My Question: Can God sin?

Hi everyone,
My child asked me this: Is murder a sin? Then did God commit a sin when He flooded the earth?

3 Likes

Hello Scott :slightly_smiling_face:

Great questions! I will have an attempt at answering but hopefully others will be able to add some thoughts through the discussion. Murder is a sin but is not a sin if it is a commandment of the judgement from God. I will try to elaborate why I think this.

An example that comes to mind is in 1 Samuel 15. For context it will be best to read the whole passage of Scripture. So, king Saul is commanded by God, through Samuel the prophet, to go and kill and destroy all the Amalekites, who were a people who opposed Israel when they had fled out of Egypt. God was using Saul and the army of Israel to pass judgement on the city of Amalek. The thing was, one of the many things Saul did wrong was not to kill Agag, the king of the Amalekites. At the end of the chapter, after Samuel has told off Saul and told him the kingdom would be taken from him because of his disobedience, Samuel asks to meet king Agag. The passage reads:

1 Samuel 15: 32-33: Then Samuel said, “Bring here to me Agag the king of the Amalekites.” And Agag came to him cheerfully. Agag said, “Surely the bitterness of death is past.” And Samuel said, “As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women.” And Samuel hacked Agag to pieces before the Lord in Gilgal.

Agag was a prisoner of war, possibly unarmed, and by the sounds of things feeling pretty good that he was still alive. But Samuel’s killing of Agag would not be considered murder but as a completion of the commandment of judgement from the Lord on the Amalekites.

So like with God causing to flood the earth in Noah’s time, or commanding His people to pass His judgement on others, it comes from the fact that God is just and will judge with righteousness. God does not pass judgement contrary to His nature. A further difference is that God has power over life and death whereas we don’t. Humans are accountable to God, not God to humans. But because God is good we can have faith that when He passes judgement, it is always in line with His nature. When God judges, He doesn’t cease to be merciful, kind and loving, which means we can rest in the fact that God’s judgement is always right.

I hope that is of some help and I apologize for the long answer. Hopefully others will be able to give some further clarity to your questions.

3 Likes

Hey Scott @smharris80, great question. So taking a life to God is not murder because to God, he is only taking us from this earth to the next life, wherever we end up. He is not killing us. As humans, #1 that life we take does not belong to us. It belongs to God; he created us and we are killing it without having any authority and permission. Plus, he told us not to do it too aka sin.

Like Brian said too, God is delivering justice. The people in Noah’s time, they were so wicked they were causing soooo muchhhh suffering that it is a break for the ones suffering when he transitions them to the next life. Those that suffered will rest, while the ones that were committing the sin get what the verdict is.

I hope that helps.
God Bless.

2 Likes

Hi Scott, I am just a Father who had a few very inquisitive children, :kissing: and young people in his life.
The most profound things come from the mouths of babes?

Biblically speaking truly having an understanding that Gods judgement is perfect and just and He truly is omniscient, omnipotent, will have us ask is it mercy or murder.

This is much for many adults to lay hold of and stand assured in faith it is the truth.

As a child I did not grasp in the least Mom, and Dads, NO son you shouldn’t do that until after I suffered the consequences of my stupidity.

On a lighter note, that is why we have stories of Storks, and the cabbage patch, and the many other things, like the dust bunny Mom left hanging in the corner and told us it was Santa watching. Lol🤣
Hope you see my point.
Mike

1 Like

Hey

Just wanted to share a thought related to that.
I think responding to that kind of question might be a good opportunity to enlarge our understanding about God and what difference it should about how we relate to Him. Like the fact that He is the Creator, we are his creatures; He is Lord, we are under his lordship and so on; He rules and will judges, we are accountable to Him, and so on.
This means that there are things He can do, but we can’t (or at least shouldn’t). He can literally do whatever He wants, and nobody can hinder Him. This is sometimes difficult to accept, or somehow disturbing, but that’s what the Bible tells us.

But the comforting thing, as mentioned above, is that even if He could easily misuse His authority, He remains faithful, and is always good, just and compassionate.

This is such a challenging question, I personally don’t know how to respond well to that, so I’ll follow the activity on this thread.

1 Like