My Question: Hebrew meaning of Isa 53:8

(Laura Salata) #1

Hi everyone,
My husband has run into a person who says that Isaiah 53:8 was translated from Hebrew incorrectly… instead of “he” it should be “they”. It’s part of a larger claim where they say that “servant” in Isaiah refers to Israel.

We tried looking at the Hebrew to compare but it wasn’t super clear.
Any help would be appreciated.

(SeanO) #2

@we3salatas This interpretation of Isaiah 53:8, based on my understanding, does not stem of analyzing the Hebrew words on an individual basis but rather the context of the passage. The general argument is that this passage is about Israel as a nation rather than an individual and that the passage makes more sense when understood in this fashion. In response, it may be noted that Zechariah 3:8 also refers to the Messiah as the ‘servant’ and that many other Jewish commentators, listed in the Jews for Jesus article, recognized that this passage was about the Messiah. The details of the passage also so closely resemble the events of Jesus’ life that He is the most clear object in mind. Now, some passages in Scripture also have double meaning - referring both to something at the time of the prophecy and something in the future. I hope those thoughts are helpful. May the Lord grant you wisdom as you study this matter.

Zechariah 3:8 - Listen, High Priest Joshua, you and your associates seated before you, who are men symbolic of things to come: I am going to bring my servant, the Branch.

Isaiah 53 about Isreal or Jesus or both?
(Jimmy Sellers) #3

I just recently read something that has helped me to stay out of the weeds of words plucked out of verse. I don’t have the benefit of formal training in any of the original languages even thought I have more resource that I know how to use but this just made a lot of sense, “a word alone is just a word but words make sentences and sentence make stories” the point that was being made was that words by themselves can only mean what the words mean. I hope this helps as it does speak to the importance of context when the subject of word definitions become an issue…