My Question: Timeframe of Creation

Hi everyone,
What does everyone feel about the conflicting theories of the timeframe of creation

2 Likes

That is a question that comes up frequently and as you ask imagine has yet to be answered to anyone satisfaction. Here a link to the most recent thread. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the subject.

Here is a question for you, Should modern day scientific facts (not theories or half baked claims) influence how we read and understand scripture as it relates to creation?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

2 Likes

@Sherine @Honeybadger @Jimmy_Sellers

I agree with @JohnV that this is a secondary issue.

Sherine,

As Jimmy has said, you can look at a number of threads on this topic on Connect and discussions all over the world with people who are vehemently determined one way or another. Both, I think, trying to validly connect Scripture to their own understanding and experience. I have my own personal thoughts on the subject as well, but when talking and discussing with other Christians and Non-Christians who hold to different thoughts/interpretations I only focus in on four words… “In the beginning God”. This is the starting point and, in my mind, one of the fundamentals that can’t be let go.

In NO WAY am I saying that the rest of scripture can be let go… ALL I am saying is that in this particular debate with such strong opinions on both sides and with what I see to be a secondary issue of precise timing, we must find ground which we can agree on and build a foundation from that.

All Christians assume (I’m hoping) that God was there in the beginning as per the first four words of the Bible. He is the cause that started everything no matter the mechanism. Atheists (currently) assume a beginning to the universe and believe the mechanism to be the Big Bang… it is argued as to what the cause is and that is where a conversation can begin. For me the mechanism is irrelevant (to some degree) as long as the cause is God. I’ve mentioned in other posts that I think there are theological implications depending on what your view is of certain aspects (I find it difficult to hold to anything other than a literal person of Adam and Eve, for example) but we must be careful not to alienate or dissuade people from the core areas that must be recognised for salvation and I think one of them is God created everything.

Food for thought on the subject… I find it interesting that Genesis is written in sections which begin with “This is the account of…”

2:4 “…the heavens and the earth when they were created”
5:1 “…Adam’s family line”
6:9 “…Noah and his family”
10:1 “…Shem, Ham and Japheth, Noah’s sons, who themselves had sons after the flood”
etc… the list goes on.

So these are all very specific as to what is happening. But the first chapter has no such introduction… it starts “In the beginning God”. At no point do I disregard what scripture says, or doubt it’s veracity… but is it possible that from 1:1-2:3 when the first “account” is started (and note that the first account in 2:4 is of creation), that the first chapter is there to tell us what the cause was of creation and not give a chronological or detailed account of it’s mechanism? I’m not saying it’s an airtight argument… otherwise people wouldn’t argue over it. All I am saying is that I think one can hold entirely to the authority of scripture while still making an allowance that literary devices are used by the writers of scripture in order to make the point they want to make.

3 Likes