My Grace is sufficient for you

(Samuel Khaw) #1

In the bible, there is the mention that God’s Grace is sufficient for you.

Im just curious, this ‘grace’ is it just referring to in terms of allowing me to go to heaven and be saved ?

Or is there more towards this “grace” that God has given to us ? Is it this “grace” that will allows us to go on through life ups and downs ? Is it that this “grace” will be always sufficient not just in terms of a spiritual way but also in our lives ?

How does this Grace that is sufficient for you translates to the my life as a whole as an individual who believes in God.

I heard my pastor while preaching a verse was saying that God’s Grace is sufficient for you, and that whether it’s in what area of ministry or even your life, and that’s where i sort of thought about my question.

(SeanO) #2

@Samuel_95 Good question. The short answer is that ‘God’s grace is sufficient for you’ means that God gives us strength to endure hardship when that is what He calls us to do. God is our strength and our strong tower even when we are going through hard times - even and especially in our weakness.

It helps a lot in understanding this verse and what I believe is a similar passage in Philippians 4:13 to consider the context of the passage. If we look at the context we see:

1. Paul was suffering from some form of weakness
  2. Paul pleaded with God to take it away
  3. God replied by saying that His grace was sufficient
  4. God’s power is displayed in our weakness

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 - Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

But what does this mean. Let’s look at Philippians 4:13 for a close parallel of the same idea:

1. Paul has been both hungry and well fed - both poor and rich
  2. Even when he is poor or in want, God gives him strength

Philippians 4:12-13 - I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

So, in the simplest terms, God’s grace is sufficient for you means that God will give you strength in your weakness. In fact, God is even saying that when He strengthens us in our weakness His power and glory shine in a unique way.

Does that make sense? Christ grant you wisdom.

(Samuel Khaw) #3

Thank you for your explanation Sean and the giving me the verses as the reference. I’m planning to ponder on the verses before i go to bed.

(SeanO) #4

@Samuel_95 Meditating on God’s Word is definitely a good plan :slight_smile:

(Kathleen) #5

Thanks, @SeanO and thank you @Samuel_95 for the question for meditation. :blush: I also wonder if there’s an aspect of relationality that His grace brings? That is, His grace restores us to Him…allows us to approach/return to Him. So in moments of weakness (which, really, is any moment we’re trying to do something in our own strength), He promises Paul (and us) that He is all we need…indeed, what we fundamentally need. And if we seek Him, we get Him. It’s that relationship where our strength lies. Just processing “out loud”… :grin:

(Sandy) #6

Thanks @SeanO for the comparison in Philippians, it is a helpful parallel!
Love your take on it, @KMac and this point!

Paul teaches that whether in the ups or downs, good times and bad, as we recognize our need for Jesus in our lives, that’s how we receive Grace. This free-flowing, undeserved favor of God finds us in our lowly places of humility. So in whatever area I may think I’m strong, I must be especially wary to surrender to God, or risk getting into trouble when I attempt anything in my own strength. As God’s children, it’s a journey of walking in the Spirit, trusting and completely dependent upon Christ living out in us the new life He’s given us. Hope this late response, @Samuel_95, adds some value as well.
I pray for you, Samuel, as for myself, to grow in Grace as we seek to know Jesus more!