My Question: Passover for Christians

(Suzanne Richardson) #1

Hi everyone,

This is my first question, so please let me know if this belongs under a different category. My question is simply: how do you celebrate Passover? Also, are there verses on celebrating Passover as a Christian? It is something I feel on my heart this year, but am a bit in the dark about.

Thank you for any answers!

2 Likes
(Bill Brander) #2

Suzanne, last year we hosted a Christian Passover supper at our church. It was great success. So much so that we were asked to do it again this Easter. But we have decided that bi-annually would be best. For 2020 I am trying to invite a “Jews for Jesus” person to come host the dinner.
I found a number of Christian Passover resources on the WWW.
Stay blessed
Bill

2 Likes
(SeanO) #3

@ZanneR I do not personally celebrate the Passover, though I have attended a Passover Seder put on by an organization similar to Jews for Jesus, where they explained the possible pointers to Jesus as Messiah. I like the approach that the following article suggested - we should be careful about assuming that the Passover as celebrated today is identical to that celebrated in the 1st century, but there is value in understanding the link between the Passover lamb and Jesus, the Lamb of God who took away the sins of the world.

The only caution I would offer based upon personal experience is that we remember that as Christians the Passover is not a sacrament and everything of true value is found in Christ Himself. We are under the New Covenant - not the Old Covenant. We do not need to celebrate the Jewish feasts in order to supplement our faith in any way - Christ is all in all. But celebrating the Jewish feasts can help us understand the Biblical story line, so it is useful in that sense.

Colossians 2:16-17 - Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

I think Romans 14 is helpful here as well - if some want to celebrate the Passover and others do not, it can be a matter of conscience and no one should judge their brother or sister. As long as their actions are unto the Lord.

Romans 14:5 - One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

Many Christians and especially Messianic Jews (Jewish believers in Jesus) exercise caution in the way the Messiah is linked to the Passover Seder. In the introduction to a new book entitled Messiah in the Passover , which we edited, Christian readers in particular are encouraged to both study and celebrate the Passover as a way to deepen their appreciation for the Jewishness of the Savior. To describe the book’s approach, Glaser writes,

In general, we have taken a very cautious approach and will try and understand the Jewish backgrounds of the New Testament as best we can and not simply presume that the mishnaic tractate Pesahim or today’s Passover Haggadah can simply be read into the Last Supper. Yet, we point out where we do find striking parallels between the religious customs observed by Jesus and his disciples at the Last Supper with later Jewish religious developments, and so many of our authors will suggest that these traditions could have been practiced during the Last Supper.

3 Likes
(Suzanne Richardson) #4

Thank you very much, @SeanO! This has helped me tremendously in better understanding and also learning and realizing we are fully under grace. The verses you included are timely, and the articles are interesting and edifying too. Thank you for your thoughtful response; I will consider this going into the season!

1 Like
(SeanO) #5

@ZanneR Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: Praying that you would be blessed as you contemplate these things and grow more in the love and knowledge of Jesus!