My Question: Matthew 26

Hi everyone,

I was reading in Matthew 26 the other day. I came up with a question. It is never God’s will for someone to sin. When Judus betrayed Jesus, it was sin. When the Pharisees crucified Jesus, that would be sin. If Judas and the Pharisees would have never sinned, Jesus would have fulfilled the Scriptures and His calling-to die for our sins. God had use peoples’ sins to fulfilled His promise. How does that work? It is not God’s will that people sin, as said.

1 Like

@mbirky Great question :slight_smile: The answer is that God’s will is not singular, but multifaceted. Consider the following:

1. God’s moral will - God desires that all people should obey and honor Him, keeping His commandments and avoiding sin
  2. God’s permissive will - God allows humanity the freedom to sin if they so choose, violating His moral will
  3. God’s plan of salvation - God uses both righteous and unrighteous people in order to bring about His plan of salvation in history and invite all people to experience His love and grace. God can do this because He knows what each person will choose and is sovereign over history.

The Pharisees disobeyed God’s moral will, which was possible because of God’s permissive will, but they were still used by God as part of the plan of salvation.