My Question: Is losing everything for Christ familiar to you?

I thought I would jump and share my reflection from my Bible study this morning. The Lord seems to be drawing me to the Muslim people, and yet before I try to share Christ with them, I want to grasp the gravity of the situation they find themselves in when they entertain such a thought as Christ really being our Savior. Today’s devotion certainly has given me something to think about.

Joseph Loses His Cloak to Cling to God

How much do you value your relationship with God? Are you willing to give up everything for Jesus? Nicky Gumbel tells a story about a young man named Raj, who, at the age of 23, encountered Jesus and gave up everything to follow him. He allowed his family to give a funeral service in his name. He was dead to them because he was unwilling to give up Jesus.

Raj went from being a member in a wealthy family, with a kings inheritance, to losing his family, his home, and that inheritance. From fortress to starving. From sheltered with a bed to lay down his head, to walking all day and sleeping in parks at night.

We in the West, struggle to have an understanding of what it costs people in the East to call Jesus their Lord and Savior. We take for granted, our freedom to choose our religions, where others pay daily with their lives in order to keep theirs. We misunderstand the cost a Muslim pays to leave Islam when they find Christ.

In today’s devotion I was reading about Joseph and Potiphar’s wife and reflected on the relationship that Joseph had with the Lord. How he must have treasured the love of his Heavenly Father.

“Come to bed with me!” came the seductive plea of Potiphar’s wife, and yet Joseph held onto his integrity and told her that he would not do such a wicked thing as to break his master’s trust and sin against God! (Gen 39:6-10) In a moment of desperation, Joseph, leaving his cloak in the hands of Potiphar’s wife, ran from temptation. (Gen 39)

The only possession Joseph had after being sold into slavery, I imagine, was this cloak; the coat of many colours given to him by his father. The one link that he had to what was once his identity. Within a split second, his last tie to his true identity was stripped from him, and without looking back, he let go of all that was materially valuable to him and held fast to the hand of God.

When you reflect on your own life, can you relate to the price Raj and Joseph have paid to honour and hold fast to God? If you cannot, can you imagine being willing to pay the price these individual’s have paid?

Lord, help me to surrender all for you in my life. May your Son, be the treasure that I cling to above all things.

Amen!

3 Likes

I earnestly believe unless your salvation costs you something, you may not even be saved. This would be on top of giving up sinful things because your delight is in living a Holy life over your sin and it is a joy to part with sinful behavior. But also, it must cost you something. Whether that be extreme persecution, or someone talking behind your back, your faith should be tested so that God can restore you.

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/1pe.5.10.ESV

That is an interesting perspective Jesse, however, I wonder if you would clarify the idea that salvation must cost us something or we may not even be saved, when the word says that we are all saved by grace and not by works, so that none of us may boast. I see what you are saying in that suffering the loss of friends or being called names because we believe in Jesus, is part of our walk; but I am not convinced that I must pay a price before I can be saved.

When I said yes to Christ, I did not lose my family or my home or my job, as some in fact do, but I believe I am still saved by Christ. I want to understand what drives a person and what type of faith a person needs to be willing to give up everything for that “YES”.

@Gods_Cheer,

All I mean to say is that Jesus promised us persecution and suffering. I think not everyone at all times suffers for their faith, but I believe it will come at some point in our walk with Christ. There may be exceptions for some in terms of how strong a beating they will get, but I personally believe the prosperity gospel is from man and not from God. What I am advocating for is reliance on the Holy Spirit when hard things happen because they will happen, Jesus promised us we would have difficult times. An example of this is found in Revelation 2-3 where the only two churches out of the seven that did not need to repent were the ones under heavy persecution. Persecution is a sign of a healthy believer.

And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”
Luke 12:16‭-‬21 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/luk.12.16-21.ESV