hope I can help from what I have experienced in my own life as my family is still Hindu. It is really critical that we don’t start comparing gods as that will only cause more resistance. Obviously, it must have been a really trying time for your friend as new parents. So, I would start with empathizing with her and open up the conversation to hear more about it. This would be for your information as every miracle needs to be assessed carefully for its validity. I would probably also join her in thanking God for allowing that grace in her child’s life.

It is true that people of all faiths have experienced miracles in various forms (as is also attested by the Bible) yet the teachings differ much in their doctrines. How then must we assess miracles in different religions? Logically speaking, it is possible to perform miracles and not have a message behind the miracle. Likewise, its possible to philosophize and arrive at a wonderful message but have no power beyond ourselves. So, both the message and demonstration of the message which sometimes is in the form of miracles are important. The message must have a cohesive story from the origin of man, the meaning of life and man’s destiny. Here are some reasons from scripture to believe in miracles:

Miracles are to confirm the message

John 10: 37 If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38 but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father is in Me, and I in Him.”

Luke 7: 22 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things you have seen and heard: that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the gospel preached to them. 23 And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me.”

Miracles are a sign of God’s kingdom on earth.

Matt 10: 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons.

Mark 16: 14 Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. 15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who [d]believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Miracles are a foreshadow of God’s future kingdom and give us hope.

Daniel 7:13-14 “I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him. 14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed

Miracles of Christ were a fulfillment of prophecy several hundreds of years before Christ.

Isaiah lived about 700 years before Christ and it is this prophecy Jesus confirms by reading it in the temple in Luke 4:17.

Is 61:1 “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

Purpose of prophecy is to give worth to whom its due

God in the Bible sends prophecy in advance so that we don’t give credit to someone other than Him. Here’s a verse that God speaks through Isaiah to the Israelites when they turn to foreign gods in the name of Yahweh.

Is 48 : “I have declared the former things from the beginning; They went forth from My mouth, and I caused them to hear it. Suddenly I did them, and they came to pass. 4 Because I knew that you were obstinate, And your neck was an iron sinew, And your brow bronze, 5 Even from the beginning I have declared it to you; Before it came to pass I proclaimed it to you, Lest you should say, ‘My idol has done them, And my carved image and my molded image, Have commanded them.’

The Greatest Miracle is of Resurrection

Jesus say his resurrection is proof of his divinity when the Pharisees ask for a sign from heaven. (Matthew 16:4, Matthew 20:17-19).

1 Cor 15: 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins ! 18 Then also those who have [c]fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.

Here’s a short clip on the significance of miracles from Dr. Craig Keener, a New testament Scholar who has done extensive work on miracles.

Another great article by Josh McDowell on this: https://www.josh.org/christ-miracle-matters/

I hope the Lord opens up more conversations with your friend. May the love of Christ and the power of His Spirit be with you. God bless.

6 Likes

All the answers in this thread, have answered all the doubts and questions in my mind for this situation.

3 Likes

Thank you to everyone that have taken the time to answer my question. May God bless you all. :pray:

3 Likes

Dear Br Mathew, Yes their Gods too can perhaps do some wonders like the first two plagues done by magicians before Pharaoh but very limited. Later those Magicians too had to accept at Exodus 8:19 “This is the finger of God”… and later we donot find these magicians there. Finally we know what happened there.

Secondly it’s not the count of these miracles alone we talk about Christ but forgiveness of Sin by Grace and thereby Salvation of our Soul. None of their holy books says about any of their Gods virgin born, or resurrected from the dead, nor any promise of coming again. Christ stand alone for these and many other super natural evidence and He can not be compared with any other Gods. Remission of Sin only in Christ without any sacrifice from human hands but by His Own sacrifice and that Great Sacrifice will redeem if a Hindu genuinely believe in Him. Do not follow Christ for Miracles but for Salvation and Eternal Life. All other so called Gods died but not resurrected… but they all have to wakeup upon the Second Coming of Christ The Redeemer and King.

1 Like

It is a blessing to help anyone who is engaged in evangelism to win souls! May God grant you grace as you minister to others!