My Question: God of Bible vs Jesus as a prophet in Quran (Understanding Islam)

(Stephen Edward) #1

Hi everyone,

I speak across many university forums and small local churches. I come across a lot of youngsters from various backgrounds. I have been learning about various religions from a philosophical stand point and would love to learn more about how to present absolutes while debating about the Jesus in Bible, the Son of God VS the introduction given to Jesus as a prophet in Quran. What notion of truth can I present to make my statement more rational. Of-course from a theological stand point if I quote Bible they will be no great response but how can I raise a theistic foundation by talking through a naturalistic world view and then raise my argument in making profound absolute statements.

Any links and books can be suggested as I am willing to deep dive into this nature of truth.

Abdu Murray speaking @ Skeptics Night
(SeanO) #2

@StephenEdward You may consider this presentation from Nabeel Quershi:

Video: Jesus in Islam vs Jesus in Christianity

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #3

Maybe this link here could help:

https://www.answering-islam.org/Who/index.html

(carlos pamplona) #4

Hi Stephen,

Great topic. I think that Nabeel’s talks are great concerning what you are attempting to do.

Another thing that comes to mind is to treat both documents, the Bible and the Qur’an, as ancient historical documents. This way when you speak of them you can demonstrate a few things. First, the reliability of the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures, in terms of its transmission and sheer volume of extant manuscripts in our possession in comparison to the Qur’an, or for that matter any other ancient document is unparralled. Second, in quoting the Bible you will be using it as a historical document and there by remove the charge of quoting it as a Holy Book, even though it is the word of God. Third, since the Qur’an did not come into the picture 600 years after the NT was already written we can demonstrate historically that the Qur’an presents a Jesus contrary to the NT and other historical extra biblical writings. In terms of point three it is important to note that in presenting a piece of evidence it is always more reliable to have earlier attestation to the events in question and the recording thereof than later writings.

Some books to consider are:
History, Law, and Christianity by John Warwick Montgomery.
This is an excellent treatment of Christianity using the tools of history and the laws of evidence in presenting a case.
Another book is The Case for the Resurrection by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona.
Lastly, there is an article that speaks more of what I spoke about in the paragraph above.
It was worked on by Dr. Josh McDowell and Dr. Clay Jones. It is called the The Bibliographical Test. It was updated from an earlier work of Dr. Jones.

Hope this helps brother.

Carlos

(Isaiah J. Armstrong) #5

Books I’d suggest:

(Joshua Mathew) #6

i would recommend you to watch the videos of christian prince (arabian prophet) in youtube. His method of working among muslims is that instead of preaching from bible …he would expose the falsehood of quran ,hadith and muhammad in such a way that many muslims are leaving islam and are accepting christianity…as the amount of contradictions and illogical things of quran…compel them to leave their religion

(Stephen Edward) #7

Thank you Sean. I did go through Nabeel’s and Abdu’s work on Islam.

(Stephen Edward) #8

Carlos,

Impressive the way you presented. I strongly agree with the 3rd point and that is very compelling. Also to me the credibility of Quran is a debatable topic, knowing that fact that all of it was burned by Caliph Uthman and only one copy was circulated thereafter was a legit one.

I had the privilege of studying under Dr.Habermas in Liberty and I have to agree his book “The Case for the Resurrection” is a master piece, but however resurrection story might be an off topic while debating with muslims on the subject I mentioned above because they believe that Jesus was not crucified but rather someones else took His place as a substitute (Sura 4:156-158). Of-course we can attest the Gospel writers and Paul’s work saying Jesus was buried, attesting to His death.

I will definitely look into the article link that you have provided. Thank you.

(Stephen Edward) #9

Interesting, haven’t heard of this guy anytime. I will for sure watch his videos to understand more about the analogies he uses.

Thank you.

(Jimmy Sellers) #10

Jay Smith is also a good resource. He is a polemist. He has spent 30 years do this.

I think you will like him.