My Question: What does Isaiah speakes in Isaiah 61

Hello my Christian brothers and sister…Lord impressed on my heart freedom for humanity…and also for it entier creation…After reading Isaiah 61. Write what Lord put in your heart and share it with us…and everyone eles…Lord blessings.

1 Like

Hi @Zarziph, thank you for sharing what the Lord put on your heart. This is something I will have to go away, read Isaiah 61 and see what the Lord says to me too but just wanted to respond now to let you know that’s what I’ll do. This passage is such a well known and beautiful proclamation of God’s heart for his people. We should definitely be praying freedom in Christ over others. I’ll respond more fully later :grinning:. Blessings.

2 Likes

Amen, thank you for responding…wish a safe trip, my prayers for His creation from hands of the …

Looking to hear and read Lord reveal to you.

Lord blessing

1 Like

Greetings @Zarziph, and thanks for your good question!

Beginning in Luke 4:16, Jesus at the beginning of His ministry sat down to teach in the synagogue of His hometown, Nazareth. He was handed this chapter, Isaiah 61, to read. He read the first verse and half of the next, but then stopped after reading “to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.” The very next phrase that He did not read was “and the day of vengeance of our God.”

And He looked up and amazed those who were gathered by announcing that this day this scripture was fulfilled in their ears.

He was presenting Himself as the Messiah Who had come to proclaim and do all the wonderful things the passage described, but not to execute the vengeance of the Lord, yet - that would be at His second coming - and it would be followed by the glorious kingdom that the rest of the chapter describes - which would last for 1000 years.

So why did Jesus stop reading there and close the book?

Because when He was finished, His own hometown tried to kill Him. Israel was not yet ready to receive their King and His kingdom. And until they are, He will not return to fulfill the rest of the passage that He didn’t read - Matthew 23:39.

I hope this helps you!

2 Likes

Hi @Zarziph. This passage of Isaiah 61 is both beautiful and very exciting. As @jlyons said, this shows Jesus fulfilling some of the prophecy (700 years after the prophecy was given) and also showing that he has yet to fulfil the rest of the prophecy. We are in the pause between ‘the year of the Lord’s favour’ and ‘the day of our God’s vengeance’.

In addition to this big picture of who Jesus is, I find it is a really lovely way of getting to know God’s heart for the world and us as individuals. He has his big plan of redemption for the world through Jesus, the Messiah. And Jesus embodies this through his ministry in the gospels. Just a few examples are:

• to heal the broken hearted: (Luke 7:11-17, Matthew 11:28-30
  • to proclaim liberty for the captives: (Matthew 8:1-4, Matt 12:22, Mark 5:1-20, Luke 6:17-19)
  • to bring good news to the poor: (Matt 12:46-50, Matt 14:13-21, Luke 6:20-23)

Both at the time of the gospels and today, Jesus is bringing the good news that he has freed us from the power of sin in our lives, that he heals us, that there is hope no matter how tough our situations are. When I struggle to understand God or know how he is directing my life, reading something like this encourages me and builds my faith to trust that God is good, that he loves me, that his purpose is to bring life in abundance and that with God, there is always hope. I think this is such an important truth to anchor our hearts on, especially in our current climate around the world.

Greeting Miss. Alison,

I put that chapter Isaiah out there so start a conversation and to hear people resound–I enjoyed your writing that was great.

Lord blessings.

1 Like

@Zarziph What a great question you ask and timely words from the prophet Isaiah.

When it seems as though the earth itself has been clothed in sackcloth and ashes, we see the end result of that state for believers is a crown of beauty and a garment of praise. Rejoicing. In the waiting and trusting, only in God’s economy do you start with destitution and lack but end up with abundance and overflow.

His words to the poor, brokenhearted, captive, and prisoner in this passage are reminiscent of His encouragement to us in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5). A question I have asked myself is: Is Jesus working poverty, humility of spirit, mourning, destitution and lack in all of us through these recent events so that our hearts are prepared when He gives us the true riches of heaven?

This whole chapter of Isaiah 61 speaks of a characteristic of our God that John Piper has summed up well.

“Our God is an unshakably happy God.”

Thank you again for your post. :slightly_smiling_face:

mb

Thank you kindly…yes it was useful…I put that out there for Lord put it in my heart…Lord blessings.

1 Like

A well though…and will put input. Than you…I have found out that LORD GOD speakes to you hearts and want to change us to the image of His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ…In the process we learn…and hopping we know enough that our salvion is by grace…of course only He could touch our heart and touch the heart of his creation so they may await with egar expection for childern of God to be reveal…My prayer goes that he give us the wisom to set so we let go of what we have been keeping captive… Some of us…some more than others…Lord blessing. Now i want every one to read Isaiah 53. And they tell me how that verse speak to thier hearts. Lord blessings

1 Like