My Question: Regarding our body being dead in sin?

Hi everyone,
Please explain Romans 8:10? Am I correct to think for as long as we are on earth in terrestrial bodies we sin?

2 Likes

I think that this particular verse reinforced the roll of the Holy Spirit in the life of a believer. It is the Spirit that gives power to the believer’s life that they might live a life in harmony with the will of God. Because we still are in the flesh there is a high likelihood that we will sin. I am not one to hold to a sinless perfection in this life and on the other hand I don’t think that we can go on living a life that shows no evidence of be being a new creation in Christ.

I hope that helps.

3 Likes

@JMo Good question :slight_smile: I think if you look a little further in Romans 8 you will find the answer. As Christians, we put to death the misdeeds of our body by the power of God’s Spirit. I agree with @Jimmy_Sellers that we are not perfect in this life and still must wrestle with sin, but praise God that through Christ Jesus we have power to walk in victory, even in this life!

Romans 8:12-13 - Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

John 14:21 - Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.

3 Likes

Thank for the reply @Jimmy_Sellers.
So we can beat sin when leaving in spirit. I believe this after reading a few other scriptures about living in spirit. Though I am not certain how to live in spirit.

3 Likes

Thank you Sir for the reply. I am enlightened.

3 Likes

@JMo Glad it was helpful :slight_smile: Regarding how to walk in the Spirit, I think the Scriptures give us very clear instruction on how to grow in our faith. For example, 2 Peter 1 contains a beautiful exposition of how to grow in Christ. We need to grow in goodness, knowledge, self-control and love. It is a process of understanding God better and of understanding ourselves.

I think sometimes people get confused because they either continue to sin or do not feel strong emotions for God. Both of these issues require the Spirit, self-understanding and God’s truth. We are told to sing psalms and hymns in our heart to God and to pray - those are part of growing. We are told to grow in self-control - that is part of growing. All of these things take time and I think we learn as we ask the Lord for wisdom and seek to live out the things we do understand.

2 Peter 1:3-11 - His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

1 Like