My Question: Does Jesus really expect us to be untroubled and free from fear in every trial? How is that going in you?

Hi everyone, my question comes from the following verse; Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27 RSV
https://bible.com/bible/2020/jhn.14.27.RSV
Does Jesus here command his disciples to not let their hearts be troubled or afraid during their trial as He was facing the suffering of the cross and they were in their trial of being a witness to his suffering and death? Was he expecting the disciples to rely on the peace of the Holy Spirit he had promised even though it was clear they were not comprehending what was going on or the surface of what he was saying?
I am personally going through some trials that has made my heart troubled and at times I am very afraid. I know I have the promise of the Holy Spirit and I have trusted the Lord for over 40 years for my salvation and His plan and purpose to work out in my life. Yet the troubled thoughts which stab my heart come upon me and fear grips me and I am wounded and beaten up and as David says in Psalm 143:4,7 Therefore my spirit faints within me, and my spirit fails. I know I am only facing not finding employment that will provide for the needs of my family and not being wanted in lesser job opportunities even though I have had plenty of accomplishments over the years and served the Lord faithfully as well. But is Jesus really commanding me and expecting me to feel no pain or to be untroubled at all times as proof of my faith?

3 Likes

Hi @kcspangler56. Thank you for your transparency and your question.

By saying, “Let not your hearts be troubled … neither afraid” I think Jesus is recognizing that we will encounter experiences that arouse agitation and fear. Our comfort is that fear may arise, but it need not overwhelm us. As the hymn says, we have a shelter in the time of storm, we have an anchor that holds. Hurricanes are frightening, but in the eye of the swirling winds is calm. Likewise, the peace of Jesus is our calm in the midst of things that trouble us and make us afraid.

I was in a place once similar to yours. My company “deselected” me, which meant my job was technically terminated and I had to reapply for it. At the same time, we were just about to put our house on the market and I was at a crossroads in my preparation for ministry. Do we still sell our house? Do I pursue my ministerial studies or should I dedicate my time to keeping myself employable? These were among the most anxious months of my life. I sought advice from other seasoned Christians, prayed much, and ultimately cast myself and my family on God’s promise, “Seek first the kingdom of God, and these things will be added.” This meant trusting God about my job and ongoing “marketability” and trusting him about our housing. More than 20 years later, I look back and witness that God was faithful in all these things.

I share this to encourage you that God keeps His word. We are not immunie to anxierty. Things frighten us. But the peace of Jesus keeps us, a peace that those who don’t have Jesus do not have.

Something Paul says about grief may help with your question. Paul is writing in 1 Thessalonians to believers who have lost loved ones. He reminds them of the resurrection and the second coming of Jesus and says these give us reason not to
sorrow as others who have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4:13). It is not that we do not sorrow, but our grief is seasoned with hope.

Reasons to fear will come, but the Good News is that, because of Jesus, fear is not all we are left with. We also have reason not to fear — Jesus left us His peace.

6 Likes

@kcspangler56 I think @dennis.gladden nailed it! Praying that the Lord Jesus would provide for you and your family above what you could ask or imagine and renew your peace and strength by His Spirit :slight_smile:

Similar to a point Greg Boyd makes (referenced in linked thread), faith is not about an absence of doubt or an absence of fear. Faith is about trusting God with our fears and doubts; not an absence of them.

people tend to think your faith is as strong as your mind is certain, in which case doubt is the antithesis of faith, but this view is incorrect

Biblical faith isn’t about trying to attain certainty; it’s about committing to a course of action in the face of uncertainty

4 Likes