My Question:Does anyone have any knowledge on the Doctrine of 5 Mountains?

(CarolAndrews) #1

Hi everyone, recently this has been coming up a lot in conversations of some people around me. They reference “going into and seizing/capturing the marketplace, education, arts, finance and politics”. They call these places mountains or pillars. I am told Jesus cannot return until these areas are controlled by Christians. This cannot be right surely?
If there is any truth in this,
a) where would this doctrine come from and
b) where in scripture will I find it?
If there is no truth in this doctrine, how can I best put forward an answer to my friends?

(SeanO) #2

@Carol I had never heard of this view before, but apparently it is called the 7-M or 7 mountain mandate. It is based on the ideas of dominion theology, which suggests that Christians are to take dominion over the world by ruling over it. However, I think the simplest answer as to why this theology is not Biblical is that Jesus’ Kingdom is not of this world.

John 18:36 - Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

Here is a fuller description of this belief system:

The seven mountain mandate says that it is the duty of all Christians to create a worldwide kingdom for the glory of Christ. Teachers in the movement use Isaiah 2:2, which mentions mountains, in an attempt to support their view: “In the last days the mountain of the LORD’s temple will be established as the highest of the mountains; it will be exalted above the hills, and all nations will stream to it.” The principal goal of dominion theology and the seven mountain mandate is political and religious domination of the world through the implementation of the moral laws—and subsequent punishments—of the Old Testament.

Little emphasis is placed on the gospel message of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ; the movement is more about staking claims and taking control. The seven mountain mandate is a movement led by false prophets, and it should be avoided and exposed whenever Bible-believing Christians encounter it.

Interesting Article from Charisma News

Here is an article from someone who is presumably part of the charismatic movement, but rejects dominion theology. I thought there reasons for rejecting it were very helpful. Check out the article.

• The word “dominion” in Genesis 1:28 is not referring to the exerting of dominion over humanity.
  • The New Testament model for gospel influence is through service, not through coercion.
  • I do not believe politics is the primary means to kingdom influence.
  • I do not vote for a political candidate just because he/she is a Christian.
  • God uses non-believers to fulfill His purposes.
  • I believe God has called believers to work toward having flourishing communities.
  • I do not believe all nations will be Christianized before the bodily return of Christ

Christ grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

(CarolAndrews) #3

@SeanO Thankyou for your help in this. I have read the references and it’s worse than I thought. I went to this charismatic WoF church for some time (no longer there) and have noticed a change in the people whom I call my friends. I’m a bit of a lost cause to them. I have tried talking on different matters but you just can’t say anything that may be a criticism. Wisdom I desperately need and will pray for God’s guidance in this.

(SeanO) #4

@Carol May Christ grant you wisdom and grace as you interact with those who have been led astray by these doctrines. May God’s Spirit open their eyes / heart and give you discernment to know what the best next steps are for you and your family.

(CarolAndrews) #5

@SeanO Just to let you know, Sean, I have prayed and studied a lot about this strange NAR “movement” I have come to the conclusion that it is better for me and mine to walk away. I am not alone others I have met are hurting from this “collateral damage”. Now we are competing with the Passion translation of the Bible. As hard as it is to part from my friends, I leave them in the care of a Good God. I pray the Holy Spirit will shine the truth through His word. I believe my friends know the truth. I have found a great church and continue to learn from and enjoy RZIM academy online courses. Thanks, Sean for your initial response… That’s 1 mountain less for me to climb. :slightly_smiling_face:

(SeanO) #6

@Carol I am rejoicing with you in that you are walking in the truth - praise Jesus :slight_smile: That is not an easy decision and I am so thankful you have found a good Church. May you continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus and may your friends also come to know Him more each day - God is indeed good!

(ThomasHeld) #7

@Carol @SeanO

For the last few weeks, I’ve been trying to put together a post on this false teaching but have held back trying to find the right words.

About a month ago, my sister (a born again Christian), called and asked me the same question you asked. At that point, I had never heard of it, so I’ve spent a good deal of time researching and watching videos from some of their teachers. Ouch!

The teaching is based on a book from Catholic Monk and Mystic,Thomas Merton, in 1946. Like all false teaching, the movement grabs on to one or two Scriptures as their proof text. In Seven Mountain theology, Isaiah 2:2. (Incidentally, that was not Merton’s intention - so it’s not even a faithful rendering of Merton.)

The Passion Translation and the Amplified Bible seem overly important to them, so I’m not surprised:

We’re hearing so much about other contemporary gospels: prosperity, social, judgement-less, prophesy, etc. It’s revealing how they all fit together - but at least there’s some positive news:

God bless.

(SeanO) #8

@TomH Glad you were there to provide guidance to your sister - may the Lord Jesus lead her into all truth.

(CarolAndrews) #9

@TomH thanks for your response and encouragement. I see this 7-M mandate, Dominion theology and WOF (interesting acronym) go hand in hand. Stripping it all down to bare bones, I believe there are many warnings in the scriptures about this false teaching in scripture and we should be alert. It is dangerous and seductive, promising health, wealth and power. We clearly see it in Genesis 3:1-6 and Luke 4:4, 8 & 12. Like you I have read about this subject. I found this book helpful “A New Apostolic Reformation? A Biblical Response to a Worldwide Movement © 2014 by R. Douglas Geivett and Holly Pivec Lexham Press, 1313 Commercial St., Bellingham, WA 98225 LexhamPress.com
The problem is one cannot speak a single word without being demonised. I will continue to pray for my friends that they will see through the deceit and lies. May God bless you and your sister.

(ThomasHeld) #10

@Carol @SeanO Totally agree with everything you said, Carol.

That is so true. I see these “teachers” as spiritual bullies. A lot of what they say is just pure nonsense (did you known that a well known “Teacher” - and I don’t want to name him and offend anyone on this board), rebuked a tornado and the tornado obeyed him, thus saving a commercial airliner?), but a lot sounds like good teaching. So, it’s easy for people to get confused.

But when you question their followers, (no matter how gently), or point out Gen. 3:1-6, and Luke 4:4, 8 & 12 (Scriptures I often refer to when talking with people), suddenly, “you’re not acting in love,” and they will diminish and demonize you.

That is an excellent book you recommended. I mentioned I’ve been researching this for about a month already - Justin Peter’s Ministries (justinpeters.org ), is also a great resource. His videos with, Costi Hinn, (Benny’s nephew who escaped from Benny) are excellent.

Right now, there are so many of these “teachers” on T.V., social media, writing books, etc, it seems like they are everywhere. We need to stand in the gap.

It all sounds so right who could be against it? The Social Gospel, NAR, WOF, The Prosperity Gospel, Seven Mountain Mandate, Name it - Claim it, Speak it into Existence, etc., (a lot of these overlap), how could anyone be against any of that?

The world needs Jesus Christ of the Scriptures - not the watered-down or puffed-up version that these “teachers” claim. Luke 21:8 :point_down:

And He said: “Take heed that you not be deceived . For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He, ’ and, ‘The time has drawn near.’ Therefore do not go after them.

God bless.

(Anthony Costello ) #11

@Carol

I’ve seen this metaphor used before (usually it is the 7 mountains of culture: education, politics, entertainment, sciences, etc.), but I don’t see it as anything that is directly related to some biblical or theological truth.

That said, I have no problem using it as a sort of tool for understanding how the church can, and probably should, engage with the culture around it. The church has always developed metaphors for trying to understand the culture in which it finds itself so as to better create strategies for sharing the Gospel (e.g. Augustine’s “City of Man” and “City of God”).

I think as long as we don’t blow it out of proportion by tethering it to some kind of shaky eschatological view it is harmless. Once we start making proclamations, however, about knowing when Jesus will come back, and what it will take for us to catalyze that 2nd coming, then I think we have entered into biblically and theologically choppy waters, ones that probably should be better avoided.

in Christ,
Anthony

(CarolAndrews) #12

Hi, Anthony. Thank you so much for your comments. Unfortunately, what concerns me is that these people that I refer to are very much proclaiming that they must “take the nations for Christ” and “seat Christian leaders on each one of the 7 mountains”. They will not enter into any discussion with anyone who may “talk negative” (and especially anyone questioning or asking for biblical proof of the sayings of their “Apostles or Generals”. It is a metaphor but a dangerous one indeed and you are exactly right when you write it is best avoided. I think ISAIAH 57:20 describes the choppy waters well - “But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.” I will wait for the storm to settle, pray harder and study more and try to talk to my friends one more time.
God bless Carol