My Question: how do we know Christians are right, an others wrong? In this day people believe truth can not be found

Hi everyone, how do I answer someone with another world view when they believe that there is no possible way of telling what you/they believe to be true, an saying that others are wrong? the only way I was able to answer was to explain how they thought about world views, that pretty much, it doesn’t matter what people believe wrong or right, it’s their belief, it’s their choice of truth, while they believe this, the other thinks the same, so each other thinks of the other as one who is lot an confused yet says “who knows, what if they are right”.
Sorry that was they best way I answered it.

3 Likes

Hi Bella, thank you for openly asking this question. It’s very honest and brave of you! With your heart to seek truthful answers, you’ll definitely bear fruit.

What you’re referring is often described as postmodernism. As of now, we are living in a post truth age whereby people think that truth is subjective and not objective. Basically people think that there is no such thing as truth and that truth is what anyone wants it to be. Whatever I think is true and whatever you think is true. Problem with that way of thinking is that, that cancels out what truth actually is. Truth, meaning that everything around it is false and that there can only be one truth. Truth is in fact, unchanging and objective. Even if people do not like it, 2+2 cannot equal to 3 just because i want/ feel like it should be. It just doesn’t work. Once you’ve established that there can only be 1 truth, it’s easier to move on.

There’a no way of convincing someone on the spot that Christianity is the right way. A lot of times it take continuous effort and discovery on the person’s part as well and what we can do is lead them in the right direction.

What I can say is that the first step would be to better understand and clarify the other party’s worldview. Ask them questions about what they believe and then evaluate with them how logically consistent their beliefs are, a way to get to the truth is to see if their worldview holds up logically in the big picture. With that you can also compare it to Christianity and how logically consistent it is.
For starters you can bring up the question of Origin, Meaning, Morality and Destiny. Expanding on that would make a good start.

Truth, also in a sense other than being logically consistent, has to be experientially consistent as well. Does what they say hold up to their life experiences? Does it give a sufficient enough answer to life’s questions? This is where Christianity flourishes, it being such a unique and experientally consistent answer to life and suffering with the solution in Jesus Christ. It does not deny suffering or make light of it, but acknowledges it and brings together what could be the solution to the Truth we have be always searching for. (Christ)
You can also look into historical evidence, it’s hard to refute the amount of evidence provided for Christ and the solidity of the Christian faith. I’d recommend the book:
‘Why trust the bible?’ by Amy Orr-ewing

It’s a tough journey but a rewarding one. I’d always believe that if you teach people to think you will lead them to Christ. Most importantly would be to continue to love and speak into your friends’s lives. There’s no better way to letting people know of God by the love and care you show to them. :slight_smile:

Kiko

13 Likes

Someone once told Ravi that there was no such thing as absolute truth and he replied by asking if he believed that statement to be absolutely true! Pointing out that inconsitancy in their belief could be helpful.

5 Likes

Dear David,
Thank you for your question to find out whether Christians are right and others are wrong. It depends on what matters? Especially these days when people think they have alternative facts to support their false narrative or belief system it is very hard to convince them of what we believe as the exceptional claims of Christ. My answer to your question is try to love that person who is asking you the question regardless. Listen to their assertions and arguments before sharing your thoughts on that particular matter. Above all have compassion on them as our Lord Jesus showed compassion on the rich young ruler who came and asked Jesus, Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? (Mark 10:17-25)
Our goal is not to win an argument but to win a soul by loving them and gently leading them to our Lord who has all the answers for any question in life. All the best in your pursuit to know the answers to defend our faith.
Blessings,
Francis Balla

5 Likes

Hello @Bella1990 What a great question! In Mark 5.19 after Jesus had healed the demoniac He told him to “Go…and tell them how much the Lord has done for you and what mercy He has shown you.” This is our call as well. When we give our personal testimony of what God has done in our life, it cannot be refuted. It doesn’t always have to be your salvation experience, but it can be. It can also be the time when He gave you peace and you shouldn’t have had it in that situation, or He answered a prayer that seemed impossible, or He provided, or rescued, or… Make it personal by telling what the Lord has done for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

The following post is excellent. I pray that it will encourage and strengthen you on your journey. Thank you for your question.

1 Like

Hello @Bella1990. Thanks for your question “How do I answer someone with another world view when they believe that there is no possible way of telling what you/they believe to be true, and saying that others are wrong?” It’s interesting to note that everyone has a worldview. Every person has a way or lens through which they view the world around them. For me, one of the best responses given to the question of world views, and which is right, was given by the late great Ravi Zacharias, (NOTE: I believe this was also pointed out in an earlier post). Ravi said that 1) a worldview is NOT made up of just one single thing, 2) a worldview must answer 4 questions or address 4 areas: a) Meaning, b) Morality, c) Origin, and d) Destiny, (not in that particular order). (NOTE I believe this was also pointed out in an earlier post).

This is to say or ask: a) What is the meaning & purpose of life b) How can I know what good is - what/who defines it?, c) Where did I come from, d) What happens to me (anyone) upon death? Then, as Ravi points out, there are three tests for truth: 1. Logical Consistency, 2. Empirical Adequacy and 3. Experiential Relevance. What is concluded is that Christianity best addresses, answers all of these questions and meets the criteria for truth. My answers may not be exactly stated in the Ravi has explained, but this is how I tackle questions like the one you posted. I think it’s important to go this route because many don’t understand all there is to a worldview, and once they do, they begin to think differently about their own. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thank you. Much appreciated. This is what I’ve experienced with others as I get into conversations with others with another worldview, They seem to mix them, an they don’t really understand them, believing something without looking into it, but approach the Bible with prejudice. In their mindset, everything is a preference.

Hi David, great question. Your response is right on. The pivotal word in your situation is “truth.” Jesus is brought before Pilot (James 18-37-38):

“Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Emphasis mine.) Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.”

Pilate is in the presence of the Son of God, does not wait for his answer concerning truth, and God the Father allows this to happen - for our benefit. Because as Jesus said, “Everyone that is of the truth heareth my voice.” In other words even though it pleased God the Father to send Jesus to die for the sins of the whole world, not everyone is going to believe.

“God has set eternity in everyone’s heart. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” Ecc. 3:11 (NIV). God implanted the awareness in every human being that the soul lives forever. There is a point in time in everyone’s life when they will question the big question about belief in what Jesus accomplished at the cross and whether or not it is necessary for salvation simply because there are so many world views. This can create confusion or doubt for the believer and utter disfunction for the unbeliever.

Jesus artfully describes the human condition concerning belief (or faith) in the parable of the sower), which is found in three of the four Gospels but I’ve chosen Luke 8:4-15 (KJV):

"And when much people were gathered together, and were come to him out of every city, he spake by a parable:

A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.

And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture.

And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it

And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?

And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

They on the rock are they , which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience."

Not everyone is going to believe on the spot no matter how much you try to convince them. Your job is to learn the truth and speak the truth in all things - plant seeds. You may see your seeds take root, you may water seeds that were sown by others, and God willing you will bring the harvest, that is to say you will lead someone to Jesus and they will believe.

There are dozens of scriptures yet to use to answer the question posed here. My recommendation to you is to study the word every moment you can. Start from Genesis and read all the way through to Revelation. The Bible is all about Jesus from cover to cover. God bless you on your journey and may he fill you with His Spirit abundantly above all your heart can hold. And remember, you will find Him when you look for Him with all your heart:

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:13

The Lord is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you; but if ye forsake him, he will forsake you.
2 Chronicles 15:2

Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually.
1 Chronicles 16:11

Shalom

4 Likes

All claims of religion are claims of absolute truth. Absolute truth is exclusive. It excludes everything that is not absolutely true. That there are differences between the claims means that only one can be absolutely true.

Which one? Where to start. God makes it easy. Jesus says
I am the way, the truth and the life. John 14:6
He’s not claiming that He is a truth, but THE truth, the absolute truth. Not a way amoung many, but THE only way.
Either his claim is true or not. That’s just logic.

Also, relative truth logically contradicts itself. If “your truth is true for you and my truth is true for me”, is that true for both of us?

1 Like

Thank you, you made some interesting comments I like. Love it.

David, The thing about sharing with others the Truth in Jesus, is to show them the love of Christ in our attitude of caring and patience in pointing them to God’s word. We want to win their heart for Christ not just their head.
Our responsibility is to humbly share our testimony with genuine concern for them.
Our actions speak louder than words.
A life lived for Christ is a powerful witness to others searching for answers.
The Holy Spirit does the convincing.
Thank you for your question.
God is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made. Psalm 145:9
Fred

Thanks bro.

I appreciate all the help I am receiving from connect, it’s awesome. A true blessing.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but we are told to seek the Lord. If we seek with our whole heart, he will be found.

Keep in mind that it is not our job to convert someone - that job belongs to God the Holy Spirit.

I think it was Michael Ramsden whom I first heard say that when a person is asking a question, there is a reason for their asking. There was a challenge recently about asking someone with a different worldview why they believe what they believe. I’ve misplaced the link, but someone on this forum knows.

My error is often saying more than is necessary, which is akin to force-feeding beyond a “child’s” ability to process. So I’ll stop here.
Blessings from grannyland.