My Question: Sharing your faith as a business owner or employee

Hi everyone,
I hope today finds you well! I’m interested in hearing from business owners and Christian employees on ways they share their faith in day to day operations. What are your biggest challenges? How have you seen the Lord overcome obstacles? If you own your own business, do you witness through your business social media? I’m looking for business and office type testimonies, struggles, and victories of all sorts.
May the Lord’s peace be yours,
April

3 Likes

Hi, @BloomHere! I myself am not in business as such, but I wonder if a few people in the @Interested_in_Business group would care to weigh in with some of their thoughts and experiences. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi April, my wife has her own business and I know that most mornings she starts the day off with prayer - asking who needs prayer for whatever.

One challenge she has is with witch doctors and their ‘spells’.

So I’ll be watching this forum.
Thanks for kicking it off.
Bill

3 Likes

Hi April,
I am a business owner and have found it easy to be a light and a blessing to my clients and associates. Words are NOT the primary way that is required to be or to give a testimony. I BRING the atmosphere that I want every where that I go. I smile, I encourage and am Light. Whether a discussion ever comes up about the Lord or not…they ALWAYS figure it out that I am a Christian. They notice that I don’t have a “potty mouth”, I don’t talk about the things that they talk about, I will respond to something with “Thank You Lord” or when I leave I will tell them to “have a Blessed Day”. Most “Christian Language” STANDS OUT in today’s world and I have found that those who are open to or hungry with questions will eventually bring up the various topics with me. It makes sharing SO MUCH easier because…they brought it up and not me. I have prayed, cried and hugged many of my customers through hard times and the tougher times get for some, the more likely they are to call me or approach me.
Hope this helps. God Bless! Rick

4 Likes

That’s a great idea! I don’t think I have access to that group. I’m still learning how all this works on Connect…

1 Like

Wow…that does sound challenging. I hope there is opportunity to hear some of her testimony!
Thank you for your input, Bill!

That’s awesome, Rick! Thanks for sharing those great tips.

I agree with @1rickolson’s approach. In addition, as manager of a critical global project (a couple decades ago), I would reserve a conference room, share when there was an urgent situation, and invite those in my team who desired to come to the conference room to pray for help. Some prayers were spoken, others not. This approach never created a problem within the team or with management.

It also provided evidence to those on the team who chose to stay at work rather than pray and others with whom we worked, that prayer was a critical part of our success. Our team faced an unusually high number of challenges, to the point that even the systems administrators told us that they were aware that if there was a bug in the operating system or the software used to build global applications, it was our team that would find it. This gave us an abundance of opportunities to keep peaceful as we allowed Him to work in the situation and shine through us as we faced serious challenges.

So, even in a global corporation, a witness can be given in a manner that supports the work environment and does not steal time from the employer. Culture has changed and corporate environments tend to be unique, so I am not guaranteeing this would work in any other time or corporation, but offering it as an example of one way to ethically express one’s faith while also fulfilling one’s obligations to an employer.

5 Likes

A very creative witness, Sally! It’s amazing how God shows Himself through those situations. Corporate culture is different all over. Years ago my husband was part of a once a week lunch hour Bible study that was open to anyone. They just grabbed their food and sat and discussed (none of their bosses had any issue with it because it didn’t interfere with work.) But another employee (not part of the group) complained that there was a Bible study happening, so they were kicked out of the office for that lunch hour. We figured God must have wanted the local BBQ place to host a weekly Bible study! LOL!

3 Likes

Yes, culture has changed. We also had a weekly Bible study in a conference room at lunch. It was lead by a man who would soon be attending seminary, and included an employee who was also a pastor and would routinely share his thoughts and insights as he was preparing for his next sermon. They were special times of getting to know His body and His Word.

2 Likes

I am terrible at sharing my faith. I’m a big scaredy-cat. Part of that comes from having worked in “big law” for 6 years where religion is faux pas. Also because of a lack of confidence. Not good at getting a conversation started. Ironic because I love speaking in front of crowds.

That said, I’ve taken to wearing an “I Am Second” bracelet, which has spurred good conversations I’d not normally have been able to have.

5 Likes

Oh, thank you for your transparency, Fred! I know a lot of us can relate to being cautious and scared. I love the “I am second” resources! That’s a great way to break the ice. If you’re up to it, you should share some highlights of those conversations.

1 Like

Haha. It’s a cheat. It’s an interesting enough band to get someone to ask, “what’s that” or “what does that mean”?
I can follow with an explanation of the core of IAS and usually pitch the videos. People know me as a lawyer/scientist so the perceived dichotomy between my faith and career lead to interesting follow ups. I.e., “how does that work?”

3 Likes

That’s great! I’m sure your career path provides lots of opportunity for interesting conversations!
Thank you for sharing!

1 Like