My Question: What's the proof of the Lord's existence?

Hi everyone,
I personally believe in God, and I’m Christian. Although my faith is not as strong as it should be, I am fully aware of the Lord’s existence and love for me.
I however met a friend in school who was atheist, and thinking it was the right thing to do, I decided to try and help him believe in God. I didn’t think it mattered at the time that my own faith was unsteady, not realising it’s not quite wise to try sharpening a blunt knife with another one.
I started questioning my faith in God more and his existence when my friend started asking ME questions I couldn’t answer; like “How do you know He’s really there?”
The only answer I was able to come up with at the time was a question; “How do you know He isn’t, just because you haven’t experienced Him.”

It seemed like quite a hypocritical question though, because I myself am not quite sure if I have ever experienced God. I think my little faith in Him is only still alive because I come from a Christian family, and so it’s hard to believe otherwise.

As for my friend, I wasn’t able to convert Him, because with every explanation I’d give, he’d always find a way to rebut. I’ve decided to take a break on that, and try and fix my own faith first.
All of a sudden, it seems just knowing He exists isn’t enough; I’ve heard about God from the people around me, and read about Him in the bible, but I haven’t encountered Him personally.
I’m not sure if that’s asking Him for too much though, and I get scared sometimes when I doubt Him, because I know He doesn’t like being questioned.

Please Help. Any suggestion at all about what you think I should do next is very welcome.
Thank you!

9 Likes

This a good question , and I can say is the fundamental of our walk with God. Every beleiver might have once question the existence of God. Many have turn away from the fairh because they did not get any answer or proof for their skepticism.

But there is actually a proof of God’s existence. Sometimes the reason why such people walk away might be that upon all the proof they still don’t want to believe ,this we might say they have harden theie hearts to the truth .others sometimes are blinded to the truth, the God of this world has blinded their eyes and we need to pray for such people.

Romans 1:19
“Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them.”

Romans 1:20
“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:”

From the above verses we could see that Paul stated clearly that God has revealed Hus existence theough His creation. So creation is an evidence of a Spiritual Being who cause things into being. Genesis 1 "In the begining Gid created heaven and Earth " tell a person behind the cause and tht person is not just a machine but a being.

But I understand your question as how you are going to tell an aitheist who does not even belt in the Bible. There are many ways to go about that but I will talk on few points.

The existence of God can be proved by;

1. Moral law theory

2. Cause and effect

3. Design an purpose.

4. MORAL LAW THEORY

Every human society has a moral standard and observes a certain moral code. Even the aitheist belives tht murder is evil, stealing , raping and such vices are not accepted in a giving community. Things such as love, peace , kindness etc are accepted codes in every society. So if we think there is something which is good and which is evil then we have a standard for which we judge every action. So if we assume there is a moral law then there is a moral law giver, and this we believe is God.

1. CAUSE AND EFFECT

We also believe that to every effect, there is a cause. Many aitheist believe man evolved from apes so they hold on to the evolution theory. And whole lot of theory telling the origin of the earth(You can read in them). But you and I know that nothing on this Earth existed in its own. Even if the theory of evolution is true then there may be a point where something must cause the apes to exist. We know tht an apple tree was once a seed but that seed did not exist on its own, so there must be someone to cause the seed to exist.

3.DESIGN AND PIRPOSE.

We know that this Earth exist not by chance due to how it is formed and shaped
, How the moon and the sun are caused to appear in time, how the occeans are placed and given bounderies. We understand that the designer designed them for a special purpose. In view of this we believe the earth did not come by any chance but a Being might has design them for a purpose.

I hope this little insight can help. You can search more on these theories .thank you

5 Likes

Hello Abena,

This is a great question and I just want to offer some short words of encouragement for you here. First of all, none of us start off in great faith. Faith is something that grows as you grow with Christ. The more you get to Him, the stronger your faith will grow. Think of sitting in a chair that you unsure will hold you up. You may place your faith in that chair when you sit down in it, but when you find out it does hold you up, you will grow in your faith that it will hold you more and more. Christ knows that we are not perfect and He will help us when we ask Him.

Little faith is actually something that even the disciples struggled with, so don’t fear. In Matthew 8 we see this from the disciples. Verses 23-26 state, “And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.”
Then in Matthew 14:28-32, “And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.”
Finally in Matthew 17:18-21, “And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was healed instantly. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?” He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”

Despite even all the miracles Jesus did, the disciples struggled with faith early on. We start off as children in Christ and we grow and mature as believers. Don’t be frustrated if it doesn’t happen at once, He who has begun a good work in you will bring it to completion(Philippians 1:6). Spend time in prayer with Him and in His word reading and studying. It’s the best way to get to know Him, and the more you know Him, the more you will experience Him. He will not be angry with you for asking Him to open your eyes and heart to experience Him. I pray for this continually. He wants us to seek that and to grow closer to Him through our experience of Him and our growing love of His Son, and His word. He will never deny you if you desire to ow in your relationship with Him. Just realize that sometimes that growth does not always come in he ways that we expect it. That is where we grow in faith as well, when we don’t quite understand, we still trust in Him who is working in our hearts. Remember what He said in Matthew 17 that if we have faith like a mustard seed we can, figuratively, move the mountains. This is a metaphor Christ uses to tell us that even little faith is powerful, but, what matters is where our faith is founded, it must be founded in Christ.

As for evidence, it is all around us. Every time you look outside, or look up at the stars, you see the evidence for God. Romans 1:19-20 tells us, “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
He is clearly perceived in creation, we are told. Not only that, but this evidence is so overwhelming that we are without excuse if we deny Him. When we see all that He has created, it is obvious that He is there and has created all things.

I hope this helps a bit Abena. Pray for your friend that they will see the truth of God, and continue to witness to them. God has a purpose in placing you in their life. Lift them up in prayer to Him, it’s one of the greatest things we can do. Don’t lose faith, you’re on the right path. We all have to grow and develop as we follow Christ. Trust that He will help you through and seek His help in all things. May God grant you wisdom and understanding as you pursue Him. God bless you and thank you.

Matthew

7 Likes

Thank you very much for this. It has been of great help!
God bless you

2 Likes

You are very welcome Abena. If you have any other questions please ask them anytime. God bless.

Matthew

2 Likes

Thanks very much for this. I really appreciate it. God bless you

1 Like

Hi Abena @_ab.na. I am glad you are here, as you said you took a break to try and fix your own faith first. I commend you for doing that because now you are making Christ, your own. Not your family’s or not your community’s. You are going to be a blessing for many.

On a side note, having doubts is only natural. God is not scared of our questions. That’s why he says come to me and pray. So we understand who he is. Prayer is not about getting our way but actually aligning our will with God’s will. For that to happen we have to ask and understand who God is and why he does what he does and why his ways are superior than ours. God knows all about you and I. he wants honesty, you cant fake it and stay the same when you are doubting. You have to come to God and say why or show me the way. A closed heart and arrogance is not the way but a sincere question is always welcome.

John 20: 25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.” 26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

Now to answer your question, there is a great outline one of the speakers on ask RZIM recently did but I will organize it with added resources below.

To start with, a lot of people who ask for proof of God, usually tend to use the scientific method. But we have to remind them there are many ways to “prove” or show it is likely that God exist even if we cant make God show up like a genie (This is not Alladin :wink:). For instance in the court system, they cant reproduce the murder, they just use hints, clues, and arguments to show it was probably the case for the murder. So the things I will present below will have a mix of them.

1.The Kalam Cosmological Argument (philosophical argument): The universe had a beginning. Anything that has a beginning must have a cause. You cant bring matter-space-time out of nothing. And the cause for the matter-space-time has to be outside of itself because it cant cause itself. Such a cause has to have a causer. The “causer” has to be beyond time, all powerful, eternal, uncreated, and spaceless. Here is a great video from William Craig that summarizes that really well.

2. Design and fine-tuning of the universe argument (scientific evidence): Looking at the world and the laws of physics and nature, it is perfectly tuned for life to exist. Science says so. Not just for man to exist but for any life to exist. Chance/evolution cant just do it despite scientists persistence to that theory. But if it is designed by a designer then that is possible. No one says this computer I am typing with came out of a thin air by chance. No, a designer like microsoft or apple took their time to make it. Well our God is so powerful, he just called into an existence :wink:. Here is another great video from the same place.

3.The Moral argument: As ravi says a truth claim (say one thing is good or bad) cant be made using science. Science can only tells us how things happen, But it can never tell you why or if you should or can do anything. Making a moral judgement is beyond science. To make a moral judgement, we need objective moral laws. To have objective moral laws, we need a moral giver. A perfect standard. Only God is perfect. That indirectly proves that God must exist if we think there are moral laws that we all should abide in. For instance, it is never okay to kill children for fun. It is not subjective or an opinion. It is always true. Here are two videos that do a great job to explain it. .

4. The historical Evidence for the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus
So the top three arguments/proofs help us see there is definitely a great probability for a God who is powerful, personal, eternal, outside of matter-space-time to exist, but then we encounter the God of the bible. The son of man/God, Jesus who was there from the beginning of time (the Word), takes a human form and takes part in human history. Anyone can claim to be God, but the one thing about a God, if you ask me, is the one that can raise the dead, give sight to the blind, cure illness, walk on water, forgive sins, and above all is personal, cares and have the moral principle of a God. He died for us. He is the ultimate of everything. Here are a few great videos as well. Dr William Craig is awesome.

5. Personal Evidence/Experience
Last but not least is our personal encounter with the Living God. Someone cant say they know the ocean because they put their feet near the shores. Experiencing Christ and living side by side with God daily is something that cant be taken lightly. Here is a quote and a great video by Ravi.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. - C.S Lewis

I hope this helps. Keep asking, keep seeking. You’ll find it. You’ll be strengthened, you will be unshakable. With that many can be saved.

Matthew 7: 7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

I will also leave you with a great quote by Alex Vileken (well known physicist) said by John Lennox.

"An argument is what convinces reasonable men, and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man. "

God Bless You

8 Likes

Hi Abena! You’re only 14 and already engaging in apologetics. What an excellent example.
The fact that you’re sharing with you friend shows how much you’re interested in his or her view points.

These are some questions which you can ask your friend.

1. Origin- where do humans beings come from?
  2. Meaning- what is the meaning of life?
  3. Morality- How do you know what is right or wrong?
  4. Destiny- Where do you go when you die?

Firstly, when you want to engage with your friend, be genuinely interested to know what he/she truly believes in; that’s learning his world view. Hold yourself back when you want to argue. I know it is hard. You will be learning more about what your friend’s beliefs.

Secondly, read up as much as you can regarding atheism.

Thirdly, pray for your friend every day to be receptive.
Pray for opportunity to share the gospel. Remember, it is the work of the Holy Spirit to save your friend.

When I was studying the Core Modules at RZIM academy, I interviewed an atheist using the questions above. I didn’t do much, but just asked her those questions. Asking questions make people think. I prayed for her often and believed that God would save her. Believe me, today she is a Christian.

6 Likes

God bless you very much for this Mr Dan, and for the attached videos as well :grinning:
It has been of great help!

1 Like

Thank you so much!
I’ll be sure to try this approach with my friend and any other non-believers I encounter :smiley:
God bless you

1 Like

@_ab.na @David_Quophi, @mmingus36, and @Danageze have posted some very wise and practical material. I would like to share my perspective, too, because I think that this may be a case when numbers bring comfort.

I am encouraged by your effort to serve God despite feeling inadequate to the task. It reminds me of my very first evangelistic effort. Many years ago, in elementary school, I attempted a full frontal assault on the school bully’s clear spiritual poverty by looking him in the eye and saying, “You will go to Hell if you do not repent!” That tactless effort failed. He continued to bully me for a long time afterward. Your effort at least shows a little more tact! A friend once told me, “Before you can be great, ya gotta be good. Before you can be good, ya gotta be bad. Before you can be bad, ya gotta try!” Not direct from Scripture, but still true.

You are not alone. The only person in past, present, and future history whose faith never wavers is Jesus Christ. Elijah ran in fear and near-suicidal depression after presiding over Baal’s humiliation on Carmel (1 Kings 18-19). Peter disowned Jesus (Luke 22:61). Moses succumbed to anger (Exodus 2:12, Numbers 20:11-12). David committed adultery and murdered one of his most loyal associates (2 Samuel 11, cf. 2 Samuel 23:39). If these great saints so spectacularly failed, then you are in great company. They would commend you for your effort to serve God with your step of faith.

Remember that you do not convert people. God converts people (Ephesians 2:8-9). Therefore, feel free to muck things up with a generous heart, which you clearly have. God always uses his children for good purposes. You cannot be useful if you do not try to be of use to him! Muck it up! Make mistakes! Learn and grow!

God bless you for watering your mustard seed of faith. Mountains will move because of it.

6 Likes

Thank you very much @blbossard yes, you’re very right - numbers bring comfort.
I really appreciate your message :grinning: and I’ll be sure to keep trying to strengthen my faith regardless of my mistakes

2 Likes

Hello, Abena! Very wise advice from those who replied before me. The only thing I would add to this is please give this to the Lord in prayer. Seek and you shall find. Knock and Jesus will answer! I will give you an example of my asking God before I took a trip to New York with friends to place someone in my path to share the Gospel with. I was there 4 days and coming home on the plane ride is when I met Flora, a French girl. Her eyes were very sad and she seemed very introverted. However, she spoke to me first and that’s when the Holy Spirit took over. I talked to her for almost 2 hours about Jesus. It was very surreal and it’s as if we were the only 2 people on the plane. She said she didn’t have religion in France. Before I knew it she was crying and I had some sticky note Bible verses in my purse that I gave her. She placed them on her laptop and kept touching them. I gave her my cell # to call me but she didn’t call. But I have no doubt the Holy Spirit gave me the words that day and she will come to know Him.

2 Likes

Abena,

"If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, then we have no hope." (Paul, 1 Corinthians 15:4) I'm sure you've heard that one before, but I trust you have also heard that we are to sanctify the Lord Christ in our hearts and always be ready to present a defense for the hope that is within us (Peter, Romans 3:15).

These verses are 2 sides to the same coin. Present the evidence for God by studying and presenting the evidence for the ressurrection first. I highly suggest a book called "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel, a Pulitzer prize-winning, former atheist and journalist. NOTE: The book is nothing like the movie if you've seen it. It is more matter of fact, scientific and investigative.

If you can establish the credibility with your friend there that a man came back from the dead--and after being tortured, crucified and stabbed--it is only a hop, skip and a jump to proving God exists. The book will help you with both. As for stirring the conscience for presenting the gospel, Living Waters videos are a great resource.

Take care,

John S

2 Likes

Hi Abena,
There have been such wonderful knowledge shared by faithful followers. Just from own perspective I would like to share something with you…I feel that one comes to realize more significantly about God’s existence during trying times and even during near death experience. They say that true prayers are heard more in hospitals than churches. We tend to believe His existence when we are most vulnerable. Let me share one such experience happened long way back when I might have been 10 years old. My brother and I were playing in a pond which was quite deep in the middle. I was still in the water with my little bouy almost at the middle when my brother got up on dry land. And all of a sudden I slipped from the bouy and I started drowning. I don’t know how long I was under the water but I remember clearly that everything was becoming more deep green above and it was quite. I was consuming more water to float above. But out of nowhere my legs started flapping and I started seeing more light. I almost came to the surface when my brother grabbed me in the water. He probably waited and then jumped into the water when he couldn’t find me come up. My hands bumped onto his throat and he got choked and we both drowned for a few moments. Anyway, we both got saved. Now looking back after many years when I had realized that God was there in every moment of my life, He was there that day when I drowned. If He wasn’t, then I wouldn’t have been alive to tell you this story…and you wouldn’t have known this. God bless you in this wonderful exploration of knowing Him.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this @Carol_Howard_Fights :smiley:
I’ll be sure to keep praying to the Lord for help. Bless you!

2 Likes

God bless you @John_Suprock
I’ll look out for “The Case for Christ,” and try using this to prove to my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

and thank you @SouravGomes too for sharing that experience :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

" God converts people (Ephesians 2:8-9)."

It really helped me in my first evangelistic efforts when I stopped putting pressure on myself for the other person to become a Christian. It is truly the work of the Holy Spirit’s to convict another person of their fallibility, allow them to see their need for a Savior, and to recognize that Jesus is that Savior. It is only my responsibility to pursue God wholeheartedly; care about other people enough to hear their stories and see where they are coming from; give them the opportunity to make the choice of an eternal lifetime; educate myself on the truth of the gospel and how to make a sound argument (lovingly); and try to get out of my own way, so I can make myself available to the Holy Spirit to use me to reach the lost.

Sounds like a lot, and it’s hard, but God has blessed every effort I have made in each of these areas. Sometimes I pull all of these things together and see tremendous fruit…or not. Sometimes I fall into a lukewarm pattern and see tremendous fruit…or not. This has convinced me that the Holy Spirit is at work through my brokenness, and my brokenness allows me to connect with the lost. Regardless, God is faithful, and his mercies are new every morning.

As for where you are in your journey, when you chose to put your faith in Christ, the Spirit removed the veil (2 Corinthians 3:16 - 18) for you to experience freedom and behold the glory of Christ. Here is where the journey of transformation (sanctification) begins as we seek to align our lives with Christ’s through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is everywhere…before belief, in the acceptance of Christ, and in the sanctification journey beyond.

One of the most powerful discipleship studies I participated in is called “One on One with God.” It helped me develop a toolbox, if you will, of ways to connect to and hear from God personally. Here is the theme verse that we meditated on for the 15 weeks of the study:

Philippians 3:10 AMP

[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]

Studying apologetics and using the tools in my “One on One with God” toolbox together, ignited my faith journey. The only thing I regretted was not having engaged in these practices sooner. Everyone’s journey looks different for a variety of reasons, but God is in the midst of each moment waiting for us to seek Him, and I believe He takes great pleasure in revealing himself to us.

I pray that you will seek Him wholeheartedly and in doing so, He will make Himself known to your personally. I pray that you will have a heightened sense of perception as you seek Him, that you will recognize the ways in which He has and is orchestrating your life, and that He will grant you understanding for the things He is showing you. I pray that the Holy Spirit will strengthen you with His power, grant you wisdom for your journey, and ignite a passion in you to know God above all else.

I believe that his greatest desire and our greatest purpose is for us to know Him. I have no doubt that this prayer is already being answered, and wish you the best in your faith journey.

1 Like