My Question: Practicing social work with a christian angle in a profession that is becoming less and less christian view friendly

Hi everyone,

I am a student social worker soon to be a clinical social worker. I know that this is what God has for me and my ultimate goal is to help children and their families dealing with hardships.

I think the crux of my question is; what are some strategies in which I can bring God and Jesus into the recovery discussion? I have some thoughts about praying for guidance and wisdom before each session, but I just wanted to hear from others about some different ideas and strategies.

4 Likes

I don’t have a short answer. The great thing is that you will be doing God’s work I believe in helping those in need. You probably just have to learn as you go on best ways to introduce God and Faith into the equation without triggering too many people or getting reprimanded. Not easy. I would start off doing my job and being good at it, working as unto the Lord. God will open ways for you to reach out from more of a Christian angle I believe as you pray for direction.

3 Likes

Hi, @Andrew_Collins! Thanks for sharing your question with us. :slight_smile: You’re working in the American system, right? I’m writing you as a student counsellor who is wondering a similar thing, but I am in the British context. So my own initial thought concerns the question of ethics: Are there any restrictions in your ethical framework on introducing religious topics in conversations with people that you work with? Much like @ReSound-TruckDriver has said, it probably would not serve one (and others!) well to force conversations, but, is speaking about broad spiritual matters an ethical violation? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for responding. What you said makes complete sense. I was just trying to start conversation as I see this as being a real challenge. Many of my colleagues, though kind people, can be very liberal on many issue’s.

1 Like

I am in the American system. While it may not be an ethical violation, it may still offend people and some people can be militant about their liberalism.

2 Likes

I think usually a good, non-offensive ‘in’ is asking people if they have any spiritual beliefs. It leaves it open for the conversation to move in all sorts of directions.

1 Like