My Question: how to share the gospel to non-religious, non-atheist person

Hi everyone, how can I share the gospel to people who are non-religious, non-atheist or a person who doesn’t seem to care about their spirituality? Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Hello @GloryToGod

Thank you for your question. Sharing the gospel can be a very flexible process which is dependent on the person and the context. Having the leading of the Holy Spirit and being able to discern God’s will in each interaction does certainly makes a big difference. But many times, though we really want to share the gospel, it can still be difficult to know exactly what to say or do.

From a personal perspective, I think asking questions and meeting needs is a great place to start. Sometimes this could be in asking people what they need help with, or what questions they are looking for answers to. Find out more about the person, maybe asking questions like “what has helped to form your opinions or beliefs?”, “what do you value in life?”, “if God exists, what question would you want to ask him?”. Questions can help to form an entry point for a deeper conversation. But also be willing to love the person in meeting not only their spiritual needs but also their physical or emotional ones. When people came to Jesus to ask for healing, He healed them, if He saw that they were hungry, He fed them. His compassion wasn’t based on the prerequisite that they listen to His sermons. Jesus was always willing to meet the immediate needs of those who came to Him.

Matthew 15: 29-31: Jesus went on from there and walked beside the Sea of Galilee. And he went up on the mountain and sat down there. And great crowds came to him, bringing with them the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute, and many others, and they put them at his feet, and he healed them, so that the crowd wondered, when they saw the mute speaking, the crippled healthy, the lame walking, and the blind seeing. And they glorified the God of Israel.

I hope that is of some help. Take the time getting to know people and you will normally find the areas of emptiness in their lives in which only Jesus Christ can bring hope, joy and fulfilment :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

I’d suggest to just try to be as casual as possible. If they do believe that there is a God, thats a good start. The Bible says that the law brings about the knowledge of sin. Most people will say that they are good moral people, but using the law brings about the knowledge of sin and also the holiness of God. Charles spurgeon said, “God doesn’t clothe a man with the gospel until He has first slain him by the law”. It has been my experience with any true conversion, this statement rings true. Sinners need to see that thwy stand guilty before a holy God, otherwise they aren’t going to see their need for a savior. Then preach Christ crucified to them. My kids play this drawing game on my wifes phone and it always pops up with a half colored picture of Christ on it. Sometimes that’s what i think of when witnessing… All we are doing is getting them lost, then painting a picture of Christ to them, preferably using scripture (Hebrews 4:12).

Good luck!

1 Like

This quote must be the key to my question, thanks for that. I do believe that before you satisfy anyone’s spiritual needs you need to satisfy their basic needs .

3 Likes

Thanks @joelrodgers365

1 Like

That’s a great question, and one that I believe is actively present in the minds of many believers as they contend with sharing the good news of the gospel.

A couple of things to start with that I have learnt through RZIM training that are key when sharing, is listening and building trust. This help to bridge your head to your heart, and connect with the person, getting an understanding of the situation or issues they’re struggling with. Having compassion for the other person helps you share more meaningfully and effectively, you ought therefore to be quick to prayerfully seek God’s help if you find yourself struggling with compassion or connecting with the other person. Three clarifying questions that you can ask to open up the discussion;

1. What do you mean by that?
  2. How did you come to that conclusion?
  3. Have you ever considered…?

Prayer is core to effective evangelism. Winning souls to Christ is God’s mission, and He calls us to the privilege of being co-labourers with Him on this mission. We must be dependant on Him to get the job done. I like this quote by Rebecca Manley, " Recognizing our inadequacy is the first qualification to being used by God."

Rebecca Manley also has very good resources for an evangelism tool called Seeker Bible Study or Investigative Bible study that is specifically geared towards bringing non-believers or sceptics into an investigative discussion of the Bible and therefore Christ.

I hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:.

God bless you!

4 Likes

Very much agreed with this one as it’s the most effective tool can use in every aspect of our spiritual life

1 Like