My Question:How should we view the Noahide Laws?

(Mrs. Rachel Carpenter) #1

Hi everyone, I have been reading on this and am just looking for some insight as I get stuck on whom Jesus was addressing in the Great Commission. I have been told that we are not disciples or apostles. Help, please.

(SeanO) #3

@tetra941 Is your question related to the Noahide Laws or to discipleship? I will attempt to answer both. The Lord Jesus grant you wisdom.

Noahide Laws

The Noahide laws do not come from the Bible and are therefore not Scripture. They are taken from a Jewish literary collection called the Talmud. We should not see them as Scripture but rather as an interesting part of Jewish cultural tradition.

1. Idolatry is forbidden
  2. Blasphemy is forbidden
  3. Murder is forbidden
  4. Theft is forbidden
  5. Sexual Immorality is forbidden
  6. Eating flesh of living animals is forbidden
  7. Justice laws

https://carm.org/what-are-the-noahide-laws

https://carm.org/what-is-the-talmud

The Great Commission - Discipleship

It is clear that all who believe on the Lord Jesus have a faith equal to that of the apostles and that we will all be one in Christ Jesus.

2 Peter 1:1 - Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

John 20:20-23 - “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

We are all called to share God’s Good News - as it says in 2 Cor 5, we are all ambassadors for Christ Jesus. That does not mean we all become missionaries, but it does mean that we are always prepared to share Jesus with those we encounter in our daily walk and that we follow the Spirit’s guidance in our lives as we share the love of God with others.

2 Cor 5:17-21 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ,the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[b] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Romans 10:14-15 - How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

1 Peter 3:15 - but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.

(Jimmy Sellers) #4

This was in the Got questions link. I found this interesting.

In fact, in 1991, both houses of Congress passed a bill, signed into law by President George H. W. Bush, that declared the Noahide Laws to be “the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization” and the “ethical values and principles . . . upon which our great Nation was founded” (H.J.RES.104.ENR).