My Question:Anyone done the " Everyday Questions" study?

everydayquestions

(Tehetena Zarou) #1

Hi everyone,
I’m in the process of beginning to lead a study on the “Everyday Questions” Study.

Although I am excited to be doing so ,I am also somewhat overwhelmed and would like to learn from others who have already lead or done the study.

It would be great to her from you …

Keep well

(Carson Weitnauer) #2

Hi @Tehetena_Zarou,

Congratulations on deciding to lead a study with Everyday Questions! This is going to grow your faith and encourage the members of your small group. We’ve seen over 5,000 people take the study in the past year and have heard very good feedback so far. I think you’re going to love it!

I co-wrote the study and would love to hear from you how I can be helpful. The main thing I would recommend is to read through the leaders’ guide very carefully. It should give you a very good baseline for what to do and how to do it. Also, you don’t have to have all the answers to the questions your group raises. The main thing you want to do is facilitate a good discussion. If questions come up that you can’t answer, just write them down, ask them here in RZIM Connect, and we will help you out!

@Kevin_Abshire and @Ivy_Tyson have both led Everyday Questions groups at their church and might have some good insights.

Please let me know of any specific questions you have so that we can be helpful to you.

(Ivy Tyson) #3

Hi @Tehetena_Zarou! It’s exciting to hear that you’re embarking on the Everyday Questions journey. As @CarsonWeitnauer mentioned, I led an EDQ group at my church at the beginning of this year. God really used that experience in our lives, both as individuals and as a church. We ended up with anywhere from 25-50 people each week, so we broke up into tables of 8-10 to answer the discussion questions after going through the videos and narratives together.

For what it’s worth, here’s a few things I learned from my experience. Maybe some of them might prove helpful to you as you’re starting off:

1. If you’re doing the same kind of 1.5-2 hour meeting we did, odds are really good that you just won’t have time to cover every discussion question in the time you have. There’s a lot packed into each of these weeks. You could potentially decide to split some weeks up (@Kevin_Abshire did this with his, I believe); I didn’t have that option, so I read through the lesson each week and prayerfully selected a few questions to not include in our group discussions. By whittling down the amount of questions, we could spend more time on the topics we did cover.

When you’re factoring in the time requirements, remember that reading the narrative itself is going to take up about 5-7 minutes of your time each week! And if you’re going to leave space for people to share their results from last week or to share prayer requests for the upcoming week (both great and important things to do), that leaves less time for the study too. If you really do have to get through a lesson in one meeting, be ruthless with your timekeeping. Get used to interrupting people (nicely, of course) when the five minutes for that question are up, or you’ll never make it through in the time you have.

1. There is a lot of information packed into each of these weeks! It can be easy for people to move from one week to another just trying to absorb the information; my biggest challenge as a facilitator was finding space to slow everyone down, and to create times for reflection so that people really had the chance to ponder what they were learning from the videos and especially from the other people at their table. Personally, I had to fight against that sense of missing out: the reality that by not going through every question, there were things we weren’t going to learn as well – and that had to be okay, because the point is to love Jesus more, not to become a human textbook! With that in mind, at the end of the course, I challenged everyone to find one practical takeaway: one thing they could change in their approach or their conversations in the next week.

2. At the end of the day, God is the one who does the work; only he can change someone’s mind or heart. There’s a freedom to just participate and wait expectantly for Him to lead. I’ll be praying that God shows up powerfully during your time together!

(Tehetena Zarou) #4

Thanks very much Carson!

Im looking forward to learning and hope that we will be able to introduce the study in the high schools here By Gods grace.

(Tehetena Zarou) #5

Hi @Ivy_Tyson,

Thanks for all the helpful information .

I will definitely keep it in mind and reach out with any challenges or questions.

(Tehetena Zarou) #6

Hello :smile:

A question came up from session 2 of origins …

the question raised the issue of why only atheism was compared to Christianity and other religions were excluded?

I suppose with the theistic worldviews the question of origin is the same as Christianity , Atheism has been addressed in the video , so only the pantheistic religions are left?

(Carson Weitnauer) #7

Hi @Tehetena_Zarou,

That’s a great question! There are a few reasons for this, but the main one is that we can only cover so much in any one lecture. At the same time, the study is nine weeks long. So, for instance, in Session 5, there is a conversation with someone who is from more of a new age perspective. And John Njoroge discusses contrasts with many other worldviews in Session 8: Destiny.

Finally, if your group has particular interest in contrasting Christianity with another worldview, that is a great discussion. Our hope would be that you have a greater understanding of the uniqueness of how Christianity explains our origin, meaning, morality, and destiny - and this provides a foundation for comparing the Christian approach to any other worldview.