My Question: Is it God who puts dreams in our hearts?

(chandra kishore sardar) #1

Hi everyone,
I pretty much grew up with just one dream that someday i would make a good doctor and be of any possible help to those around me. I worked hard and always excelled in my studies. After my high school, i soon learned that i had problems with my paperworks and couldn’t take medical entrance exams.i went under severe stress and mild depression that actually triggered a very bad diarrhoe which ultimately led to the diagnosis; Ulcerative Colitis. Meanwhile i felt the Lord wanted me to comply to one of my friends suggestion to apply to a college in Kentucky that provides full ride scholarship to every single enrolled student. I was hesitant and told the Lord to “not joke around with me” as i had never dreamt of applying to a college in the states. I agreed and applied twice but didnt get selected both times.I had spent most of resources and energy applying to the college.
I worked hard and left no stone unturned yet i failed at everything that could have possibly enabled me to join medical studies.
I wonder if that was me trying everything by my own strength and i know a lot of times i did but i also know that God was opening a lot of doors while I was applying and trying to get my paperworks done that I could have never done them myself.
I certainly am sure that its God that always enable to do superb at biology. Now and then I very much struggle and get drained up while studying something that I had never imagined myself studying.
Through these years I also learnt and am very sure that the greatest desire of our father for us is to be like Him and everything else ( career, studies,etc) are secondary. I try to surrender to His will each day and it has been a journey for me but to speak honestly there are days when i just lay on my bed thinking - by any means could it be that dream of mine put in me by God himself?

(SeanO) #2

@chandrakishore Here is a great sermon from Tim Keller that I hope could give you some encouragement and wisdom :slight_smile: I am currently pursuing an advanced degree and encountering many roadblocks. I am still in the middle of that struggle and have no idea what the final result will be, but I am certain that it is all in the hands of God. This sermon offers a very clear perspective - we need to try to make wise decisions, but we can trust that God will guide us even when we are not sure exactly which direction God wants us to go. That gives me a lot of peace.

What I normally ask myself when I am trying to figure out if something is God’s will - especially career related, is:

1. Am I skilled in that area based on my knowledge of myself?
  2. Have other people recommended I pursue this direction? I try to ask wise people around me who have more life experience and follow God.

If both of those are yes, then I ask:

1. Are there open doors for me to pursue that career?
  2. If not, what should I be doing right now? Are there any doors I have not tried knocking on? Do I need to just wait patiently? Do I need to choose another direction?

I am in a place in my life right now where I do not know the answer to all of these questions, so I am just waiting on God. One of my favorite verses is:

Psalms 27:14 - Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

I think time will tell if God has put a desire in our heart or not, because if it is from God He will make a way. If not, then there is another road He wants us to follow.

What is GODs definition of success for the NT believer?
(chandra kishore sardar) #3

Thank you so much for those words and sharing from your own story. I am blown away by the richness of the sermon by Tim Keller; so wisely and wonderfully stated. I am still trying to process them in my head. I am really challenged by the questions that you ask them and hopefully will ask myself those questions when needed. Thats so utterly practical but i also really love how you just put God over practicality of things.

(SeanO) #4

@chandrakishore Glad it was helpful. Yes, I really like that sermon from Tim Keller - a really good balance between learning to be wise and trusting that ultimately it is all in God’s hands. Will be praying for you - that the Lord would give you peace and wisdom.

(Patrick Prabhakar) #5

Hi @chandrakishore, as someone whom the enemy has tried to bring in sickness and trauma through lost opportunities and condemnations, I believe that you will overcome these days of adversity in the coming years when you anchor your joy in the Lord alone as you know nothing can separate you from His love.

Nehemiah 8:10b NLT
Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!

Isaiah 45:24a NLT
The people will declare, “The Lord is the source of all my righteousness and strength.”

Isaiah 45:24a VOICE
They will say of Me, “Only by the Eternal One shall I see things through. Only by God shall I go with integrity and strength through life.”

Psalm 84:5-7 NLT
What joy for those whose strength comes from the Lord,
who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,
it will become a place of refreshing springs.
The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.
They will continue to grow stronger,
and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem.

Romans 8:35-37 NLT
Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.” No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

As you have acknowledged that it is the Lord who has enabled you to excel in your studies, I perceive you have the gifting to learn, understand, acquire knowledge and also a heart to help the hurting as that is why you had pursued medicine in the first place. Our Lord also pursued a profession; He was a carpenter Himself as recorded in the scriptures.

Mark 6:2-3 NKJV [boldface mine]
And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands! Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.

Our Lord’s earthly profession ( if we could say that, as if He knew only one profession, as if He had only one profession :grinning: ) as a carpenter was not an end in itself, but only the means to reflect His ultimate calling on the cross (for the people); to shape, fix, restore and heal the brokenhearted (Luke 4:18). The knowledge of carpentry that our Lord possessed and displayed was only a reflection of the inner depths of His heart to accomplish and display His divine will at the cross for which He had come. So I believe that all the diligence, passion and skills that you have discovered in your pursuit of knowledge in the field of medicine is only a reflection of the inner depths of your heart to alleviate the pain of hurting people and serve them. You could always pursue this higher cause of helping people in myriad other ways knowing that all your earlier sincere efforts and diligence are never wasted when you give it into the hands of the Master who always gives us beauty for our ashes.

Isaiah 61:3 NKJV
To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.

Dr. Ravi Zacharias, in his book ‘The Grand Weaver’, has an entire chapter titled ‘Your Disappointments Matter’ and talks about how God shapes us through the events of our lives. If you have not read it yet, would recommend it.

I heard a preacher confess that his son was troubled during his final years in college and asked worriedly, "Dad, what if after graduation I discover later that this was not my purpose?"

To which the preacher had replied, "Son, if this was not your thing, it will make way for the thing."

I had heard another preacher talk about purpose that resonated with me; he said “Don’t ask what your purpose is, rather who is your purpose?”

Hope the below post too helps you in finding a greater purpose. And like you already know; God’s not done with you for Grace Himself knows your name!

(Rebekah DeWitt) #6

This spoke to my heart and situation. I plan to read it over again. Thank you for sharing.

(chandra kishore sardar) #7

Thank you so much Patrick for those encouraging and rich words. I really like how you have woven strings of Bible verses to everything you said.

I really love these words. I can only imagine How wonderful our Lord is who never lets any hurts or loss wasted. Everything is counted.

I echo you and well of course that doesnt mean i am completely immune to thoughts that make me question His sovereignty but I am fully convinced that our ultimate purpose is to be Him and He will never leave nor give up on us no matter what.
Thank you so much Patrick for sharing His heart with me. I really appreciate that. God bless you !!