My Question is about Amos 7:1

(Randall Banfield) #1

Hi everyone, I think it was Chuck Missler that said, Amos 7:1 was translated wrong. The septuagent reads; "the Lord has shown me, and behold a sworn of locusts were coming, and behold one of the young devastating locusts was Gog the king.
The translation in the NKJ says;"Thus says the Lord God showed me: Behold, He formed swarms at the beginning of the late crop; indeed it was the late crop after the King’s mowings.
Now Proverbs 30:27 says locusts have no king.
But Revelations 9:3-11talks about devastating locusts almost military like.
Is there truth to this, that Amos 7:1 was translated wrong? If so why? Who is Gog, Russia?
Also I find it fascinating that Revelation talks about this locust army, and maybe Amos 7:1 is a prophecy.

(SeanO) #2

@Randall From what I can tell Amos 7:1 should be translated as the ‘King’s mowings’ or ‘royal harvest’. That translation makes more sense in context and all modern translations go that way. In addition, the NET Bible maintained by Dallas Theological Seminary does not even mention the possibility of it being translated Gog and they generally have notes on significant textual variants.

https://biblehub.com/amos/7-1.htm

Net Bible notes on Amos 7:1:

tn Or “the mowings of the king.”
sn This royal harvest may refer to an initial mowing of crops collected as taxes by the royal authorities.

Steve Gregg on Gog and Magog

When it comes to Gog and Magog, there are many different views. I used to believe that Russia would invade Israel, but I no longer think that is the correct interpretation. It took me years to study through the different perspectives because you really have to dig into Old Testament books and understand how the New Testament uses the Old Testament. Smart people disagree. So I think it’s a journey to study this topic, but definitely worth it. I like Steve Gregg’s explanation of the four views of Revelation. Here are some of his thoughts on Gog and Magog from another form.

The mention of Gog and Magog in Revelation 20 might not be intended to be telling us that the Ezekiel 38-39 prophecy is involved. True, only Ezekiel and Revelation make reference to these name together, but Revelation has a tendency to bring data from the Old Testament into new applications. Thus, the woman teaching idolatry in the church of Thyatira is called “Jezebel” (Rev.2:20)—not because she is the same woman who seduced Israel into idolatry, but because of the similarity between the two, in principle. Jerusalem is “spiritually called Sodom and Egypt” (11:8)—not because she really is identified with these Gentile entities, but because her moral and spiritual state parallels theirs, and because her judgment is going to be described in terms reminiscent of theirs—i.e., fire and brimstone (9:17; 14:10; 19:3) and various plagues, like those of Egypt (darkness, water to blood, locusts, boils, etc.). These are not the phenomena that actually accompanied the fall of Jerusalem, but in the apocalyptic genre, these images serve to make the comparison between the fate of Jerusalem and that of these pagan nations.

Similarly, the preservation of the church under wholesale persecution, and her vindication against her enemies at the coming of Christ, are parallel, in principle, with the preservation and vindication of the post-exilic Judean community from overwhelming enemies, in pre-Christian times. Thus, Revelation uses the imagery of that Old Testament scenario (Gog, Magog, fire from heaven) in the description of this final vindication. In other words, I do not think that the fulfillment of Ezekiel 38-39 is necessarily the same historical event as that in Revelation 20, though the same names appear both places.

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74060&sid=11b8815516df7ad9d85b601d5064f6ed

Possibly Helpful Threads on Connect

Feel free to ask more questions and the Lord Jesus grant you wisdom :slight_smile:

(Randall Banfield) #3

@Sean O. Do we know how the septuagent reads Amos 7:1?

(SeanO) #4

@Randall It appears that the Septuagint does talk about a ‘caterpillar, king Gog’. But the Septuagint is not the original text - the original text was in Hebrew. The Septuagint is a Greek translation of the Old Testament completed around 100 years before Christ.

Septuagint, Amos 7:1 - Thus has the Lord God shewed me; and, behold, a swarm of locusts coming from the east; and, behold, one caterpillar, king Gog.

Brenton Septuagint Translation - Thus has the Lord God shewed me; and, behold, a swarm of locusts coming from the east; and, behold, one caterpillar, king Gog.

(Randall Banfield) #5

Good morning, Sean your a wellspring of knowledge, thank you thank you very much. Please forgive my persistence, can you tell me what the Hebrew says of Amos 7:1?

(SeanO) #6

@Randall Modern translations translate from the Hebrew - so reading a good modern translation (ESV, NIV, HCSB, etc) will be a good approximation of what the Hebrew says. Here is a translation from the NET Bible - which is a good place to check first when you have these types of questions.

Amos 7:1-2 - The Sovereign Lord showed me this: I saw him making locusts just as the crops planted late were beginning to sprout. (The crops planted late sprout after the royal harvest.

You may find the following thread helpful in understanding how we got our modern Bible and how translations came to us:

(Randall Banfield) #7

Sean dont you sleep, lol. Thank you for your time and energy. I will check out the Bible NET.
If that information was there last night as part of your response, I’m sorry for not seeing it. I’ll try to pay better attention. God bless you mightily Sean O.

(SeanO) #8

@Randall Haha, yes indeed I do :wink: Blessings to you as well friend. The thread that I linked on ‘Why are there so many Bible translations?’ should have a lot of helpful information as well.