My Question: Has anyone encountered people from the World Mission Society Church of God?

Hi all,

There is a new group of people that state they are Christians that attend a church called World Mission Society Church of God. They are “bible believing church” but have a unique interpretation that the second coming of Christ has already come and that the he is the Holy Spirit reincarnated and he is called christ ahnsahnghong. They believe people must keep the Passover for salvation, baptism is a must for salvation, the sabbath and feast of God in Leviticus must be kept and observed, there is God the Mother and that the fulfillment of all second coming prophecies have been fulfilled by christ ahnsahnghong. At first I thought it clearly did not make sense but as you study some of their arguments it gets hard to refute. They use nothing but scripture to support their beliefs so it feels like people are fighting bible with bible. A lot of what they believe comes from obedience and observance of things from the book of Revelation and Daniel. How should one best approach beginning to share truth with these people? I strongly disagree with some of there ideas, but find truth in many principles which has been hard to refute. I ask this question for the truth to be made to help other’s who have been convinced there is a name other than Jesus Christ that brings salvation. Has anyone heard or encountered people with this group?

6 Likes

@allegra.brown I had never heard of them before, but CARM (Christian Apologetics Research Ministry) has a whole section on their website answering questions related to this group.

https://carm.org/world-mission-society-church-of-god

5 Likes

Thank you for the resource. I’ve researched many things on my own and have not come across CARM yet. Thank you.

4 Likes

@allegra.brown Sure thing :slight_smile: CARM is one place to check if you are worried you may be dealing with a cult.

Walter Martin’s book is a classic on cults, but I doubt it has this specific sect.

2 Likes

Hello, @allegra.brown. I was able to encounter a Korean missionary from their group before. I encourage you to ask specific questions or arguments which you find hard to refute. This will make it easier for us to help you on how to address their arguments.

I remember two arguments when I encountered their korean missionary before:

1. The first one is in Genesis 1:26, "Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness…” He told me that since God said “let us” then it’s more than one. There must be a mother. They will then cite verse 27 saying “in the image of God he created him; male and female He created them.” If we look at the whole passage in v. 27, we could see that “God created man in HIS OWN IMAGE, in the image of God he created him, male and female he created them.” The passage itself is not talking about a separate being which the image of this other being is where man is derived from.

2. If you talk about the plurality aspect (the “let us” part), and say that this is the Trinity, in my experience, they will ask you about the name of each member of the Trinity in order to say that you don’t know what you’re talking about (their red-herring). So they will cite Matthew 28:19, and say that since the passage talks about the “name” of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, then each of them has a name. Then they will say, “what’s the name of the Holy Spirit”?

The Greek word of name is onoma, which means reputation or character in the Strong’s dictionary. In HELPS Word-studies, it means manifestation or revelation of someone’s character. It’s not a literal name. So their red-herring argument is wrong. If you can’t answer them, they will use a person’s ignorance to say that if you go with them, they’ll reveal to you the “name” of the Holy Spirit.

My suggestion for you is to stay talking about the Bible. If they cite scriptures, then tell them the context of the passage so that you can expose how they are misusing it. Like if they say that they are the only people who are saved, since they are the only ones who keep the passover/Lord’s supper, ask them about the thief on the cross being saved without keeping it, or about Judas who kept it who was not saved?

Or you can engage them about passages that show that we are saved by grace through faith and not by works such as:

Romans 3:23-26, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.”

Galatians 3:10-14, "For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them. Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by he law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.” But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them. Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us-for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree” – so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.”

You can cite verses about Christ being the only way to challenge their view, such as John 14:6, Acts 4:12, and 1 Timothy 2:5 as well. I hope this helps!

8 Likes

@omnarchy God bless you for the time you took to write out your response. I would say the argument of Elohim and the Passover are the biggest areas of focus for me to refute at the moment.

Yes, my biggest desire is to show them the context of many of the words and passages they are using. I have been using Blue Letter Bible online and Strongs to help me to dig deeper into words.

4 Likes

Hi @allegra.brown,

Please keep returning to Connect to ask specific questions about particular verses that they offer new interpretations for. We’d be glad to help - the details will help us come alongside you.

Also, one other thing to keep in mind is how words themselves are being defined. When we hear a word like “Jesus” we may think we’re saying the same thing - we’re talking about Jesus! But actually, we are talking about two different people. One way I’ve heard this phrased is, “Same words, different dictionary.” The words are the same but the meanings are different. Keep asking what they mean by the religious words they are using. Then you will have more clarity about the difference between their definition and how the Bible uses those same words.

In addition, remember how much is at stake to change their understanding of the Bible. Speak not only to the interpretation of the Bible but to their hearts. Let me know that the grace of Jesus is sufficient to cover their sin, to heal them, to welcome them, and to have new life in his presence.

May God encourage your heart, may the Holy Spirit guide you, and may you help some of them find a relationship with the real Jesus!

6 Likes

@allegra.brown, would it be alright if you share their arguments about Elohim and the Passover? Your questions can help others who read through the threat in case they encounter the same thing in their particular contexts.

4 Likes

@omnarchy

This evening I met with my friend who is a member of wmscog and she was sharing that they believe they are angels. She began by asking do you know what salvation is? Why do you need forgiveness of sins? She then said that we sinned before creation and therefore are being punished and that Jesus died to forgive us for our sins so that we (angels) can return to God.

The verses used to support that humans are angels in her argument are Ecclesiastes 12:7
Gen 2:7
Prov 8:22
Job 38:21?

I was unsure of the context of the verses so I wrote them down to ask the community for help.

3 Likes

Hi @allegra.brown
I might be wrong, but they sound a little bit like Mormons (Church of the Latter Day Saints).

• pre-mortal existence
  • God as Mother as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/mormon/beliefs/existence_1.shtml

Ecclesiastics 12:7, I noticed a link from the CARM site SeanO provided
https://carm.org/mormonism/does-ecclesiastes-12-7-prove-we-pre-existed-in-heaven

Gen 2:7 from their site: https://wmscog.com/beliefs/the-soul-exists/
and perhaps some further reading from credible site (https://www.gotquestions.org/dust-of-the-earth.html)

(wow, on their website they have a picture of Strong’s Exhaustive concordance for the Bible… I have this on my shelf given to me by my Grandma and I tease her occasionally about using the internet to search for verses and cross references :slight_smile: … she is 93 and very close to going to be with the Lord now… @omnarchy, you were asking about Elohim / Passover references?
https://wmscog.com/heavenly-mother/elohim-god/ )

Elohim (plural) or El (singular) is in the Hebrew a title for a spiritual being. Yahweh is the name of God of the Bible. For example in Duetoromony 10:17

For Yahweh your elohim, he is the elohim of elohim,
and the lord of lords, the great and mighty and awesome

See in particular this reference from theBibleProject video notes:
https://d1bsmz3sdihplr.cloudfront.net/media/Study%20Notes/SBS_02_SN_Final.pdf from
https://thebibleproject.com/explore/spiritual-beings/ series…

Prov 8:22
Proverbs chapter 8 in context is the personification of wisdom. (https://www.gotquestions.org/wisdom-she-Proverbs.html)
Interestingly Jehovah’s witnesses would suggest that 8:22 is referring to Jesus being a created being.
https://carm.org/prov-8-22-31-produced-me-as-the-begining-of-his-way

also see the ‘Proverbs / wisdom’ video at https://thebibleproject.com/explore/wisdom-series/

Job 38:21
Reading the entire book of Job, shows this is God speaking to Job in chapters 38-41 and asking him a long series of questions. in verse 21 it’s God speaking to Job saying, in context, with a deep sense of irony here basically saying ‘Are you God, and know all these things, (because you were obviously already born, and have lived so many years with so much wisdom)’. Ie; God in reverse is implying Job knows nothing compared to God because precisely he wasn’t already born!

“Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
or walked in the recesses of the deep?
17 Have the gates of death been shown to you?
Have you seen the gates of the deepest darkness?
18 Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
Tell me, if you know all this.

19 “What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?
20 Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings?
21 Surely you know, for you were already born!
> You have lived so many years!

22 “Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
or seen the storehouses of the hail,
23 which I reserve for times of trouble,
for days of war and battle?
24 What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,
or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?

One of the most interesting messages I’ve listened to was Ravi Zacharius speaking at the Mormon tabernacle. He spent a lot of time finding common ground, it seems, then at the last one third of the message, he left them with the question “Do you have the Son?”. It’s well worth the time to sit down and watch if you haven’t already - if nothing more than to be encouraged.

(or this one is the full service https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3aVs4imQI)

My wife and I invited some Mormon missionaries in for further talks, and I asked them the 4 questions about a person’s worldview and we spent a whole session together (as part of the introduction course we had a task to talk to someone of a different worldview)… We kept in touch for a few sessions afterwards and in the end they became less interested in coming, and we also became busy with other live events. They had our mobile phone number and we had texted for catch up times… In the end, I texted them the Gospel to think about and shared it as clearly as I could, and then I sent them a youtube video of a testimony of a young missionary coming to Jesus… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mckI8Xfl8 He said he was not allowed by his church to watch youtube whilst on a mission trip but he would send the video to his mission leadership to look. I responded by supporting his church leadership and said that’s a good idea because there is a lot of distraction, temptation and false teaching on youtube. I then sent the youtube clip of Ravi preaching at the Mormon tabernacle and said this one was also worth a watch if he would like to pass it onto his leadership team for review.
I’ve lost contact now, but who knows what will happen with our efforts…

I guess I share all this to encourage you to keep the conversation going with your friend, keep planting seeds of the Gospel… keep trying to show Jesus’ love, and pointing towards Jesus…

sorry this is a loooooong reply… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I hope it’s somewhat helpful without being information overload!

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed response and resources!

2 Likes

One invited me to a “Christian Bible study” years ago. First of all, avoid being in their buildings if possible, i think they all live there. I felt trapped.
They remind me of Jehovahs Witnesses because they lie to carry on the conversation and are very deceptive with what they mean when they use the same terms.
In addition to what everyone has pointed out concerning context and grace, I’d like you to ask about the second coming. Jesus said May things would happen before he came back and that many things would happen upon his return.

1 Like