My Question: Which day is the Sabbath Day

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the keeping and observing the Sabbath Day as described here
Exodus 20:8-10 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Which day of the week is this to be?

1 Like

Depends who you are talking to. Messianic Jews still celebrate Shabbat on Saturday while gentiles usually go to church on Sunday.

I think this is one of those things where following the spirit of the law is better than the letter of the law. Also, you have to take into context that this command was given so that the Israelites would give their bodies a break to recover since they worked a lot harder than we do today.

While some people outside of the Church may not know that Saturday is the Sabbath, I don’t know any Christian who denies it - certainly no knowledgeable Christian would. Most Christians meet on Sunday in honor of the resurrection, and many refer to it as the Lord’s Day. But even those who call it a “Christian Sabbath” do so to distinguish it from what we all know is the Sabbath in the Bible - the seventh day - Saturday, which God gave to Israel for a day of rest as a sign between Him and them (Exodus 31:12-17).

Some people teach that because the Sabbath rest is included in the 10 Commandments, that makes it a part of the moral law which is binding upon all men everywhere. And even before that, they note that in the creation story God blessed the Sabbath and sanctified it, so it has been binding on mankind ever since the beginning.

But others note that it could hardly have been a commandment for mankind to rest in paradise when plucking fruit freely from the garden was no burden at all. They point out that God sanctified it because He rested (Genesis 2:3) - He sanctified it unto Himself, not for mankind.

Furthermore, if this were a moral law binding on all mankind, then it could not have been a sign between Him and Israel. Moral laws binding on everyone don’t work as signs to distinguish one group of people from the rest.

Finally, moral laws are written in the hearts of all mankind. People’s consciences pain them if they kill an innocent person, if they steal, if they lie. Even people in primitive cultures without a Bible recognize the basics of moral right and wrong.

So when’s the last time your conscience beat you up about mowing your lawn on a Saturday? Or doing laundry? Now, if you grew up in a Jewish or sabbatarian family, you might feel guilty for doing something you were taught to feel guilty about. But that’s not the same as intuitive guilt that no one had to instill in you.

So why do Christians in general feel no guilt about working on Saturday? Because Hebrews 4:1-10 explains that we who have believed in Christ have entered into the rest that Jesus promised all who come to Him (Matthew 11:28-30). Under the New Testament, Sabbath keeping along with kosher diets, circumcision and all the rest of the Jewish ceremonial rituals were “nailed to the cross” (Colossians 2:13-17).

Having said that, though, I would not deny that it is beneficial to rest about once a week - and the Lord’s Day when the saints gather to worship is undoubtedly a very convenient day to do this for most. But obviously we shouldn’t turn it into the kind of burden that the Pharisees did to the Sabbath in Jesus’ day.

Hope it helps!

2 Likes

Thank you Jesse for taking the time to reflect on my question, and to reply

1 Like

Thank you also jlyons for your reflection, along with scriptural referencing pertaining to the command.

@JPederson

I would like to add a few things to consider when approaching this question. The above answers are correct a traditional Jewish sabbath day is observed on Saturday. Christians typically (Seventh-day Adventists excluded) observe it on Sunday “the Lord’s day”. However many protestant pastors take their sabbath on Monday, as Saturday and Sunday’s are technically workdays for them. All of these variations make the sabbath day something that is not concrete. Here is what Jesus said in regards to the sabbath, 27 And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”- Mark 2:27-28 ESV. I would say in light of Jesus’ words, the sabbath should be a day that is observed each week. Which day? It doesn’t matter, rest in the Lord.

3 Likes

I agree with what’s been said already. My pastor did a great job by teaching that keeping the sabbath and like the other 9 commandments are principles to live by. While the sabbath is Saturday, specifically Friday sun down to Saturday sun down, I have my sabbaths on Monday. Why? I work for my church on the weekends so I apply the principle of rest on Mondays bc it works for me. I do stil honor the actual sabbath just because I like to like lighting Shabbat candles and reciting the Jewish blessings and attending a Jewish Havdalah class at my church on Saturday evenings. Christianity after all is a Jewish sect. I love learning about my Jewish roots. Blessings!

3 Likes

Hebrews 4:1-12 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

One important clarification on that passage - when verse 8 says that if Jesus had given them rest, he would not have spoken of another day - most people’s natural assumption would be that the “Jesus” he means is Christ - but in the context of the Israelites entering the Promised Land, he’s actually meaning Yeshua, which in English is Joshua, the leader who succeeded Moses. The verse is not saying that Jesus Christ failed to give His people rest - it was Joshua’s generation that failed to completely drive the Canaanites out of the land.

Thank you for expressing this question. The answers give a new view on age old usages of the texts used. I have learned and enjoyed, especially since I I view some of these ideas differently, being a Seventh-day Adventist. It is great to read new thoughts and applications and so lovingly presented. So thank you again, from deep in my heart for your question.

1 Like

Hi Joseph @JPederson. I think you’ve challenged us to think about what God means by keeping the Sabbath holy. Your reference to Hebrews 4, though, I don’t believe refers to keeping the Sabbath, although it seems to come across that way.

First of all, Chapter 4 begins with “Therefore”. So, we have to see what was previously said to understand what “Therefore” is there for. That means we need to look at Hebrews 3:19 which says that we have to be careful not to do what the Israelites did because of their unbelief.
Well, what did the Israelites do? Starting in verse 7, it says they hardened their hearts and failed to enter God’s rest. That “rest” refers to Psalm 95:8-11. Looking up the Hebrew word used for “rest” in verse 11(and in Psalms), it’s the word “menuchah”, which means “place of rest”. We know that the Jews who didn’t believe God all through the wilderness journey, including their unbelief at conquering Canaan, never entered Canaan, symbolically, “the place of rest”.

Hebrews 3:13 and Hebrews 4:7 says that God had to institute another day called, “Today”, meaning to “daily” make an effort not to enter unbelief. It was the writer of Hebrews warning us to remain faithful in sharing in Christ until the end.

Then, chapter four continues that thought by drawing a comparison with God’s Sabbath rest. That “rest” is the Hebrew word “shabbath” or “a ceasing”, referring to Genesis 2:2. God did not need to “rest up”, so to speak, on the seventh day. He stopped working, or ceased His work because He was finished. That is the Sabbath rest, or “Day of Rest” that Hebrews 4:4 is talking about.

Verse 7 repeats the concept of God’s creating a second “day”, calling it “Today”, meaning again not to enter into rebellion, unbelief, etc., as Israel did, or we would fail to enter that Sabbath rest also–we can call it “the day of completion”.

Exodus 20:8 says to have a day of ceasing, foreshadowing the day of entering into God’s Sabboth rest. Hebrews 4:8 says that, although Joshua took the next generation into Canaan (the place symbolizing God’s rest, they still didn’t enter God’s Sabbath rest or “day of rest”, or day of ceasing when God was finished. Consequently, that Sabbath rest still remains to be entered into, and anyone who enters that day will also have ceased and finished his labors.

The Contemporary English Version (CEV) puts it in a way that is more easily understood: “But God has promised us a Sabbath when we will rest, even though it has not yet come.
The warning comes again in verse 11 which states that we must be vigilant and not fail to enter that rest by being disobedient, as Israel was.

Summing up chapter 4, we see it is a warning not to fail to enter that Sabbath Rest which is yet to come because we fail to be obedient and faithful to God.

Colossians 2:16-7 states, “So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.” For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality".
In this case, the new converts were being criticized and judged by the strict followers of the Pharisaic version of keeping the Sabbath that was burdensome.

I believe God gave us standards of behavior in the 10 Commandments. Because Christ is the fulfillment of the Mosaic Laws, does not mean we are released from those codes of behavior. However, remembering to keep the Sabbath reverts to the first commandment that the Lord is God, and we are to honor Him by ceasing from our labor.
Two wonderful examples of ceasing from labor are the two Christian-owned companies, Hobby Lobby and Chick-Filet. Both of these companies are closed on Sunday to honor the concept of ceasing from their means of livelihood to honor God. David Green wrote a book entitled, “Giving it All Away and Getting it Back Again”, in which he tells how God has blessed that business and his life by honoring that day our culture deems the Sabbath.
So, I believe God is telling us to cease from earning our living, our livelihood, on the Sabbath (regardless of what day it is) to honor Him. In honoring Him, He blesses us.
It is a principle by which to live. It doesn’t matter what day becomes our sabbath as long as we do it to honor Him and recognize the principle of ceasing from our labor.
Even if we work in a garden, play sports, do wordworking, or read a book on the Sabbath as a means of relaxing, we still honor Him by not doing our primary means of income that day. Of course, don’t neglect to go to church.

2 Likes

Mark 2:27-28 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

1 John 5:2-3 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Thanks Joseph @JPederson. Once again, I think we have to look at the context in which Jesus said this. I think, rather than my making the attempt, I’m going to refer you to the website, “Got Questions”. I think it explains it a lot more succinctly than I.

2 Likes

Hi Joseph @JPederson. I’m still ruminating on the question of the Sabbath and have done some digging. What I’ve come up with are my observations and speculations, with the exception of the third point that I have substantiated from the Gospel Coalition.

First, I went to Exodus 20:8 and read it closely. It says six days of labor, the seventh being a day of resting and holiness to honor God’s creation. However, it doesn’t say which of those days to start counting as the first day. How do we know which day was God’s first, on through to the seventh?
Also, as John Lennox points out, the Hebrew word for “day” has four different meanings. So, one day in creation could have been years, not necessarily a 24-hour period. It was sequential and had a start and a beginning. But we’re not told in Scripture what that first day was named, even though the author of Genesis was Moses.
It is highly likely that the Israelites had some sense of time as to days of the week because their forefather, Abraham, came out of Chaldea, also known as Babylon. The Babylonians are credited with observing the cycles of the moon, noting it took about 28 days for a cycle with 4 phases. Thus, they set a calendar of seven days for a week, four weeks for a month. (Gen1:14 gives us a clue that God established seasons on the fourth day. So, the Babylonians probably did their math based on what God had already established. (If you think backwards from “seasons”, you can divide it into 4 months, the months into weeks, etc.). The Babylonians also are credited with naming the days of the week based on planetary bodies.

We know that Cain and Abel observed sacrifices to the Lord. In fact, only an animal sacrifice was acceptable to God.(Genesis 4:4) So, some communication had to be passed down from God about that. He possibly had them observing a six day work week, although nothing is mentioned of any instruction or observance of that until after the Israelites left Egypt. Deuteronomy 5:3 states that the covenant given on Mt. Horeb was for these Israelites, not their forefathers.

Exodus 19:1 says it took three months for them to reach Mt. Sinai (also called Mt. Horeb). It’s estimated that that journey took 50 days. Perhaps, the Israelites based their Sabbath observance on those 50 days (7 weeks) after leaving Egypt. I couldn’t find anything specific that the OT says about which day was to be called the Sabbath. It could have been based on what Abraham handed down.

To me, the point God was making was that He wanted an observance of an established Sabbath (or 7th day rest) since He wasn’t specific as to which named day of the week it should be. So many of the other laws He handed down to Moses were very specific, such as the Feast of Tabernacles which says that the 15th day of the seventh month was to be set aside to observe this celebration. This does tell us that the Israelites did work off of a calendar already established.

Secondly, other references to this command, Ex. 31: 12-14 and Deut. 5:13-14 use the same Hebrew word for “work”. It’s “Melaka” which has the connotation of “occupation” or “business”. So, the implication is that resting from labors is a cessation from work of livelihood and, perhaps, work that wouldn’t be deemed essential for living, but involved labor. (Maybe building a fence to denote one’s property line e.g.) The collecting and preparing of manna was prohibited on the Sabbath. (Ex. 16:5,23) We know the Mishnah added burdensome prohibitions to the law.

A third thing I noticed was that the giving of the 10 Commandments was a covenant between Israel and God. (Exodus 19:3-6; Exodus 31:12-13) Deuteronomy 5:1-3). It was a sign between Israel and God that God had made them holy (Ez.21:12).
An interesting article supporting the fact that the Sabbath was a sign for the Jews under the Old Covenant, but not necessary today under the New, is from The Gospel Coalition: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justin-taylor/schreiner-qa-is-the-sabbath-still-required-for-christians/

As I stated in a previous post replying to your question, I think the 10 Commandments certainly set out a stand that God expects from all of us. However, it appears that the commandment to observe the Sabbath was a special sign between Israel and God that they were a holy people unto Him.
Believers today are now a royal priesthood, a holy nation… (1 Pet. 2:9). So, I think we should observe the Sabbath as a principle God set forth for rest. However, I don’t see it as an obligation for Christian believers as it was for the Jews.

Maybe others have a different perspective.
Whatever the varied opinions, it’s been a very interesting study for me. It’s made me do a lot of thinking. So, thank you for raising the question.

1 Like

Hi folks. I have expressed my understanding, or lack of it, on the Sabbath question in other topics. Here i would like to just suggest a simple test.

Since God trained the Israelites to observe the 7th Day rest, His Sabbath, when they entered the wilderness, before even the giving of the Hand-written instructions on Sinai, and the Israelites/Jews maintained the days of the week according to the very Word of God since that time, let’s consider Friday sundown to Saturday sundown as the correct Sabbath.

Then we can do a simple experiment, if we are willing. We could spend some extra time during that period of the week remembering the Creation and Crucifixion and Resurrection. And we could replace any usual “work” we would do with extra Scripture study, service to others, etc.

And then we could just leave it up to Christ as to whether or not He is pleased with our “obedience” to that particular Commandment (which He wrote in stone, i believe). Of course, we would want to avoid any attitude of “legalism” or self-righteousness, and just make ourselves more open and available to His love for us and others on that day – with less distractions.

Perhaps, for some people He may give us sufficient encouragement/empowerment to try it again the next Sabbath. For others, there may be no perceived value.

Of course, we can still go to church on Sunday, if we wish, since there is no prohibition of that in the Word. This is just a suggestion – to let Him help us decide if it is His will, at least right now, to keep His specified 7th day “separated” or “holy”, in a personal way.

As Believers in Jesus, we have been “grafted into the Vine” that was strongly directed to keep a specific, special rest with Him weekly, even as we strive to rest in Him withn our normal working hours.

Thank you for considering this idea.

1 Like

Thank you and it is wonderful that you looked further into my question. I will however now state my personal position on my question which I wrote not specifically for me, but a question to bring about comments, views, interpretations and maybe additional questions regarding this topic.
I am a Sabbath keeper, ( including all Sabbaths meaning holy days ) and a 10 commandment keeper which yes is an Old Testament covenant, but my personal view on Gods Word which will never pass away, is eternal, and God does not contradict nor go back on his word. I truly believe in my heart that the 10 commandments were written for everyone to obey not just Jews or the Isrealites, as the Word of God is for everyone. In the New Testament for one of many examples
1 John 2:3-11 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning. Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth. He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
In particular mention to remain on topic regarding the question of the Sabbath day which yes I affirm that it was created, commanded, and made HOLY by God himself as a day of rest as He rested after 6 days of creation He rested the seventh day. And was very explicit for us to remember, keep, and observe by doing no work every seventh day. Now I think you’re onto something here regarding the New moons ( as indicating a new month ) and I think God created the sun moon and stars also to serve as our unchangable tools to determine Gods created and ordained Sabbath and Holy days… but today as we know the calendar to be as well as the Jews have kept very close watchful eyes on keeping the seventh day Sabbath through many generations it has been kept on the Seventh day.
Also as mentioned ad defining the Day as a 24 hr period, my personal understanding of this is that the 24hr period of a day is man made, did God not divide the day and night, the sun to rule the day and the moon for the night. for if the day is defined as a 24hr period then what defines a night? Therefore I believe it must be defined as a 12 hr cycle 12 hrs is a day and 12 hrs is a night. Even Jesus himself who is God and is creator of the day and night in the New Testament he did quote
John 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
Personally I understand a Day as I believe is created to be a 12 hr cycle sunrise to sunset. And I conduct accordingly.
I mean no judgement or argument by my personal understanding and views except that I simply am expressing them and thank you for your replies

Thanks much, Joseph. You reminded me of a verse i had forgotten:

Matt 5:10 ESV
“Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

It seems obvious that the Sabbath Commandment has been considered the least important of the “top 10 written by the Hand of God”. And if we “follow Jesus” as our Lord/Savior/Forever-Friend then we might want to keep His rest day, too.

Luke 4:16 ESV
“And he (Jesus) came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.”

So, if Jesus was working as a carpenter 6 days a week, as the Commandment stated, and rested the 7th day and devoted it to serving/loving God, as He was instructed, then it is difficult to see why we shouldn’t at least consider doing the same…

But, in the past, after i saw how much the Scriptures stress Sabbath, i became kind of obsessed with it and got pretty self-righteous with others about it. Wrong heart. So now i am just asking folks to try it, anyway they think He may be leading them.

To follow up on my previous posting about doing an “experiment”, my day yesterday (Saturday) seemed more peaceful, and i had time to spend with a friend who is recovering from a serious physical condition, and i had a delicious meal. All of which could have been influenced or biased by my expectations.

Or, maybe, He is calling many of us to see for ourselves if He wants to bless us in a special way on His special day. And most importantly, to “keep Him” with us on every day (which is actually Him keeping us, of course).

By the way, Joseph, i once did some research and found that your namesake, in the Bible (Genesis Chap 30-50), is like Jesus in more than 40 ways. Have you ever seen that?

I think it is admirable that both you, Joseph @JPederson, and Dean @DeanW have set it in your hearts to observe the commandments and Jewish Sabbath. I believe you have set for yourselves standards and also ways to observe those standards that is well-pleasing to God.

Dean, I think the verse you were referring to was Matthew 5:19. Jesus goes on in that chapter to expound on some of those commandments in verses 21 thru Matt. 7:1. He actually raises the bar and sets a higher standard for the commandments as well as for daily living. Take, for instance, the command not to murder. One may not commit homicide, but Jesus said that if you are angry with your brother you will be subject to judgment. Or, if you call someone an idiot or a fool, you are subject to the fires of hell.

Paul tells us in 1 Cor. 10:31 that whatever we do should be done to glorify God and not to cause Jew or Greek to stumble. This applied to foods eaten, but can also pertain to the Sabbath. Paul said that whomever he was with, he did as they did in order to advance the gospel. (1 Cor. 9: 19-23). Paul, a Jew, declared himself not under the Jewish law, but observed the law in order to win the Jews to Christ.

I, personally, am not convinced one day is above the other when it comes to keeping the Sabbath, but that we observe the Spirit of the Sabbath as more important than the literal Jewish day.

I think you should continue to do what is right in your hearts, and not violate your consciences, keeping in mind that Jesus did set a higher standard. Let us glorify God whether we observe the Sabbath on Friday to Saturday, or Sunday, or Monday… Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets, although what He accomplished is still ongoing until the Day of the Lord. So, let us strive to live the life we live in Christ as our utmost standard.

In Matthew 6:33, He tells us to seek righteousness first (so that we don’t worry), but the principle is still the holds in all that we do. Jesus said that the greatest command was to love the Lord with all our hearts, …and our neighbor as ourselves. (Matthew 22:37-40). All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. Those two commands take precedence over all the others.
Great discussion.

1 Like

Hi, Sharon. Thanks for correcting me on the Matthew 5:19 verse – i miskeyed the 9 as a 0.

You gave an illustration of Christ’s setting a higher standard for the Commandments:
“Take, for instance, the command not to murder. One may not commit homicide, but Jesus said that if you are angry with your brother you will be subject to judgment. Or, if you call someone an idiot or a fool, you are subject to the fires of hell.”

Yes, i see that He used some of the “top 10” in various illustrations, and applied them to the “heart”, not just to external actions/sins. And since He gave us the 10 written in stone by His own Hand, that would mean the 4th Commandment would be a matter of the heart, also.

I have heard it said, and i accept it, that the 1st and 2nd “summary Commandments” were to “Love God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength”, which summarizes the first 4 Commandments, and to “Love your neighbor as yourself”, which sumamrizes the last 6 Commandments.

Regarding your statement:
“Paul tells us in 1 Cor. 10:31 that whatever we do should be done to glorify God and not to cause Jew or Greek to stumble. This applied to foods eaten, but can also pertain to the Sabbath. Paul said that whomever he was with, he did as they did in order to advance the gospel. (1 Cor. 9: 19-23). Paul, a Jew, declared himself not under the Jewish law, but observed the law in order to win the Jews to Christ.”

What your are saying here seems to me to apply to the add-on Jewish commandments, but the 10 Commandments (along with the 2 summary Commandments), are eternal principles, rather than culturally limited commands. Paul assumes his readers and potential converts understand that they are not to lie, cheat, steal, murder, commit adultery, hate parents, covet, etc. So when he talks about being like others to win them to Christ, he is not saying he violates the 10 Commandments in order to do so. He kept the Sabbath both before and after he was transformed from Saul to Paul, as Scripture makes clear.

You said,
“I, personally, am not convinced one day is above the other when it comes to keeping the Sabbath, but that we observe the Spirit of the Sabbath as more important than the literal Jewish day.”

The 7th Day was made “holy” by God, separated for rest with Him at the end of the Creation week, so it was not just a Jewish tradition originally. In Christ, all days are “holy”, yet He was the One through whom the Creation was manifested (according to John 1), and thus it was He that initiated the first “Sabbath”, even as He carved the 4th Commandment in stone at Sinai. Perhaps He has a deeper meaning/reason for a fixed day of special dedication to Him on His selected day than we can easily perceive.

For one thing, remembering the Sabbath and what He has done for our Creation, Redemption, Salvation, Sanctification, and then spending an entire day per week (He chose the 7th, not the Jews) with minimum distractions shows who our God is – in both Testaments.

But, again, i don’t want to get “legalistic” about it, i just want to reach toward obeying His Word, and directions, rather than forgetting what He has asked us to remember. And i am so imperfect in my feeble attempts to have the “heart of His special day” that there is no room for self-righteousness, when i am honest with myself.

I appreciate your openness and encouragement. And i ask you, have you tried the experiment of asking Him if there is any way you can move toward obeying His 4th Hand-written Direction without suppressing the Spirit He wants to live through us? Might be interesting.

1 Like